Sign in to follow this  
 cornwall canary

Old newspaper report

Thought this might be of interest. I am in the process of moving house and in the clear out I came across and old newspaper, not knowing why I had kept it I turned to the back page where there was a full page picture of Jeremy Goss scoring his goal against Bayern Munich. I thought I would share part of the report with you.

"Maybe the cynics will sit up now, take notice and recognise Norwich for what they are - the best side the premeirship has, with the exception of Man Utd".

I probably knew it would not get any better than that, that''s why I kept the newspaper.

Hope I haven''t depressed everyone too much.

I''ve often wished I had kept many of the newspaper reports from that era.

Don''t fancy typing out the whole thing, do you?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/norwich-falls-out-of-love-with-delia-698709.htmlWhat about this from 2000? ''

For as long as anyone can remember, the nation has adored Delia

Smith. But that enduring popularity is now being threatened by a

mini-revolt, and at the heart of the furore are Delia''s two greatest

loves - cooking and football.

For as long as anyone can

remember, the nation has adored Delia Smith. But that enduring

popularity is now being threatened by a mini-revolt, and at the heart

of the furore are Delia''s two greatest loves - cooking and football.

The

spark of the crisis has been the terrible early-season form of Norwich

City Football Club, the team in which Delia owns a 58 per cent stake.

The row, however, has been compounded by accusations that Delia is

showing more interest in the club''s catering than in the performance of

the team.

While "the Canaries" languishes near the bottom of the

First Division, it has sold its two best players in recent years for

£10m, and Norwich supporters claim the most obvious sign of investment

has been the opening of Delia''s own restaurant at the club - the

£22.50-a-head Delia''s City Brasserie. She has also brought quality meat

pies from Lancashire to the terraces, replacing the soggy southern ones

on sale before.

"I don''t know if her heart is really in how the

team does. She is more interested in how her restaurant is doing,"

complained Ian Lindsay, editor of the Norwich City fanzine Man United Are On The Telly Again.

"When

she came along, the fans thought she was the best thing since sliced

bread." But, he added, "the fans have started moaning".

Lee Denington, who contributes to the fanzine, said: "We have a lovely restaurant, but they don''t spend money on the players."

At

the Brasserie, supporters can treat themselves to recipes freshly

picked from Delia''s books including, on last night''s menu, Italian bean

and pasta soup with Parmesan cheese, duck rillettes with a confit of

soured cherries, toasted onion bread and watercress, and spiced

Tunisian aubergine salad with coriander and mint - and they''re just for

starters.

"It is of very great concern being at the bottom," says

Mr Denington. "You are watching them playing really well and they are

still at the bottom. So you know the other teams must be spending

money. If we are still there at the halfway stage, the fans will be on

her back."

Delia, 59, became a director at Norwich in 1996, and

is said to have sunk some £5m of her own money into the club. In the

early Nineties, Norwich was riding high in the Premier League, playing

European football against the likes of Bayern Munich. Last Tuesday,

they were playing away to Stockport County. Delia took control of a

debt-ridden club from the despised Robert Chase, who himself was a

victim of a fans'' campaign to oust him as chairman.

Delia and her

husband, Michael Wynn Jones, a publisher with links to Sainsbury, have

long been passionate Norwich supporters. In March this year, she was

reported to have postponed her next BBC series, along with what would

have been by most reckonings her 28th cookbook, in order to devote more

time to the club.

She said at the time: "Working at the club I

found a whole new energy. I feel it is something new and I want to

dedicate myself to it. I''m an all-or-nothing person."

She was

unavailable for comment last week on the fortunes of her team - she was

on holiday with her husband in France - but the club''s chairman, Bob

Cooper, said: "I don''t think the fans have been disappointed by the

team''s performances. The team have played pretty well in most games...

but what they have been disappointed with is the lack of points."

Mr

Cooper, who, until two years ago, was a director at Sainsbury, said the

money invested in the catering facilities came exclusively from private

funds and sponsorship, and "could not have been used for football

players".

"Delia goes to every one of the matches," said Mr

Cooper. "She is a supporter through and through. She loves every

moment. She is a true fan of Norwich. What we have done is manage the

debt situation. She has put money in and we have worked very hard to be

in the strongest position we have been in for a number of years."

Norwich

is a once-proud club with a pedigree of Premier League football, its

low position made all the more galling by the success of its East

Anglian rival, Ipswich. For the moment, Delia has been spared the fans''

barracking - a drop into the Second Division may change all that.''.

Wow.

[quote user=" cornwall canary"]

Thought this might be of interest. I am in the process of moving house and in the clear out I came across and old newspaper, not knowing why I had kept it I turned to the back page where there was a full page picture of Jeremy Goss scoring his goal against Bayern Munich. I thought I would share part of the report with you.

"Maybe the cynics will sit up now, take notice and recognise Norwich for what they are - the best side the premeirship has, with the exception of Man Utd".

I probably knew it would not get any better than that, that''s why I kept the newspaper.

[/quote]

[:''(]

[quote user="Evil"]I''ve often wished I had kept many of the newspaper reports from that era.

