Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

If you were a neutral..

who would you feel most sorry for? Our good selves or Newcastle?Both clubs have had to endure Glenn Roeder, both clubs have inept pathetic boards that need to sort their ideas out and players that are supposedly good enough for the level of football they want to be playing at but just arent bothered on enough occasions.Both teams have great fanbases and loyal supporters. As I''m a city fan its gotta be Norwich- hardly suprising though is it?Any neutrals on here - this is your chance!

Seeing as we''re dropping down to a league we haven''t been in for 50 years, i''d have to say us. We are dropping down to a level that really is well below our standards to be fair, and it''s something our club and fans should never see. Newcastle are dropping down to a level below their standards obviously, but it''s not really so unusual, in that they have experienced seasons in the second tier very much within living memory of most the fans.  And also it comes to the manner of which it all came about. We''ve experienced ''two'' relegations, and in the manner of which they came about, well they don''t come more cruel do they? We''ve gone through pretty much season after season of not mediocrity, but relegation battle after relegation battle. And on our last day we didn''t just surrender, like Newcaslte, but on each occasion the players thoroughly humiliated the club, waved the white flag, and let the opposition take a lot more than just a position in the league.Also seeing as Newcastle have a rich owner in charge, competing way above all opposition on a financial level, they have a chance to redeem themselves. Whereas we would struggle to compete on a financial level with half the league we''re going into. Our current team, and the finances beind our club will without doubt bind us to consistently  constant failiure, and dare say it, potential oblivion for the club as a whole.We are a club in real mess, without a proper future, with almost half a million fans left in despair, without hope of our club rising again. And i''m sorry, but Newcastle fans are no more than a baby throwing it''s rattle out of the pram in comparison to us at the moment.

[quote user="John"]Seeing as we''re dropping down to a league we haven''t been in for 50 years, i''d have to say us. We are dropping down to a level that really is well below our standards to be fair, and it''s something our club and fans should never see. Newcastle are dropping down to a level below their standards obviously, but it''s not really so unusual, in that they have experienced seasons in the second tier very much within living memory of most the fans. 

And also it comes to the manner of which it all came about. We''ve experienced ''two'' relegations, and in the manner of which they came about, well they don''t come more cruel do they? We''ve gone through pretty much season after season of not mediocrity, but relegation battle after relegation battle. And on our last day we didn''t just surrender, like Newcaslte, but on each occasion the players thoroughly humiliated the club, waved the white flag, and let the opposition take a lot more than just a position in the league.

Also seeing as Newcastle have a rich owner in charge, competing way above all opposition on a financial level, they have a chance to redeem themselves. Whereas we would struggle to compete on a financial level with half the league we''re going into. Our current team, and the finances beind our club will without doubt bind us to consistently  constant failiure, and dare say it, potential oblivion for the club as a whole.

We are a club in real mess, without a proper future, with almost half a million fans left in despair, without hope of our club rising again. And i''m sorry, but Newcastle fans are no more than a baby throwing it''s rattle out of the pram in comparison to us at the moment.
[/quote]

spot on!

im also norwich!!

I am fairly neutral I think.  I always feel sorry for the fans because it is never enjoyable, it tends to set fan against fan (particularly since message boards came into existence) in the inevitable blame game and, commercially, it usually hits a club financially.  Occasionally it can pull a club together but it is a hell of a risk to take just to see if that happens.

I have been to the Conference League twice and that is really grim - not intended as a slight against that League but you really feel you are out of the "League" (and you are) and it''s where the old familiar football optimism of "enjoying visits to new grounds" has a somewhat hollow ring.[+o(]

But personally I think you just take it on the chin and carry on supporting.  That doesn''t mean anyone has to like the directors, the manager or the players but at the end of the day it is still the club you support and that means, for me, just carrying on and doing what I can even if I disagree strongly with those in charge of it.  At various times in my life I have suffered crap managers, crap directors and crap players.  If you are really unlucky sometimes for quite a long time although the personnel involved may vary.

But they''ve gone now and the club is still going on.  Football is all about ups and downs, literally, and if people can''t cope with the down bit it''s probably safer for them not to go on the ride.  It is absolutely fair for people to apportion blame as they see it but when next season starts you either back those who turn out in your colours or you don''t.

