Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

Time to get behind Gunn?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="supercol"]

I was not happy about his appointment either, but you are right we need to now get behind the team , after all we are all Norwich City supporters. I get the impression that ceratin people on here cannot wait for him to fail so they can have another whinge. I cannot stand the idiots who say things like "Dont buy any merchandise from the club shop" or "Dont get behind the team, its just what the board want" what do they expect us to do ? Will they be happy if nobody goes to matches or buys anything from the club shop and the club suffers ? They make snide remarks from the sidelines , probably never go near Carrow Road, they are imbeciles.

[/quote]

I can''t stand prize knobs like yourself whose logic in backing the team/club despite what you think has seen our club fall to it''s lowest ebb in 50 years.

[/quote]i can''t understand people like you who spout out loads of abuse all the time at anyone who has a different view to something than you... calling someone a prized knob? Very mature. This messageboard has gone down hill more than the club recently. People attacking people etc... not on... Gunn has got the job, get over it! The board won''t go until someone buys them out... get that into your brain! I know you''ll carry on, all of you... picking up on every little thing you can and turning it round... I would love Gunn to succeed... sadly bar going up as champions i think you lot would be on his back even if we went up in second place.

[/quote]

Err who slung the first insult?

He calls me an imbecile... I call him a knob... seems a fair deal to me.

Why should we not be on Gunn''s back... he had 19 games and failed to keep us up... he has no chance of bringing us back as the first couple of months of the coming season will no doubt prove.

Some of you still like to take the moral high ground however but are a bunch of hypocrites who can''t back their own beliefs et la NCISA''s recent comments surrounding Byan Gunn.

7 in favour out of 500 at St Andrews and prob not one NCISA committee member who agrees with the appointment, but what do we get?  A wishy wash PR statement saying how we should all get behind Gunny even though we know that it is a recipe for disaster.

Well not me... GUNN OUT!

[/quote]i couldn''t get there, but if i was there i would have had my hand up :-) I doubt you read the blog (i think my mum is the sole reader bless her!) but if you did I think you would see I back up what I think quite fairly. Also you''ll notice I think the board need to be seriously changed... So what if... what if gunn signed some decent players and we started brightly? would you put your support behind Gunn then? Or would you continue to want Gunn out etc etc...? As I said above you can still support the team but really go for the board.... This in my view is the best step forward... After all we weant Norwich to be winning and playing well don''t we?? I mean happy clapper fan or realist fan(!)... we are both fans of the same team are we not?

Yes well I thought the fans were behind him he never did a thing to convince me he will be any different next season

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="supercol"]

I was not happy about his appointment either, but you are right we need to now get behind the team , after all we are all Norwich City supporters. I get the impression that ceratin people on here cannot wait for him to fail so they can have another whinge. I cannot stand the idiots who say things like "Dont buy any merchandise from the club shop" or "Dont get behind the team, its just what the board want" what do they expect us to do ? Will they be happy if nobody goes to matches or buys anything from the club shop and the club suffers ? They make snide remarks from the sidelines , probably never go near Carrow Road, they are imbeciles.

[/quote]

I can''t stand prize knobs like yourself whose logic in backing the team/club despite what you think has seen our club fall to it''s lowest ebb in 50 years.

[/quote]

i can''t understand people like you who spout out loads of abuse all the time at anyone who has a different view to something than you... calling someone a prized knob? Very mature.

This messageboard has gone down hill more than the club recently. People attacking people etc... not on... Gunn has got the job, get over it! The board won''t go until someone buys them out... get that into your brain!

I know you''ll carry on, all of you... picking up on every little thing you can and turning it round... I would love Gunn to succeed... sadly bar going up as champions i think you lot would be on his back even if we went up in second place.

[/quote]

Err who slung the first insult?

He calls me an imbecile... I call him a knob... seems a fair deal to me.

Why should we not be on Gunn''s back... he had 19 games and failed to keep us up... he has no chance of bringing us back as the first couple of months of the coming season will no doubt prove.

Some of you still like to take the moral high ground however but are a bunch of hypocrites who can''t back their own beliefs et la NCISA''s recent comments surrounding Byan Gunn.

7 in favour out of 500 at St Andrews and prob not one NCISA committee member who agrees with the appointment, but what do we get?  A wishy wash PR statement saying how we should all get behind Gunny even though we know that it is a recipe for disaster.

Well not me... GUNN OUT!

[/quote]

Does this therefore mean that you stand back and complain and in fact never go anywhere near Carrow Road? If not you were never called an imbecile!

Gunn needs to prove himself to us and not the other way round.

