Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Time to get behind Gunn?

Any supporter of the club should get behind Gunn. I want Norwich City to succeed and that means that Gunn has to succeed. I will admit that the appointment did not blow me away but previous appointments - Hamilton, Grant, Roeder certainly were no better and that is where the problem lies. Some very poor appointments have been made and the only constant is the board. Save your anger for the board and support the manager and the team.

Look on the bright side .... if the team does well then the club could be a more lucrative proposition for somebody to come in and buy!

[quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="supercol"]

I was not happy about his appointment either, but you are right we need to now get behind the team , after all we are all Norwich City supporters. I get the impression that ceratin people on here cannot wait for him to fail so they can have another whinge. I cannot stand the idiots who say things like "Dont buy any merchandise from the club shop" or "Dont get behind the team, its just what the board want" what do they expect us to do ? Will they be happy if nobody goes to matches or buys anything from the club shop and the club suffers ? They make snide remarks from the sidelines , probably never go near Carrow Road, they are imbeciles.

Hear Hear - well said The Chirp - probably why most people who support the team  dont bother to write on here cos they just get slapped down by the people who want the the club to fail. 

[/quote]

I can''t stand prize knobs like yourself whose logic in backing the team/club despite what you think has seen our club fall to it''s lowest ebb in 50 years.

[/quote]

i can''t understand people like you who spout out loads of abuse all the time at anyone who has a different view to something than you... calling someone a prized knob? Very mature.

This messageboard has gone down hill more than the club recently. People attacking people etc... not on... Gunn has got the job, get over it! The board won''t go until someone buys them out... get that into your brain!

I know you''ll carry on, all of you... picking up on every little thing you can and turning it round... I would love Gunn to succeed... sadly bar going up as champions i think you lot would be on his back even if we went up in second place.

[/quote]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

Any supporter of the club should get behind Gunn. I want Norwich City to succeed and that means that Gunn has to succeed. I will admit that the appointment did not blow me away but previous appointments - Hamilton, Grant, Roeder certainly were no better and that is where the problem lies. Some very poor appointments have been made and the only constant is the board. Save your anger for the board and support the manager and the team.

Look on the bright side .... if the team does well then the club could be a more lucrative proposition for somebody to come in and buy!

[/quote]

Yellow wall,do you not see that we are just going round and round, the "just support the team line" has been done to death and i''m afraid it doesn''t work, we need a strong experienced manager not another mistake of a manager who hasn''t got a clue,just sitting back and crossing our fingers that Gunn turns into a manager overnight is whats got us into league 1 in the first bloody place!  Why will Gunn suddenly turn into a good manager because as always 25000 of us will cheer the team on come the first home game of the season? I can''t believe how many fans come out with that same old drivel,just support the team and forget about the crap manager and pathetic board because thats worked soooo well over the last three years hasn''t it?.

I said last year that we would struggle and my mates agreed. This year, I have a sneaky feeling that Gunn and co will get it right and we will do well this year. Reasons why? I don''t know, but I have a feeling that Gunn will gets some players in that will do the job, he may have cocked up on a lot of things, but I thought the players he brought in were decent, didn''t complete the job but I think Gunn and his team do have an eye. I also think that layers like Semmy, Curo and Patty will find their level and play a lot better in a lower league, they can''t do worse.

I am prepared for some flak, but I have a sneaky feeling that we will do well. I will support Gunn, I don''t think that it will serve any purpose not to, Delia needs getting at, not Gunn. Yes, we could get to Delia by getting at Gunn, but I would prefer the team to do well and get back where we belong.

Don''t be too harsh on me please[:D].

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Patches OHoolahan"]

I was not at all happy at the appointment of Mr Gunn, however I think it would be naive to hope for his removal as manager until the board are gone, and even then I think he will be given time depending on how he has done and the personality of the new board- it wouldn''t look good to sack a club legend if we were top of League One.

[/quote]

Won''t happen because if the board go, he will go.

Bryan Gunn

P19 W5 D5 L9  win% 26.4

He had lots of time and he did nothing with it.  Waste of space.  Sack him.
[/quote]

So again why Gunn. Surely if getting the current leadership out will altimately end with Gunn going as well why go for him.

As for what others have said - I would not hold anything against gunn for wanting to get the club out of where it is. I also do not blame Gunn for the results that we had over the last 19 games of the season. As I have said elsewhere some of the players reacted and others did not, on the whole the players he brought in were an improvement on what we already had or at least provided us with some alternatives.

