Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

i dont understand .

i realise certain people are going to shoot me down in flames here , but at the end of the day i am a norwich fan through and through and want what is best for my club like any oher fan .

i certainly see peoples points of view regarding thier concern about brian gunn as our full time manager , yet one thing this club has lacked over the last few years has been people at the top who care , and that includes team players .

no team in any division is going to move forward with the ever changing players, such as the many loan players we have had at this club .

alot of people are blaming gunn for our relegation , i really dont feel this is fair justice of a man who picked up the pieces of a failing previous two mangers attempts.

i still feel gunn brought players in who gave us a chance , and wanted to play for norwich city .

i fully admit non set the place alight , yet to be brought in as manger half way through a season  with no transfer funds apart from 25 grand , of which bought a decent prospect in , and loan strikers who could score gave us some chance , it was clear to see we should have never sold  shacks . before this under roeder we recieved many red cards and conceded penalties almost every week .

vast amount of money had been spent on loan players and agent fees , some of  the loan players had not even been proven at championship level , surely this proves a big risk from a manager who had flopped at every previous club he had been at.

huckerby , who has alot of heart at this club should have never been released, and a proven striker should have been signed up before the season even started.

all im saying is if gunn is given the managers job , dont give him such a hard time as mistakes were made long before he took over , and he hardly has been given a fair chance considering the money he has had available .

if this man is prepared to take the flake for on going mistakes made by norwich city , surely he deserves some credit

funny how roeder has kept out of the media since norwich have been relegated , wonder why hes not talking the flak  is he !

I think the vital point you are missing with your state of the union address, is very simplyWE CANNOT AFFORD ANY MORE MISTAKES.Gunn = rookie = higher chance of mistakes being made.Has it sunk in now?

I don''t think many people are actually blaming him - clearly there is a lot more to it than that and to solely blame him for our failure is missing the point - but he has to be held accountable to a certain extent, he''s proven he''s not up to it and I''ve still yet to see a coherent argument that stands up to scrutiny as to why he should be manager.

Perhaps because he seems to have been the first manager for at least two seasons to get our players to play as if they care for more than three games? The problem is when push came to shove it was the players that were not our players that let us down - Lee being the only exception.And  he did that with a thread bare squad of players that were mostly not up to it in quality, energy or spirit.

Okay so he brought in Alan Lee, Cody McDonald etc. But he also brought in Chris Killen, David Carney too.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Okay so he brought in Alan Lee, Cody McDonald etc. But he also brought in Chris Killen, David Carney too.[/quote]

No manager has a 100% record. My concerns about Gunn do not stem from his transfers but rather his inexperience in a league which is totally different to the one we''ve just been relegated from. Simple as really.

Actually, the list of Gunn''s signings was not so bad.  I''d give:

definite +''s for Cody, Lee, Mooney and bringing back Shacks, who was at his best for much of the time

unsure of:  Gow (some good signs, but ultimately seemed lightweight), Leijer (not played enough, but perhaps that was because Shacks was playing so well),

-ve''s: Carney, Killen (both pretty poor, but Killen wasn''t here long enough to show if he could do anything)

For me, the problem wasn''t really with Gunn''s signings, but some of the selections (vs Sheff Wed in particular) and tactics, together with the fact that he just didn''t seem to get the players motivated for the crunch matches....and I have never seen a side so bereft of ideas when Reading went 1-up in our penultimate game, which was extremely poor.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]For me, the problem wasn''t really with Gunn''s signings, but some of the selections (vs Sheff Wed in particular) and tactics, together with the fact that he just didn''t seem to get the players motivated for the crunch matches....and I have never seen a side so bereft of ideas when Reading went 1-up in our penultimate game, which was extremely poor.[/quote]That''s exactly it and many people seemed to have overlooked tactics and motivation... two rather important things for a football manager to be good at.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]For me, the problem wasn''t really with Gunn''s signings, but some of the selections (vs Sheff Wed in particular) and tactics, together with the fact that he just didn''t seem to get the players motivated for the crunch matches....and I have never seen a side so bereft of ideas when Reading went 1-up in our penultimate game, which was extremely poor.[/quote]
That''s exactly it and many people seemed to have overlooked tactics and motivation... two rather important things for a football manager to be good at.
[/quote]

Agreed. You can have good players but if the game''s not going your way and you need to change things round a bit you need someone who can get those changes right.

Gunn brought in a number of players during the transfer window and the subsequent loan window, so the "stuck with Roeder''s squad " argument doesn''t wash. The simple fact is that, after our good run in March (which actually proved that that squad could do the business even against the better teams), we actually went backwards and showed little or no passion. To simply pass that off as the fault of the loan players is facile in the extreme. Look at Clingan, for example, a shadow of his former self, or Semmy (shocking throughout) or Russell, who was a walking card.

The real test of a manager is not to make great players play well, but to achieve the same result with lesser players. The March run showed what was possible, the final weeks showed conclusively that Team Gunn wasn''t up to the job. Those of you who are blinded by Gunny''s status should ask yourselves how you would have responded had Roeder been in charge for those last 6 games. I suspect the phrase "lost the dressing room" would have been trotted out a lot, along with calls for his sacking. Double standards, I''m afraid, and, as others have said, we don''t have the time to let a rookie learn on the job.