With his record, he should not have got the job.

its a bit daft to say, Gunn is here now we must support him when most of us did not want him or believe in him. I hope the team does well in spite of him and Delia but neither has my support and just because he has the job, does not mean we cannot speak out against it, if you are happy fine, i feel his appointment is a joke and not good thing for City''s future but imo that does not make me disloyal to the club, i just see things different to the back Gunn brigade. I hope i am wrong and we walk the division, nobody will be more chuffed than me.

Even bigger deep breath , WE HAVE SEEN WHAT HES LIKE - WORSE THAN USELESS .

And the point is very simply:He has already had 19 games and failed totally.  So lets just wait and see, give him time, give him time, oh we did not get poromotion, give him time give him time, oh we did not go up again, give him time.

Simple question - how much MORE time do you think he needs?

[quote user="The Chirp"]but he has it... so... *takes deep breath* lets see how he does?![/quote]

i guess you guys missed the bit i wrote about the loans etc? Give him time with his own team... or... give him time with a pre season behind him and a couple of months to sort out what team he wants to play for norwich. Even the most thick among you (i am sure you''re all part of mensa) must see that you can only make a fair judgement of him once he has his own team? as in not having to find loans after the horse has bolted)lots of deep breaths here aren''t there! Can''t wait until we sign someone!! Who is he?? What he played for Hartlepool?? He''s Rubbish!! etc etc... You know i am taking the michael but i do have a point... some of you (read a lot) are just so SO negative and will down play pretty much everything you can. I hate this mess as much as you do... believe me, but i just think Gunn is here now so lets get behind the team and hope they do well... If they don''t he goes.

Yes, wouldn''t that make your day ? Now run along and look at your naughty pictures and have w*nk, because you are a complete w*nker.

[quote user="ACE"]And the point is very simply:He has already had 19 games and failed totally.  So lets just wait and see, give him time, give him time, oh we did not get poromotion, give him time give him time, oh we did not go up again, give him time.

Simple question - how much MORE time do you think he needs?

[/quote]For reasons that I have never understood Boothroyd is a favourite on these boards. Had he been appointed in January, and we were still relegated, would people have been calling for his sacking - I wouldn''t and I don''t rate him. We would be saying that he needed time to build his own team.I think he needs the chance to build his own team and develop its tactics and ethos. Let''s be honest, he didn''t really get a chance to do this last season. He inherited a very thin squad, which he had to supplement with a variety of loan signings. It was hardly "his" team.Incidentally, as we are discussing hypothetically, please avoid the "if he had been appointed we wouldn''t have been relegated response." I am not trying to discuss the relative merits of alternatives but define what would be a reasonable amount of time.In direct response to your question - a season.

[quote user="Badger"]I think he needs the chance to build his own team and develop its tactics and ethos. Let''s be honest, he didn''t really get a chance to do this last season. He inherited a very thin squad, which he had to supplement with a variety of loan signings. It was hardly "his" team.[/quote]Badger, I seem to be in a "this is water under the bridge but..." mode today. Perhaps because I can see a bridge with water running under it!Anyway, the problem with that argument is Bill Davies. Davies took over Forest only a game or so before Gunn took over Norwich. Forest were in the relegation zone, with a thin squad. We were above the relegation zone with a thin squad. If there was time enough for Davies to get Forest out of the bottom three there was time enough for Gunn to keep us out.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Badger"]I think he needs the chance to build his own team and develop its tactics and ethos. Let''s be honest, he didn''t really get a chance to do this last season. He inherited a very thin squad, which he had to supplement with a variety of loan signings. It was hardly "his" team.[/quote]Badger, I seem to be in a "this is water under the bridge but..." mode today. Perhaps because I can see a bridge with water running under it!Anyway, the problem with that argument is Bill Davies. Davies took over Forest only a game or so before Gunn took over Norwich. Forest were in the relegation zone, with a thin squad. We were above the relegation zone with a thin squad. If there was time enough for Davies to get Forest out of the bottom three there was time enough for Gunn to keep us out.[/quote]I don''t claim to be an expert on this, but I would have judged their squad to be stronger than ours - I''d certainly have swapped frontlines.But he certainly did a good job for them (as he has generally done for other sides too - was he ever on our radar?)

Badger, I''m certainly no expert on Forest either, but there are a lot of names in their squad that mean nothing to me (the glaring exception, of course, is Earnshaw). I suspect our squad was certainly AS strong. The difference was having someone who knew what they were doing, getting the best out of what they had to work with.I''m not aware that Davies was ever a possibility here. I was just using him as a convenient comparison.

forest''s squad is and was far better than ours... yes we had one or two decent players (one ironically sammy C who we got from them) but man for man they are a better side on paper. Also, as mentioned their frontline is pretty decent... garner, earnie, tyson... compared to cody, cureton and Daley? (trying to think of any other norwich perm strikers!?)

