Sign in to follow this  
LQ

A few simple facts about shares

I know this is being discussed on another thread but as that''s an FAO NCISA one I thought I''d post this anew so that hopefully more people see it.

(and I know I''m going to be damned for continually posting stuff about getting money into the Club, but hey, that''s me - this Club means more to me than who owns it and I''ll keep banging on about getting money in because in this game money talks!)

As Purple Canary has rightly pointed out there are around 33,000 shares available in the Club. These aren''t owned by anyone at the moment so all monies raised by selling them would go straight into the Club coffers NOT Delia & Michael''s privately squirreled away stash (that was a joke btw!)

The shares are £30 each and are sold as a minimum purchase of 4 = £120.00

Why haven''t they sold and why have they been sitting there for a couple of years? Good question! Here''s an answer:

1) People generally buy during an issue ie when shares are first released. They don''t tend to wake up one morning and think "oh, today I''ll buy some shares in NCFC". Also, and obviously, it''s easier to sell shares when the team is on the up, although that''s usually when money is less desperately needed!

2) The Club can''t offer you shares. It''s one of those very annoying laws that means someone would end up eating gruel and staring at the bars on a cell window all day - or playing PS2 games and getting cheap phonecards, one or the other. You can ask them to sell you shares but they can''t say "do you want to buy some?" That''s the law. It''s not Delia not wanting to dilute her holding by keeping schtum. It''s the law.

If these 33,000 shares were bought up it would generate around a million pounds which (one would hope) would go towards the team and increase the player budget giving us a better chance of success at getting out of L1.

NB: I am NOT saying "buy some shares otherwise you''re not a real fan". I am saying that if you want to put money directly into the Club and ok, it may not result on you being on the Board but you do get a vote at the AGM at least then this is one way to do it. A way that the Club can''t legally push but the facts should be out there, as it were.

Fair comments.

If iwas to take 1 of my millions ouwld i buy shares now values at 30gbp each to get on a Board where no other Director had paid that price ever.  Especially when the "value" of the stock i am buying just took a nose dive fromChampionship to Div 1

No i think i''ll keep my 1million thanks

I daresay that if someone came along with £1million to buy up all those shares they would probably be invited on to the Board!

What I am talking about here is normal people, not millionaires, looking for a way to get cash into this Club to give it a better chance of getting out of this bloody league - that''s all.

[quote user="LQ"]I daresay that if someone came along with £1million to buy up all those shares they would probably be invited on to the Board!

What I am talking about here is normal people, not millionaires, looking for a way to get cash into this Club to give it a better chance of getting out of this bloody league - that''s all.

[/quote]

Good try LQ.

Lloyds bank were trading at £10 now down to 40p that''s true value!!

Realistic value of those shares.......... if any value.

They were £17.50ish when DS bought her forst lot and the club is in a worse state now.

Then again you don''t buy these shares to make money do you!

But why pay the price of the share set by the Board who have never paid that representitive price ever?

If you want to be a benefactor you may as well give the cash direct & make it conditional it gets spent on players, equipment, cookers whatever so you are sure your money gets spent where you want

[quote user="LQ"]I know this is being discussed on another thread but as that''s an FAO NCISA one I thought I''d post this anew so that hopefully more people see it.

(and I know I''m going to be damned for continually posting stuff about getting money into the Club, but hey, that''s me - this Club means more to me than who owns it and I''ll keep banging on about getting money in because in this game money talks!)

As Purple Canary has rightly pointed out there are around 33,000 shares available in the Club. These aren''t owned by anyone at the moment so all monies raised by selling them would go straight into the Club coffers NOT Delia & Michael''s privately squirreled away stash (that was a joke btw!)

The shares are £30 each and are sold as a minimum purchase of 4 = £120.00

Why haven''t they sold and why have they been sitting there for a couple of years? Good question! Here''s an answer:

1) People generally buy during an issue ie when shares are first released. They don''t tend to wake up one morning and think "oh, today I''ll buy some shares in NCFC". Also, and obviously, it''s easier to sell shares when the team is on the up, although that''s usually when money is less desperately needed!