Shackell, Gow, Mooney, Lee and MacDonald - all good signings in my view for our predicament at that point in time. Mooney scored 3 in nine appearences and compared to Lita''s 7 in 16 it isn''t that far off is it? Of the players that were here - Hoolahan started to look the player we all thought he could be, Semi started to look like a player full stop. The others that disappointed were mainly our own in the form of Fotheringham and Patty.

Sure you may have been able to turn some more of those around but at the end of the day our squad was too weak. It came down to the last few games and those that had slugged their guts out for the entire season like Clingan seemed to have nothing left to give or like Marshall and Croft had already left in the back of their minds at least.

I am not saying that he had no part to play - I just think that it would have taken one heck of a manager to come in and turn it around with the players we had in at the time that Gunn took over. Remember he had only 8 days to make any permanent signings.
[/quote]

Dear Chicken,

Who said that anybody was targetting Gunn... of course you are right that he should not be public enemy number one... that is of course saved for the cook.

However, to say that he should not be criticised and that all fans should get behind him is quite frankly laughable.

[/quote]

Swish, swash, forward, lunge and back.

Whilst you make a good point I am afraid it misses its mark - at no point do I issue a rallying call to get behind Gunn and give him all we have got (actually saying it like that sounds rather dodgy!). What I have sasked is that why are people are less willing to give him a chance than they have been with the last two managers and yet so far in terms of signings he has arguably done better?

I have then suggested that he is becoming the fall guy for the board and at the end of the day asking for his removal or suggesting that we should have had a different manager would not change our predicament and would not nessisarily lead to an improvement in results or in the direction of the club.

If there is anyone to blame for all of this it is the current board - not just ''the cook'' she is joint majority shareholder that surely means her partner has a say? And the other board members who could quite easily step forward and undermine anyone who is becoming a failing point of the club. Gunn is an almost pointless target in this respect - it would just lead to yet another manager who the players may or may not like, another cheap alternative manager (unless you are delusioned to think otherwise) and yet more angry fans. The problem is we could go through risky but cheap option managers until we find another Worthington but we could be conference by then - and that is the whole reason why it has to come back to the board. They offered or kept Gunn in the job.

Don''t blame him for taking it. It was my dream as kid and a young adult to play for Norwich, as time goes on you realise what kind of a dream that is - now being a bit older and putting together my own team if I was offered the managers job by pure fluke I would bite their hands off. That is just how Gunn is, he bleeds yellow and green - you would never have to ask him twice, you would always no what the answer would be.
[/quote]

I agree with you my little Chick Pea... however the main title of the the thread and original posters message asks the question if now is the "time to get behind Gunn?"

I would say if you do not believe that he is the man for the job then most certainly not.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

I said last year that we would struggle and my mates agreed. This year, I have a sneaky feeling that Gunn and co will get it right and we will do well this year. Reasons why? I don''t know, but I have a feeling that Gunn will gets some players in that will do the job, he may have cocked up on a lot of things, but I thought the players he brought in were decent, didn''t complete the job but I think Gunn and his team do have an eye. I also think that layers like Semmy, Curo and Patty will find their level and play a lot better in a lower league, they can''t do worse.

I am prepared for some flak, but I have a sneaky feeling that we will do well. I will support Gunn, I don''t think that it will serve any purpose not to, Delia needs getting at, not Gunn. Yes, we could get to Delia by getting at Gunn, but I would prefer the team to do well and get back where we belong.

Don''t be too harsh on me please[:D].

[/quote]

Not going to be harsh on you because after all your entitled to your opinion,i just cant get past the fact that Gunn made mistake after mistake with team choice and in every game he didn''t make subsitutions untill it was too late,he never came close to getting us out of trouble and will strugle to make an impact with the youth and freebies that he has got to find this summer,in all honesty this fecking board won''t back any manager with money and Gunns lack of experience will show,i just feel that a manager who actually is a manager not an odd job man would give us a better chance of staying in the top half of the table,Gunn is just anothet puppet and Delia and the board should not be allowed to get away with another huge mistake!

I agree in respects of his subs choice and sometimes tactical non nohow, but surely he will learn from his mistakes and lean more on the other 3?

I think that we have gone for the cheap option and everyone knows this, I think the board will not risk too much wrath of us fans by not giving him anything, I know we are skint but they will have to loosen the purse strings or the worst will happen.

I agree in respects of his subs choice and sometimes tactical non nohow, but surely he will learn from his mistakes and lean more on the other 3?

I think that we have gone for the cheap option and everyone knows this, I think the board will not risk too much wrath of us fans by not giving him anything, I know we are skint but they will have to loosen the purse strings or the worst will happen.