Forests squad was better than ours ? shows just what a fantastic job Roeder did having us well above them then and just what a pathetic job the tea boy did after he took over.

oh dear....Look their squad had better players but weren''t playing as a team... Davies got them playing as a team and the standard of their players came through... this is simple stuff to bat back and forth...Roeder''s norwich lost 3-2 at home to Forest remember... With Forest scoring both our goals.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Lets all be happy clappy morons and not back our beliefs... lol

Just how we got in to this fine mess in the first place... [:$]

[/quote]Whose beliefs?One thing I would like to ask - who thinks that having Gunn removed as manager would achieve anything? If the problem lays at the feet of the board or with certain members of the board then why snipe off the people they select to put in a position? They will just choose the next person anyway.A large number of supporters had had enough of Worthington and campaigned for him to go even if he was the most successful manager we had had since Chase went. Whether I agree with that or not it certainly didn''t move us forward - at least we had players that could pass a ball with Worthington. Three seasons and three managers later - and people really believe that having a new manager appointed is a guarantee to work when it is the same people making the decisions?Sheep you may call us Smudger but I am not going to protest for the removal of someone that will make little or no difference especially when there is very little that you can blame Gunn for in reality. Do you blame him - I don''t. I blame two managers prior to him that have come here and have been given more money than any other managers in seasons past and still have failed.So go and protest against a proud man Smudger - I am afraid I have bigger fish to fry. I want answers and answers we will not get from him. Blood spilt to quench the thirst of the mindless mob it would be.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Agreed altough i wont be chantting Gunn out just yet!! But im far from happy! just hope he actually turns it on, but i doubt it!

[quote user="The Chirp"]forest''s squad is and was far better than ours... yes we had one or two decent players (one ironically sammy C who we got from them) but man for man they are a better side on paper. Also, as mentioned their frontline is pretty decent... garner, earnie, tyson... compared to cody, cureton and Daley? (trying to think of any other norwich perm strikers!?) [/quote]forest spent 5 million on 2 strikers, we built our team on 500 thousand!! of cause they have a better squad!

[quote user="ricky knight"]its a bit daft to say, Gunn is here now we must support him when most of us did not want him or believe in him. I hope the team does well in spite of him and Delia but neither has my support and just because he has the job, does not mean we cannot speak out against it, if you are happy fine, i feel his appointment is a joke and not good thing for City''s future but imo that does not make me disloyal to the club, i just see things different to the back Gunn brigade. I hope i am wrong and we walk the division, nobody will be more chuffed than me.[/quote]I don''t think there is such a thing as the "back Gunn brigade".Most people on here have at some point stated that there are/were far more proven options out there than Gunn to employ as a manager. Most of those were either unrealistic or have a bit of an unreliable record - either way nearly all were better backed up with experience than Gunn.The problem I have is that when we got Grant as manager people said give him time, give him a chance, when we got Roeder people said the same thing even after harsh words to supporters. Gunn comes along with Crook and Butterworth - and by the way a lot of people have said that Crook should get a shot at it in the past - and because of the timing, and nothing else, people feel Gunn should go as some sort of revenge hit on the board or specific members of it.The team seem to play with more natural confidence under Gunn than under either of the two clowns before him. I for one would like to see if he can make progress, give him a chance. No one is saying love the guy because he is the manager - if you listen or read most people are saying give him a chance, remain open minded and let his results do the talking. He has the summer to get players in and get them playing as one unified team. In all honesty I expect a shaky start to the season due to the upheaval.It doesn''t make you disloyal.If anything what I see happening to a lot of fans and feel myself as one of them, is that the relationship with this board is in tatters. By that I mean we were swept off our feet when Smith and WJ were found as investors, at first we took it one step at a time but all of the sounds coming out of the club were right, family orientated and focused on pushing the boat out just enough but not too much. We even had players bought outright by Smith and WJ for the club. As time went on we began to trust and believe that these people had the values that we could associate with. This culminated in the play-off final season where if anything the team rode on the back of what can only be described as an amazing feel-good factor achieving more than anyone at the time would have hoped for at the begining of the season. And then there was promotio. I think most people accepted relegation well because we knew it was highly likely and in the end a point was all there was which did make things harder to accept.The low, however, was not boosted. The club seemed to remain reletively quiet and the fans had nothing to feed on appart from club statements that seemed to sound hollow and meaningness. Since then the relationship between the fans and board has become more hostile as more decisions are made that do not seem to make sense. Worthington was given precious little money to spend and when he was replaced a rookie of a manager in Grant was given a bucket load which he spent incredibly poorly - if that was not enough the board appointed not a shrewd manager, or a manager who could work with players and get the best from them, they appointed a Alan Sugar wannabe - someone who would drop someone as quickly as he picked them up, who would invest precious funds on players who didn''t deserve to be wearing a football shirt let along one of yellow and green.The problem I am trying to get to is that it wouldn''t really matter who the board appointed as manager because it would still have been them that made the appointment. Boothroyd - would have been Martin O''Neill mkII. Ince - could turn out to be a Walker but equally could turn out to be a Grant. Jewel - only seems to do well with a big cheque book infront of him and at small clubs where few fans get on his back (Wigan). I think most of the other candidates could have been just as lampooned for not being ambitious enough candidates for the board to go after.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]Whose beliefs?One thing I would like to ask - who thinks that having Gunn removed as manager would achieve anything? If the problem lays at the feet of the board or with certain members of the board then why snipe off the people they select to put in a position? They will just choose the next person anyway.A large number of supporters had had enough of Worthington and campaigned for him to go even if he was the most successful manager we had had since Chase went. Whether I agree with that or not it certainly didn''t move us forward - at least we had players that could pass a ball with Worthington. Three seasons and three managers later - and people really believe that having a new manager appointed is a guarantee to work when it is the same people making the decisions?Sheep you may call us Smudger but I am not going to protest for the removal of someone that will make little or no difference especially when there is very little that you can blame Gunn for in reality. Do you blame him - I don''t. I blame two managers prior to him that have come here and have been given more money than any other managers in seasons past and still have failed.So go and protest against a proud man Smudger - I am afraid I have bigger fish to fry. I want answers and answers we will not get from him. Blood spilt to quench the thirst of the mindless mob it would be.[/quote]