[quote user="John"]Seeing as we''re dropping down to a league we haven''t been in for 50 years, i''d have to say us. We are dropping down to a level that really is well below our standards to be fair, and it''s something our club and fans should never see. Newcastle are dropping down to a level below their standards obviously, but it''s not really so unusual, in that they have experienced seasons in the second tier very much within living memory of most the fans. 

And also it comes to the manner of which it all came about. We''ve experienced ''two'' relegations, and in the manner of which they came about, well they don''t come more cruel do they? We''ve gone through pretty much season after season of not mediocrity, but relegation battle after relegation battle. And on our last day we didn''t just surrender, like Newcaslte, but on each occasion the players thoroughly humiliated the club, waved the white flag, and let the opposition take a lot more than just a position in the league.

Also seeing as Newcastle have a rich owner in charge, competing way above all opposition on a financial level, they have a chance to redeem themselves. Whereas we would struggle to compete on a financial level with half the league we''re going into. Our current team, and the finances beind our club will without doubt bind us to consistently  constant failiure, and dare say it, potential oblivion for the club as a whole.

We are a club in real mess, without a proper future, with almost half a million fans left in despair, without hope of our club rising again. And i''m sorry, but Newcastle fans are no more than a baby throwing it''s rattle out of the pram in comparison to us at the moment.
[/quote]

Spot on John.

If we don''t get a big cash injection straightwaway we''ll mainly be relying on kids to get us out of this Division. If that happens we''ll be into the next decade before we''ll have any reasonable chance of upwards progress. At present we''re more likely to go down than up.

All very bleak, isn''t it ?

Judging from the stuff I''ve seen, I think there''s a lot of neutrals who find it hilarious that Newcastle are down, and a lot of people who don''t particularly care either way that Norwich are down.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

I am fairly neutral I think.  I always feel sorry for the fans because it is never enjoyable, it tends to set fan against fan (particularly since message boards came into existence) in the inevitable blame game and, commercially, it usually hits a club financially.  Occasionally it can pull a club together but it is a hell of a risk to take just to see if that happens.

I have been to the Conference League twice and that is really grim - not intended as a slight against that League but you really feel you are out of the "League" (and you are) and it''s where the old familiar football optimism of "enjoying visits to new grounds" has a somewhat hollow ring.[+o(]

But personally I think you just take it on the chin and carry on supporting.  That doesn''t mean anyone has to like the directors, the manager or the players but at the end of the day it is still the club you support and that means, for me, just carrying on and doing what I can even if I disagree strongly with those in charge of it.  At various times in my life I have suffered crap managers, crap directors and crap players.  If you are really unlucky sometimes for quite a long time although the personnel involved may vary.

But they''ve gone now and the club is still going on.  Football is all about ups and downs, literally, and if people can''t cope with the down bit it''s probably safer for them not to go on the ride.  It is absolutely fair for people to apportion blame as they see it but when next season starts you either back those who turn out in your colours or you don''t.

[/quote]Post of the day [Y]

[quote user="CT "][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]Post of the day [Y][/quote]Agreed CT - good stuff Cam.I would add that from the friends that don''t support Norwich or Newcastle they feel more for us. I think it''s because when you look at it Newcastle have the money and the players and have failed. Norwich don''t have that much money or that many good players and yet their support is one of the best in the league.I think outside of East Anglia there is a lot of sympathy as a whole for us because we are not anywhere near a population hotspot. As I have said before geographically we are like Plymouth - although Plymouth has a higher population than Norwich. Very similar position being the biggest City in their immediate area with most of the other teams nearby being smaller and in lower divisions.It''s easy to feel sympathetic for us because most people see us as a ''battling'' club which I think is sometimes confused by our fans as being a small club. It''s not that we are a small club its that we have to work hard to achieve. Newcastle has the support not just nationally but internationally as well. Norwich are viewed at a distance by most of the country and so they don''t care so much about what goes on here.

As we''re now favs (from some media sources) to bounce straight back to league 1 and considering NUFC are in all sorts of trouble would anyone say their opinions have changed?

