Sign in to follow this  
UEA Canary

give him a chance

now then, i feel gunn was out of his depth at championship level and some of his loan signings were wrong and that his tactics could of been better. however he was thrust into the role mid season when the team were in disarray. but lets give him a chance from the start of a season to work with HIS players and see what he can do. gunny will do us proud, i strongly believe that. OTBC

[quote user="UEA Canary"]now then, i feel gunn was out of his depth at championship level and some of his loan signings were wrong and that his tactics could of been better. however he was thrust into the role mid season when the team were in disarray. but lets give him a chance from the start of a season to work with HIS players and see what he can do. gunny will do us proud, i strongly believe that. OTBC[/quote]he shouldnt have took the job if it was to big for him...and obviously it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a joke our board are

I''m all for giving Gunn a chance but the decision to appoint him just smacks of desperation and a lack of ambition. What makes it worse is that I doubt those responsible for the appointment will even bother to justify their decision. Very annoying. [:S]

[quote user="UEA Canary"]now then, i feel gunn was out of his depth at championship level and some of his loan signings were wrong and that his tactics could of been better. however he was thrust into the role mid season when the team were in disarray. but lets give him a chance from the start of a season to work with HIS players and see what he can do. gunny will do us proud, i strongly believe that. OTBC[/quote]

I think you''ll find he had nineteen chances last season. FFS, we need an experienced League One manager for next season, not a novice!!!!!!!!! [:@]

peter grant = a risk that failed

glenn roeder = a risk that failed

bryan gunn = a risk... see where this is going?

the fans are obviously screaming for someone with a proven track record!!

In case some of you missed it he had a chance, a bloody great big one and completely and utterly f------d it up. 

The bunch of mugs that gave him the bloody job in the first place have just gone and stuck yet another nail in the coffin of our club if such a thing were possible, they have by actually given him the job!  Just stop and think about it for a second, they have given him the job.....................................

Never in my deepest darkest nightmares did I ever think they would allow him to continue but they have, do they hate us, do they despise us?

Really you couldn’t make it up, it’s a sick farce, have they got even the slightest idea what they are doing?  We were a club in trouble under Rodent and we didn’t just get worse, we became a cringe inducing embarrassment that sank our club to its lowest point in half a century.

To get it quite as wrong as this wretched, appalling woman and her dopey husband has to be malicious, they simply couldn’t get it more wrong if they were Binners trying to finish us off once and for all.

Their incompetence knows no limit and is without end.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="UEA Canary"]now then, i feel gunn was out of his depth at championship level and some of his loan signings were wrong and that his tactics could of been better. however he was thrust into the role mid season when the team were in disarray. but lets give him a chance from the start of a season to work with HIS players and see what he can do. gunny will do us proud, i strongly believe that. OTBC[/quote]he shouldnt have took the job if it was to big for him...and obviously it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a joke our board are[/quote]I think there is more to this than we know. Now lets make a few educated guesses using the knowledge we have.Firstly the club stated at several points this season that the wage bill was too high for the club to sustain and that come the summer no matter what we would have to trim it. Take into account that we also had to pay Roeder off. Add to that the fact that there was confirmation from various people that we interviewed Ince and Boothroyd for the job and possibly others - the problem was that none of them wanted a short term contract which the club was offering.In fairness its a no brainer. Your a manager whose last item in his CV is a poor season - he wants a chance at some glory not a possible relegation with very little money and 9 days inwhich to bring in fresh faces.I don''t think Gunn was thrust into the position - I believe he caught the bug when he was a caretaker and ofcourse as any of us would want to, wanted to try and do the best thing and keep us up. There is no guarantee that anyone else would have been able to do it. And in fairness he did some good buisiness - MacDonald looks like a bargain already, Lee, Gow, Mooney, Shackell - all players who brought strength and a higher level of quality to the team. Players like Shackell and Lee were a big risk, if they failed there would be serious egg on his face. I hate to say this but had they been all at the club earlier in the season I doubt we would be league 1 now.Now I am not going to deny that there are some other candidates out there that would be better gambles than Gunn, but they would still be gambles. On top of that you have the likes of Coppell leaving his post and the names that have been bandied around here are likely to be prime candidates for them too or they could simply be holding out to see what other positions become available before making a choice. QPR are without a manager at the moment others are threatening to get rid of theirs. Ince and Boothroyd are likely to be high on the management wanted list and Gannon is also reletively unproven.So other than the obvious candidates who else is there that really has any more in the way of odds on credentials that could better what we have with Gunn, Butts and Crook. Butts has a comparable experience to Gannon.I am not saying you do not have a right to doubt - ofcourse you do, but don''t suggest that his legend status as a player has anything to do with his status as a manager - you will never take away those memories where for a few years we were allowed to dream of something special happening to this club with players that cared and that played football they way we liked to see it - he was one of those and I am afraid you will never take that away from him.We need a manager now to start going out there and getting in players, sorting out the ones we have and to start trying to get this squad into shape. The sooner the better because we need all of our players to have a full, good pre-season if this club and its fans really have the ambition to try and consolidate and push for promotion.If Gunn can sign another Cody out of the hat and sign one or two experienced players then would you still doubt him - give the guy a chance.