Worthington removed the reserve matches and refused to acknowledge our youth players, only playing them under extreme pressure and ruining the confidence! Worthington at the time to us 6 point  a drift at the bottom of the league! so no worthington should have stayed and if any thing he was kept on far to long! As for Gunn im sure no Norwich fan is protesting for him to leave , but he is one off the reason why we are in the position we are in, he was roedents cheif scout and he has to take blame for 19 games and 5 wins, how blind do u have to be to see his appointment is poor...i just hope he pulls this one out of the bag!

Funniest post is Smudge and don''t be so childish. Ha, made me laff out loud......

Smudge, the man who resorts to insults and name calling at any given moment when someone doesn''t agree with your views.

And Sir, he called me a name so I called him one back. Boo hoo. Priceless.

Gunn should never have got the bloody job and to just shrug our shoulders and take another kick in the nuts from this pathetic board is exactly what the Cook wants!!! Look what happened the last two times she got the appointment of manager so wrong,the third and imo worst appointment in Gunn is just madness,the bloke hasn''t got time to cut his teeth in league 1,ask any true football person and they will tell you that to appoint a rookie is crazy,he will fail and no i won''t gloat.This is so sad that yet again fans just accept second best and failure as part of the package of being a Norwich City fan,when did so many fans of NCFC become so gutless,stand up and fight for YOUR club!!!!

[8o|][8o|][8o|]

I think the debate here is essentially to do with certain fans maintaining a stance of disdain towards the board and management at present, and failing to appreciate those who are prepared to give Gunn a little bit of time, or perhaps are resigned to his continuation as manager at present with the current board. Smudger''s posts have always been characterised by a sort of ''with me or against me'' attitude and I see this continues in the post-relegation era, despite a degree of agreement with his views on the board, if not the way in which he expresses these opinions.

[quote user="PhatCanary"]

Gunn should never have got the bloody job and to just shrug our shoulders and take another kick in the nuts from this pathetic board is exactly what the Cook wants!!! Look what happened the last two times she got the appointment of manager so wrong,the third and imo worst appointment in Gunn is just madness,the bloke hasn''t got time to cut his teeth in league 1,ask any true football person and they will tell you that to appoint a rookie is crazy,he will fail and no i won''t gloat.This is so sad that yet again fans just accept second best and failure as part of the package of being a Norwich City fan,when did so many fans of NCFC become so gutless,stand up and fight for YOUR club!!!!

[8o|][8o|][8o|]

[/quote]Not denying this - as I said I don''t think anyone is but to get rid of Gunn would be to force them to make the same misstake again. Why go for the result when it is the people making the decisions that are getting it wrong?