Sign in to follow this  
birdman

Rebuild from the bottom up

barrington belgrave!! that''s a blast from the past! Well Watts (is this who you mean CW?) is making a mistake if this is true... hopefully it isn''t as it would rule out a lot of talent...

Your son should never give in if he has the passion and skill, another observation on Academy football is the majority of boys that are signed up at a young age 8-10 never make it all the way through the Academy system.

Another question Chirp is what would be your advice to young players that have been released and still have the passion and drive as from my experience from talking to players and their parents it is very hard to get a foot in the next door.

[quote user="birdman"]Mantra started by Nigel Worthington bring me bigstrapping athletes and I''ll teach them to kick a football". Talented, average sized players need not apply. [/quote]How does that square with signing Wesley Hoolahan?  Have things not changed?

I don''t like to wade into debates that in all fairness I know very little about but so far as my knowledge goes the FA are trying to change the approach of accademies are they not?To turn a promising youngster away at 10 or 11 over size issues is a bit crazy if you ask me but a 16, 17 or 18 year old is a slightly different story. However they have given contracts to players in the past that are not physically imposing - Martin and Eagle are examples of those.