2) The Club can''t offer you shares. It''s one of those very annoying laws that means someone would end up eating gruel and staring at the bars on a cell window all day - or playing PS2 games and getting cheap phonecards, one or the other. You can ask them to sell you shares but they can''t say "do you want to buy some?" That''s the law. It''s not Delia not wanting to dilute her holding by keeping schtum. It''s the law.

If these 33,000 shares were bought up it would generate around a million pounds which (one would hope) would go towards the team and increase the player budget giving us a better chance of success at getting out of L1.

NB: I am NOT saying "buy some shares otherwise you''re not a real fan". I am saying that if you want to put money directly into the Club and ok, it may not result on you being on the Board but you do get a vote at the AGM at least then this is one way to do it. A way that the Club can''t legally push but the facts should be out there, as it were.

[/quote]

It may be a silly question, but I will ask anyhow.  Why are they only sold as a minimum of 4?  Maybe if they made the shares a little cheaper to buy the public would dig into their pockets a bit more.  But £120 is like 2 weeks shopping for us, so it''s a fair bit of money to wave goodbye to.

Could the club give them away though ?  Not offering shares as such, but giving them away for free with, for example, a season ticket / canaries world subscription / club shirt bundle ?

LQ (or anyone else for that matter) - how is the price of £30 arrived at?  I assume it is set by the board?

[quote user="Ren"]LQ (or anyone else for that matter) - how is the price of £30 arrived at?  I assume it is set by the board?[/quote]

Indeed, wasn''t always 30quid, they''ve put it up so their holdings have a much higher recorded worth than they paid for them

[quote user="Ren"]LQ (or anyone else for that matter) - how is the price of £30 arrived at?  I assume it is set by the board?[/quote]It is set by the board.What the calculation they do to get this is you personal opinion and that ranges on here from "what value says GO AWAY loudest to a new investor?", "how much can I milk from the club?" to "I am an evil little binner so..."  if you think it was set on any possible sane measure of club value, you are likely to be hounded out of here.

I just thought that it had been 25 pounds since 199x probably, so they added a fiver to cover inflation.  But then I am a very simple chap.

[quote]it''s all ''by the by'' really as most will argue the shares aren''t worth nowhere near £25 either.[/quote]Of course they aren''t, but if somehow information was to become available that all shares purchased would go into the transfer kitty, would you mind ?  Or would you buy them anyway ?

I''ll answer what I can - for any more info I suggest you email Neil Donca...oh...hang on...Anyway, I don''t know why 4 is the minimum purchase. No they can''t give them away - what would be the point? There''s no money in giving them away. The price is the price. If you''re dead set on taking your rebate (and how could you after all my wonderful points???) perhaps look at putting money back like this if you want to and if you can afford to? You can argue till you''re blue in the face (god forbid) about what who paid for what but that doesn''t change things. We''re not talking about someone offering takeover type deals here (in which case the ''price'' of anyones shares is negotiable) we''re talking about small investors (fans) wanting to put funds into their team if they so choose. In return you get to stick your hand up at the AGM and pop a certificate on your wall.Sorry for trying to come up with something constructive and legal to push this Club forwards. I won''t be whinging and slagging off people who have kept putting money in over the years, I''ll just be looking for constructive ways to bring more in if that''s ok?

[quote] No they can''t give them away - what would be the point? There''s no money in giving them away.[/quote]If you can sell a 400 pound season ticket for 520 pounds and give them away ?  Nah, you''re right, stupid idea... [:)]

Ok what if shares could be broken into singles?  And ST rebate could be paid in the form of shares.  Cash would to the T kitty hopefully.  And fans would see a piece of paper for doing their extra bit.

If NCFC offered me 3 shares for my rebate (I am owed £73, I think), then they can keep it.  So far this is the only suggestion that would tempt me into letting the money go. 

As I have said before, its the principle for me.  It is the only way that I have to express my disatisfaction for the last 4 seasons. 