[quote user="CT "]As we''re now favs (from some media sources) to bounce straight back to league 1 and considering NUFC are in all sorts of trouble would anyone say their opinions have changed?[/quote]Should be championship...

Tbh, Norwich have been on a downfall for 2/3 seasons, Newcastle well, they have been poor for 5/6 maybe even more, they used to be the team that could have broken into the top 4, (well before Chelsea got the billions) when Shearar stopped playing they never did anything any good really, and even before, when he was getting past it, so you could say Newcastle have just finally slipped, and tbh, they could stay in the championship for a while. Norwich in a way have been very unlucky, i have been thinking about last season, and how at home, apart from 1/2 occasions, even when we have lost we where the better team, we just make a few mistakes, and the other teams punish that, i suppose it means we where worse, because other teams never made many mistakes against us, there was some really poor Football last season, if we are going to lose i would rather the other team played great, so we get some decent football, Sheffield Wednesday is ther example i can think of, they where about the best team at Carrow Road last season, they shouldn''t have been, but they beat us and played well (it could have beeen another team, but i think it was them). I don''t think i have watched a whole Newcastle game for a long time, but on MOTD they never looked brilliant either, its just what happens when you don''t have the staff (board, manager, players all of them) Norwich and Newcastle are examples of this.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Tbh, Norwich have been on a downfall for 2/3 seasons, Newcastle well, they have been poor for 5/6 maybe even more, they used to be the team that could have broken into the top 4, (well before Chelsea got the billions) when Shearar stopped playing they never did anything any good really, and even before, when he was getting past it, so you could say Newcastle have just finally slipped, and tbh, they could stay in the championship for a while. Norwich in a way have been very unlucky, i have been thinking about last season, and how at home, apart from 1/2 occasions, even when we have lost we where the better team, we just make a few mistakes, and the other teams punish that, i suppose it means we where worse, because other teams never made many mistakes against us, there was some really poor Football last season, if we are going to lose i would rather the other team played great, so we get some decent football, Sheffield Wednesday is ther example i can think of, they where about the best team at Carrow Road last season, they shouldn''t have been, but they beat us and played well (it could have beeen another team, but i think it was them). I don''t think i have watched a whole Newcastle game for a long time, but on MOTD they never looked brilliant either, its just what happens when you don''t have the staff (board, manager, players all of them) Norwich and Newcastle are examples of this.
[/quote]

Downfall for 2 or 3 seasons??  Bar a couple of lucky seasons (02 & 05) we''ve been on a downward slope since 94

Teams have ups and downs over a period of time.  For Liverpool a ''down'' is not winning the title for 20 years.  For Man U it was relegation in 74.  For us its being in Div 3  - Luton are out of the league.  Ups include Burnley being top flight for the 1st time in 30 years (and Stoke last year v similar).  We''ll have ups again - it might be this year, it could be 10 years from now. 

[quote user="CT "]

As I''m a city fan its gotta be Norwich- hardly suprising though is it?

Any neutrals on here - this is your chance!
[/quote]

Suprisingly, being a Norwich fan, I''d disagree. If I was a neutral I''d feel more sorry for Newcastle fans.

The new season is about to start. Players have been sold and signed, managers have come and gone and most teams are ready with a structured set up to start the new season. For example, Norwich City. Yes they have been relegated - but they have a whole new squad of their own for fans to get excited about; They have a new board of directors looking to push the club on upwards; They have a stable management team with plans for the season ahead; Their is a positive vibe around the city about the season ahead, in general.

Newcastle, on the other hand, do not seem so prepared. They too have been relegated, but unlike Norwich - they have a ''squad'' of players but are unsure which still want to play for Newcastle and which don''t, they have signed nobody but sold a few of their better players (Obafemi Martins, Sebastien Bassong, etc), the fans and team still don''t know who their permanent manager will be, the manager taking care of things at the minute doesn''t really know where he stands, their still appears to be troubles behind the scenes with Mike Ashley and the rest of the board members, and they are supposed to be in big trouble regarding player wages.

Thats why I feel, if I was a neutral, I''d feel more sorry for Newcastle fans.