Don''t fancy typing out the whole thing, do you?[/quote]Many of them are in the newspaper cuttings display booklet I got you Christmas before last. Daft bugger. [;)]

[/quote]Oh how you cling to that one night of success against Bayern !!! Is that the best you can come up with ? No you won the Milk cup too didnt you ?? lol. what a great History of success you have.Mind you the johnstones Paint pot could be adorning your Trophy cabinet in the not too distant future.

[quote user="bluemike"][quote user=" cornwall canary"]

[/quote]Oh how you cling to that one night of success against Bayern !!! Is that the best you can come up with ? No you won the Milk cup too didnt you ?? lol. what a great History of success you have.Mind you the johnstones Paint pot could be adorning your Trophy cabinet in the not too distant future.
[/quote]

Not quite as sad as trawling through a forum that has nothing to do with you looking for a fight.

Let me guess, you were bullied at school?

Try and get a life.

[/quote]

Cornwall, I did a similar thing and kept a few of the European papers because I had a gut feeling that it would all come to an end soon (even got Gossy to sign the pics of him).  Likewise, I kept loads of stuff from the Championship winning season.  Papers, tickets, photos, etc, because you never know when things will turn quickly, as it sadly did.

[/quote]

and i really hope it is... yet another trophy that we will rightly claim... when did Ipswich last thing anythng of note.. the 70''s wasn''t it... since then we have won the milk cup and 2 league titles. i''d welcome the silverware of the johnstones paint as we rack up yet another trophy in the 3 decades since you last won one.....

jas :)

This is VERY sad of me, but I still have the October 20th, 1993, edition of the Munchener Merkur, with the headline:1:2 gegen Norwich. FC Bayern scheitert an englischer ClevernessRoughly, 1-2 against Norwich. Bayern lose out to English cunning. Oh, for some of that "cleverness" now.

[/quote]

I actually thought you were okish for a scummer before seeing this comment. How dare you come on here and take the p*ss, just because the green un messageboard gets barely more than a wimper, most of your backward fans probably dont know what the internet is.

Why dont we look at the last 20 years? The simple fact of the matter is that the last time you won ANYTHING is in 1991/1992 (18 years ago) when you won the second tier of English football. In that same period we had 3 top 5 Premiership finishes in a 5 season period. We won that second tier 5 years ago remember?

An Ipswich fan has absolutely nothing to brag about in terms of success when in reality you lot have been subjected to exactly the same mediocrity as us. Neither sets of fans has absolutely any right to brag about the success of their team. Before you mention the UEFA cup, be reminded that you are fast approaching the 30th anniversary of that success, I wasnt even born then. Dont get jealous because you havent won the league cup (and the league cup meant something in those days)

The fact that the last thing you lot have to brag about is from 1981 says it all. Many would be open minded to the fact that Norwich were prevented from other appearances in European competition due to the ban on English clubs entering the competition.

The truth is that both clubs are sh*t and both have been run poorly (although Norwich in a much more socially acceptable manner).

cornwall canary wrote:

Cornwall, I did a similar thing and kept a few of the European papers because I had a gut feeling that it would all come to an end soon (even got Gossy to sign the pics of him).  Likewise, I kept loads of stuff from the Championship winning season.  Papers, tickets, photos, etc, because you never know when things will turn quickly, as it sadly did.

JJ, That was the only newspaper I ever kept. I used to have Pinkun''s from the 1960''s but unfortunately they were lost over the years. All I have now is about 40 - 50 Norwich programmes from the 1960''s and 70''s.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="bluemike"][quote user=" cornwall canary"]

[/quote]Oh how you cling to that one night of success against Bayern !!! Is that the best you can come up with ? No you won the Milk cup too didnt you ?? lol. what a great History of success you have.Mind you the johnstones Paint pot could be adorning your Trophy cabinet in the not too distant future.[/quote]

I actually thought you were okish for a scummer before seeing this comment. How dare you come on here and take the p*ss, just because the green un messageboard gets barely more than a wimper, most of your backward fans probably dont know what the internet is.

Why dont we look at the last 20 years? The simple fact of the matter is that the last time you won ANYTHING is in 1991/1992 (18 years ago) when you won the second tier of English football. In that same period we had 3 top 5 Premiership finishes in a 5 season period. We won that second tier 5 years ago remember?

An Ipswich fan has absolutely nothing to brag about in terms of success when in reality you lot have been subjected to exactly the same mediocrity as us. Neither sets of fans has absolutely any right to brag about the success of their team. Before you mention the UEFA cup, be reminded that you are fast approaching the 30th anniversary of that success, I wasnt even born then. Dont get jealous because you havent won the league cup (and the league cup meant something in those days)

The fact that the last thing you lot have to brag about is from 1981 says it all. Many would be open minded to the fact that Norwich were prevented from other appearances in European competition due to the ban on English clubs entering the competition.

The truth is that both clubs are sh*t and both have been run poorly (although Norwich in a much more socially acceptable manner).

[/quote]Fair point Ryan, I was a bit out of order with my comments and for that I apologise, it was just meant to be banter but I can see that it was not funny. I disagree with the backward fans bit though lol, as some are really quite intelligent for scummers !!! Anyhow many apologies.

Sigh, wish I was around for the european nights. if we hadnt been so mismanaged over the years we couldve been one of the countries top sides now. thanks for posting.