Sign in to follow this  
cockers85

On the up side - Youth!!!!

Obviously relegation is a disaster and everyone connected with the club and on this forum is very down about the situation. Understandably of course. However trying to look on the up side of things, L1 football will give us a great opportunity to clear out the squad and rebuild for the future. I think this is particulaly true for the youngsters on the fringes of the first team.

Just imagine for a second you are a youngster at NCFC who is on the bench fairly regularly, given prehaps 10 sub appearances a season. Then we get relegated and are looking at a squad clearout. What a great oppotunity for these lads to make an impression and force their way into the first team. I think its about time we give some of these boys a real chance, im not talking 10 sub appearances i mean a proper run in the first team. If we can mix them with good quality established pro''s we could unearth some diamonds out of a terrible situation.

Examples:

Spillane had a very good season for Luton. He played 40 odd games and scored 4 goals, iv spoken to a couple of Luton fans who said he was solid at L2 level and can hack it higher up. Maybe him alongside the experience of fellow countryman Doherty at centre back together. he is eligable for this summer under-21 euros and already has 5 caps for ireland. Lots of competition for him eg McShane (sunderland) O''Brien (bolton), be interesting to see if he makes the final squad.

Everyone is expecting magic for Chris Martin next year. He had a good season at Luton aswell grabbing 11 goals in 40 league games. Not anamazing record, but the goal at Wembley for them shows hes got a bit of character. Him or the lad McDonald have a great chance next year to establish themselves alongside the experienced Lee, could work very well as a tall and short strike force which would suit L1 style football.

With Marshall gone what a chance for Declan Rudd. Youth England international must have some real class, from what Ive heard many fans wh have seen him rate him highly, apparantly part of the reason for letting Lewis go was cause Roder knew Rudd was coming through.

Luke Daily has a great record for the reserves, scoring a hat rick against an arsenal reserves team that featured 7 players who had played in the previous week for the first team that beat Wigan. So he must have some talent and is surley worth a punt next year as a winger or a striker.

I have to say I havnt seen much of anu of these players so have no real idea f what their ability is, but from what Ive heard they are useful and could be a benefit to the team at L1 level. If anyone has seen them in live action id be interested to hear your thoughts on giving them a chance next year.

nice1

i''d also like to see some of the younger lads given a chance as a few of them have really earnt it after their exploits in not only the youth cup but over the season in the league. However we shouldn''t be relying on the kids, they should be mixed in with a strong core of senior players who are up to the required standard

[quote user="First Wizard"]The kids will get buried in League 1.[/quote]Depends on how we use them. If the majority of them are youth, then yes, probably.If however, we have 2 or 3 young players surrounded by experienced heads, it can actually work out very well!

Thats a very misleading staement. Only 3 over age platers were used, Renton Daley & Lathrope all 18/19 and in the main used during the first, more unsuccessful part of the season. The regular back four Francomb Stephens Dumic & Habergham are all first year trainees and the FA Youth Cup side had only 4 second year players  who will not be availble for the competition next year