[/quote]

We don''t have time for him to learn from his mistakes,League 1 is a bloody nightmare to get out of and Gunns lack of experience will show,as for the board they will not give him what they should,they haven''t backed any of the past three managers and Gunn will be no different,the sooner the fans of this club unite against the Cook the better,with her we are ruined without her we will start to rise from the depths she has sent us to.

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

[/quote]

We don''t have time for him to learn from his mistakes,League 1 is a bloody nightmare to get out of and Gunns lack of experience will show,as for the board they will not give him what they should,they haven''t backed any of the past three managers and Gunn will be no different,the sooner the fans of this club unite against the Cook the better,with her we are ruined without her we will start to rise from the depths she has sent us to.

[/quote]

Why is it so difficult to grasp that the damn cook is like a blight on our club, only at Norwich is failure rewarded.

I know we don''t have time, but Gunn may not be experienced but Butterworth has a fair bit at this level and Crook has been doing it for a while, albeit in Oz and Japan. Then there is Deehan. Plenty of inexperienced managers have done well.

They did back Grant by the way, not masses and masses but he had a fair bit and wasted a lot of it.

I know we don''t have time, but Gunn may not be experienced but Butterworth has a fair bit at this level and Crook has been doing it for a while, albeit in Oz and Japan. Then there is Deehan. Plenty of inexperienced managers have done well.

They did back Grant by the way, not masses and masses but he had a fair bit and wasted a lot of it.

[/quote]

Grant was given £12.50 and wasted it on several crap players[;)].

Lets hope that white night with plenty of cash comes troting over the hill soon!!! Oh hang on a pig has just flown over my house,could be a sign!!! God it''s so depressing being a city fan at the moment.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why is it so difficult to grasp that the damn cook is like a blight on our club, only at Norwich is failure rewarded.

[/quote]

But Wiz .... nobody is argueing about the cook the thread is about giving the manager and the team support. As I said earlier back the team, back the manager, hope for success and then perhaps the club will be easier for the shareholders to sell and keep eaveryone happy! Constant criticism of the team and manager will have little effect on the board.

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

[/quote]

Grant was given £12.50 and wasted it on several crap players[;)].

Lets hope that white night with plenty of cash comes troting over the hill soon!!! Oh hang on a pig has just flown over my house,could be a sign!!! God it''s so depressing being a city fan at the moment.

[/quote]

Your right, it so shiite being a fan at the moment and I pray for the day that we have some board with some bollox and some money.

[/quote]Are you serious? Grant had more money to spend than any other Norwich manager in the championship had to spend bar Worthington buying Earnshaw.Marshall - £800k-£1millionCureton - £800kRussell - £400kStrihavka - £750kBrown - £350kThen throw in the high earners like Fotheringham and ''le judge''.That is a fair bit of dosh if you ask me.

Strihavka was just a loan , another little white lie by the club .Do you really think we would sign a player for £750,000 and release him a few months later for nothing. Dont get behind Gunn he is nothing more than the cooks yes man , has been for 20 odd years and will remain so untill he is deservedly removed from this club .

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Strihavka was just a loan , another little white lie by the club .Do you really think we would sign a player for £750,000 and release him a few months later for nothing. Dont get behind Gunn he is nothing more than the cooks yes man , has been for 20 odd years and will remain so untill he is deservedly removed from this club .
[/quote]

An arse-wipe of the first order and considered Delia Smith''s heir to the family jewels.... our bloody jewels...

He''s just another of Smith''s catalogue of errors which has seen our once proud football club die on it''s feet transformed into little more than glorified take-away.....The supporters give.... she takes away.

Bloody Ipswich cowbag......

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Strihavka was just a loan , another little white lie by the club .Do you really think we would sign a player for £750,000 and release him a few months later for nothing. Dont get behind Gunn he is nothing more than the cooks yes man , has been for 20 odd years and will remain so untill he is deservedly removed from this club .[/quote]From good old wikipedia:"On 11 July 2007 it was confirmed that Strihavka had signed for Norwich City

for an undisclosed fee, thought to be around €1m, on a four year deal

at a press conference at the team''s Colney Training ground."Why would he sign a four year deal if there wasn''t one? If it was a loan why did he not return to the club that he came from? Even if you take that out of the equasion you are still looking at £2million + on players that we have not and will not get it back on in terms of performance or recouping the value we paid for them.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Loan City Fc "]Strihavka was just a loan , another little white lie by the club .Do you really think we would sign a player for £750,000 and release him a few months later for nothing. Dont get behind Gunn he is nothing more than the cooks yes man , has been for 20 odd years and will remain so untill he is deservedly removed from this club .[/quote]From good old wikipedia:"On 11 July 2007 it was confirmed that Strihavka had signed for Norwich City

at a press conference at the team''s Colney Training ground."Why would he sign a four year deal if there wasn''t one? If it was a loan why did he not return to the club that he came from? Even if you take that out of the equasion you are still looking at £2million + on players that we have not and will not get it back on in terms of performance or recouping the value we paid for them.[/quote]