Yes I could write a letter, but would it be read?

I could cancel my ST, but what would be the point, I love my Saturdays watching City.  

I could pay Division 2 prices for Division 3 football, but sorry I am not a mug!  

Ill take the refund thanks, unless a scheme something like shares for rebate is dreamt up!

Ok, I''m not sure about the legalities of issuing shares in less than 4 or offering them in lieu of a rebate but we seem to be getting somewhere here.If you took the rebate would you apply for shares off your own back effectively using that money to pay for them (or part way towards them)? That''s what seems to be being said?As far as I''m aware legally you would have to ask the Club for a share application form - they couldn''t just send you one on spec.

[quote user="LQ"] If you''re dead set on taking your rebate (and how could you after all my wonderful points???) perhaps look at putting money back like this if you want to and if you can afford to? You can argue till you''re blue in the face (god forbid) about what who paid for what but that doesn''t change things.Sorry for trying to come up with something constructive and legal to push this Club forwards. I won''t be whinging and slagging off people who have kept putting money in over the years, I''ll just be looking for constructive ways to bring more in if that''s ok?

[/quote]

How much are the club paying you Lisa?? [:)]

They''re paying me in hopes and dreams CA - although they don''t know that of course!! [A]To buy them try phoning the Club. They should put a share application form in the post. Fill it in, write your cheque, send it back and hey presto, you get a new piece of art for the lounge wall![;)]

[quote user="LQ"]Ok, I''m not sure about the legalities of issuing shares in less than 4 or offering them in lieu of a rebate but we seem to be getting somewhere here.If you took the rebate would you apply for shares off your own back effectively using that money to pay for them (or part way towards them)? That''s what seems to be being said?As far as I''m aware legally you would have to ask the Club for a share application form - they couldn''t just send you one on spec.[/quote]I guess the easiest way around the rebate problem (73 into 120 doesn''t stretch) would be to simply donate the money to the supporters trust, unless...on a share certificate for 4 shares, can multiple people be named ?  Buying 2 shares each ?  In which case could you have "share buddies" ?

Yes, the NCST http://www.inthehandsofthefans.co.uk/ will buy shares with your hard earned and are looking to build this up to a level high enough to make a demand for a fan on the Board.Not sure about how many can be named as shareholders, or even if a married couple can.Ask for an application form and see what it says!Share-buddies sounds like fun though [;)]

[quote user="LQ"]Ok, I''m not sure about the legalities of issuing shares in less than 4 or offering them in lieu of a rebate but we seem to be getting somewhere here.

If you took the rebate would you apply for shares off your own back effectively using that money to pay for them (or part way towards them)? That''s what seems to be being said?

As far as I''m aware legally you would have to ask the Club for a share application form - they couldn''t just send you one on spec.

[/quote]

Thanks for your replies, but here is the problem for me & prob for others, I already own shares from the last two issues and I really dont want any more as they are pretty worthless really, lets be honest!  However if the club were to offer me some at a discount I would probably wave the money and add to my holding, I dont want to add another £47 to get the 4 shares at £30 each though. 

I guess the problem lies in the fact that the club may not be able to market them, although they did when the issued them twice before.

If someone at NCFC could come up with a way round this maybe a few more people may just convert their rebate into shares. 

Over to you LQ at NCFC! ;-)

Can the club not upload a pdf of the share application form onto their site for willing buyers to print off, fill in and send off? Or is this advertising the shares for sale and illegal? Just a thought...

I''ll gladly put one up on the PinkUn site if that''s allowed?

REN you''re just being cheeky now!I''ll see if I can check with someone at the Club what the score is with pdfs and such, as well as why you have to buy 4 at least, that''s if they''re still taking my emails!!

Thing is are any of you actually confident of our current Board with any additional money?? Track record would dictate getting it wrong in off field spend & backing the wrong manager (which they''ve done again) to spend on the field.

Throwing more money at incompetants will not solve the dilema NCFC find themselves in