Sign in to follow this  
cockers85

Declan Rudd and Stuart Nelson

Now Marshall has gone Rudd and Nelson are our two remaining Gk''s. I know Nelson has a fair bit of league experience for Orient and Brentford and that Rudd is an England Youth International, but has anyone seen either play as I have no idea. Will either be our No1 next season or is it worth bringing in a new face......Joe Lewis would be nice.    

Have to give Rudd a chance with backup from Nelson.  Otherwise could have another Joe Lewis where we never see a prodigy reach his potential.

Would i be correct in saying that Nelson''s contract expires this summer and he is yet to be offered a new one? How old is the other young goalkeeper we have coming through? Maybe we could afford to let Nelson go.. play Rudd and have Steer on the bench (after all, we are now in a division were we can probably get away with it)?

[quote user="Lakey"]Would i be correct in saying that Nelson''s contract expires this summer and he is yet to be offered a new one? How old is the other young goalkeeper we have coming through? Maybe we could afford to let Nelson go.. play Rudd and have Steer on the bench (after all, we are now in a division were we can probably get away with it)?
[/quote]

too much of a risk. we dont have the money to sign an experienced Defence to help out rookie keepers... its Too soon for Rudd and Steer, we either need to give Nelson a year or get a keeper pushing 30 for 3 or 4 years to give the lads someone to learn from. Loan Steer out for the first part of the season and Rudd for the 2nd for the next 2 years so they both get experience whilst the older Keeper carries the ship.

that way we wont ever be caught out without either Rudd or Steer on the bench and can recall one if needed.

jas :)

A good manager would give Rudd a chance in the preseasons... And then decide wether to offer Nelson a contract or go and search an experienced GK. I know that we''ve got potential with Rudd...so give him a go!

Now that we''re in a lower league, surely it''s time for us to give some of the promising youth team a chance?We''ve not got any transfer budget, we''re not going to attract any half-decent players so we need to unearth a few diamonds.Why wouldn''t Rudd do well?   He might not have any "big match" experience, but then again, he''s hardly going to have any "big match" games in League 1 is he?!!!

Has anyone actually seen either play, i am very interested to know how good Rudd really is as we have a good record of producing goalkeepers eg Green, Lewis etc... He is a youth international and I cant help thinking that maybe part of the plan with letting Lewis go was because they knew Rudd was coming through.

Seen him play quite a few times, and I believe Rudd has the potential to be really really good. Think Steer perhaps even more so, although he is too young at the moment.

I would without doubt play Rudd next year, with an older head as back-up to offer him advice etc. Steer is still too young and should be left to reserve/youth games for another year.

Didn''t Glenn say when we sold Joe Lewis that he did so because Rudd was coming through and was better?

Rudd is a very good GK. I saw him play for the youth team last year 2008. Please keep him at the club and give him a chance...! He''s got potential and just needs experience. I agree with signing an experienced GK, but keep Rudd, definitely!

Get rid of Nelson, he''s a useless keeper, my Brighton and Forest friend have confirmed that. Neither is he an influential figure.We should bring in Mark Tyler from Peterborough as he is set to leave Posh and is a very good keeper, or go by the words of Dublin, and steal Matthew Gilks from Blackpool''s reserves.

I''d personally offload Nelson and get in an older keeper with plenty of experience, give Rudd a fair crack in pre-season, if he appears comfortable start the season with him and if he struggles we would then have an experienced keeper who can come in if needed

[quote user="John"]Get rid of Nelson, he''s a useless keeper, my Brighton and Forest friend have confirmed that. Neither is he an influential figure.

We should bring in Mark Tyler from Peterborough as he is set to leave Posh and is a very good keeper, or go by the words of Dublin, and steal Matthew Gilks from Blackpool''s reserves.
[/quote]

Good idea to get Gilks back I reckon,... He''s much better than Nelson. My dad''s a Brentford fan and he doesn''t rate Nelson either

I work with a Leyton Orient season ticket holder and he reckons when Nelson first broke into the team everyone was impressed with him, however he proved to be woefully inconsistent and that is why they let him go!!! Doesn''t sound too promising to me.

[quote user="john ames"]I work with a Leyton Orient season ticket holder and he reckons when Nelson first broke into the team everyone was impressed with him, however he proved to be woefully inconsistent and that is why they let him go!!! Doesn''t sound too promising to me.[/quote]

I also work with an Orient season ticket holder and he was not impressed with Nelson. A back up at best was his description of him.

I know this will get shot down in flames, But what about playing Rudd, and Use our keeper coach as back up, we haven''t got the money to bring one it so why not use Chrichon for a while as back up    

[quote user="pete_norw"]I know this will get shot down in flames, But what about playing Rudd, and Use our keeper coach as back up, we haven''t got the money to bring one it so why not use Chrichon for a while as back up    [/quote]id have crichton as 3rd choice\rudd as 2ndand id shout for tyler as a No.1

[quote user="pete_norw"]I know this will get shot down in flames, But what about playing Rudd, and Use our keeper coach as back up, we haven''t got the money to bring one it so why not use Chrichon for a while as back up    [/quote]

No, if it came to that we''d have to continue with Nelson in the squad.

But i honestly don''t think he''s good enough, and if we don''t have enough money to buy an aged and ardent Norwich City fan, and Peterborough reserve keeper on the transfer list in Mark Tyler, who has clearly stated how he hopes to come to Norwich City (admittedly 6 months go), we should just put up, and hang the white flag now.

The general feeling is keeping Rudd giving him a chance but with a good senior keeper as back-up. I live in Colchester and watch the Us every now and then, they had West Hams Jimmy Walker on loan this year and he was class for a 34yr old. Think he is still contracted at West Ham but they are looking to offload him so could get him very very cheap or even free.  

I saw Nelson play at Brentford a few times and he wasn''t great then. He couldn''t kick and didn''t really control his area that well. I think we should give Rudd the job in the Pre-Season then see how well he does. I''ve been impressed with what I''ve read about him.