David left Norwich on 11th January 2008 with his contract terminated

by mutual consent. His last appearance for Norwich was for 11

minutes in the November 10th clash at Plymouth which City lost

3-0.

Upon his departure, details of his contract were revealed. The

24-year-old Czech joined on an initial one-year contract with

the option for a further three years if City wished to retain

his services. That option applied to both fee and contract, with

City paying £240,000 for the first year of the deal. A further

sum in the region of £1.1m would have been payable this

summer if City had chosen to exercise their option for a further

three years.

With a bit of TLC he could have been a good player, but no way would I advocate the club spending 1.1 million on him.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="chicken"][quote user="Loan City Fc "]Strihavka was just a loan , another little white lie by the club .Do you really think we would sign a player for £750,000 and release him a few months later for nothing. Dont get behind Gunn he is nothing more than the cooks yes man , has been for 20 odd years and will remain so untill he is deservedly removed from this club .[/quote]From good old wikipedia:"On 11 July 2007 it was confirmed that Strihavka had signed for Norwich City

at a press conference at the team''s Colney Training ground."Why would he sign a four year deal if there wasn''t one? If it was a loan why did he not return to the club that he came from? Even if you take that out of the equasion you are still looking at £2million + on players that we have not and will not get it back on in terms of performance or recouping the value we paid for them.[/quote]

David left Norwich on 11th January 2008 with his contract terminated

by mutual consent. His last appearance for Norwich was for 11

minutes in the November 10th clash at Plymouth which City lost

3-0.

Upon his departure, details of his contract were revealed. The

24-year-old Czech joined on an initial one-year contract with

the option for a further three years if City wished to retain

his services. That option applied to both fee and contract, with

City paying £240,000 for the first year of the deal. A further

sum in the region of £1.1m would have been payable this

summer if City had chosen to exercise their option for a further

three years.

[/quote]Where are you getting this info from? It is not on Wiki - if you altered it then it has been taken down already. Although I think you are right in that he would have cost more had he stayed - one of the main reasons he went. However equally interesting is that even if what you say is true he still cost more than nothing didnt he?Its almost like you are trying to argue a point for the sake of it - the fact is that it seems like all the money the club saved up was put into Grant''s hands without a second thought. It also draws your mind back to the fact that we had a lot of players go for a proffit before that and the only outgoing money seems to have been given to Grant and spent on ludicrous wages.

I think you will find it is quite a well known fact that we never had Strihavka on a long term contract , anyway in my opinion he wasnt a waste of money and if he had been given a decent run in the side would have been a very decent signing .Far better than that over the hill lazy scummer Gunn will waste money on this summer.

Anyone ready for a bit of truth about David Strihavka?

[quote user="LQ"]Anyone ready for a bit of truth about David Strihavka?[/quote]Bring it on!  Unless you''re going to say "he was rubbish" in which case I think we already knew that.

Ok. Picture the scene...In Holland for the pre-season tour when Dave Strika had just signed and had a few weeks training with ''the lads'' under Granty.I find myself approximately 2 feet 6 inches from Grant and Duffy while the first game is in progress. They''re shouting (and pointing) lots all over the place and I''m eager to see how Big Dave and co are going to shape up for the new season. The sun is shining, the birds are singing and there''s a sauna waiting for me when I get back to my lodgings. All is right with the world.Nineteen minutes into Dave''s debut in yellow and Granty turns to Duffy, sullen and drawn and says (and I quote) "Feckin'' heel Jeem! Whit th'' foock hae Ah dain?"Couldn''t pass, couldn''t turn, couldn''t understand a ******'' word and couldn''t read what was going on around him.Bloody lucky we only signed him on a years'' deal with an option to let him go. And no, that''s not the same as a loan.

p.s. Sorry Chops! That probably was a roundabout way of saying he was rubbish. Still, at least we didn''t sign the full 4 year contract his agent wanted us to sigh eh?

A few quid saved. Surely Grunt would have scouted him properly or did he resort to the You tube way of scouting.