"He had a chance, 19 of them last season, do you remember thoses 9 defeats along with the 5 wins and 5 draws that = relegation?"My thoughts exactly.

[quote user="bleach"]

peter grant = a risk that failed

glenn roeder = a risk that failed

bryan gunn = a risk... see where this is going?

the fans are obviously screaming for someone with a proven track record!!

[/quote]Every manager is a risk.If you look deaper into appointments you will see more truth. People suggested Ince was/is a good manager and yet he seems to either have done well at a low level or at clubs where he has been given money to spend. He wasn''t out of his depth as such in the premiership - just not ready for it and yet he would still be as big a risk as Gunn for me at this level.Remember we are not talking just about Gunn we are talking about Butts and Crook too. Boothroyd is the only candidate I would suggest is less of a risk that is out there at the moment and with the vacant positions at QPR and now Reading you would expect him to be holding out for those.Managers with a proven track record are not so easy to find these days and those that are out there and without a contract are hot property.Gunn is a risk but he is an inexpensive risk and so far with signings has actually proved to be quite prudent. An entire season with Mooney, Lee and MacDonald in the team would surely have lead to a more comfortable finish? Throw in Gow for patches and the return of Shackell.

[quote]Managers with a proven track record are not so easy to find these

days and those that are out there and without a contract are hot

property[/quote]Ince and Gannon have done well in league 1 and are available.  Maybe they are both too expensive though.  Maybe any savings made will go towards player wages.  Maybe we can get better players as a result.Maybe is a big word.

[quote user="UEA Canary"]now then, i feel gunn was out of his depth at championship level and some of his loan signings were wrong and that his tactics could of been better. however he was thrust into the role mid season when the team were in disarray. but lets give him a chance from the start of a season to work with HIS players and see what he can do. gunny will do us proud, i strongly believe that. OTBC[/quote]

Here we bloody go again.....

The sheep are grazing already.......

What a joke.

I gave him his chance last season, I wasn''t at all happy about his appointment but was prepared to give him a chance, guess what he blew it! Lucky for him our club is run by idiots, any other club wouldn''t have given him a second thought about this season.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Managers with a proven track record are not so easy to find these

days and those that are out there and without a contract are hot

property[/quote]Ince and Gannon have done well in league 1 and are available.  Maybe they are both too expensive though.  Maybe any savings made will go towards player wages.  Maybe we can get better players as a result.Maybe is a big word.[/quote]Ince did well with MK Dons but being backed with money. Gannon is a risk because although he did well it has been his only real management position held albeit for a number of years.I am still not sure that if you combine the knowledge and experience of Crook and Butts you would pretty much get a similar experience.I guess what I am saying is that if Crook had been appointed with Butts remaining as number two would people be so annoyed? Is it Gunn or is it all three of them? I don''t think there is much Gunn could have done other than what he did. He brought in better players and our performances did get better - the last six games is what let his record down but I think that is more to do with players mentality. Some kept fighting and others had already left.People mention the loan players but I think few could argue that Shackell and Lee didn''t fight tooth and nail to keep this club in the championship. Infact they showed more passion and fight than players that remain contracted to this club.People big up Clingan but for me he seemed to miss something towards the end of the season. The problem is all it takes is one player to suggest they are leaving at the end of the season so who cares for others to loose faith in those players and the team to loose edge. We know that happened with Fotheringham and so what impact that had on the team we will probably never know.Cody was an inspirational signing. If we can find another one or two like that and then some experience I would be happy.

Thought he was a bloody joke appointment last season and he relegated us , cannot think of a worse person to get the job . Hope we lose untill he gets what he deserves.

I''ve given him 19 games. He failed miserably and now has 46 games to fail us again. The same ones who are satisfied with this appointment are the same who will moan when we''re stagnant in League One. Just aswell he knows League One well because we''ll be there for a while. This is fucking laughable.

no

hang on,didn''t he have a chance last season? you remember, playing those players out of position, not motivating them, no tactics, culminating in the extreme embarassment of Charlton away?

yes, of course we should give him a chance....

I admit that if he had decent funds he may have done alittle better, but what far outweighs that point is the fact that we''re in League 1 and we''re under the management of a very inexperienced man who is backed by a board with no ambition. This is not the answer.

The hounding of Gunn on this board (and others) is alittle excessive and I''m sure alot of fans will admit that deep down, but he simply isn''t the right appointment in a role such as this. Nobody had a problem with him being a scout but this is a position too far atm.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I''ve given him 19 games. He failed miserably and now has 46 games to fail us again. The same ones who are satisfied with this appointment are the same who will moan when we''re stagnant in League One. Just aswell he knows League One well because we''ll be there for a while. This is fucking laughable.[/quote]Nope. I am just looking at this all and trying to make sense of it all.Gunn: Managed 19, won 5, drawn 5 and lost 9.I personally think that it was to big a task when he took the job in the first place. He had nine days to bring in players and then he had to go with what he had.We now know that Fotheringham and possibly Patty (which is unconfirmed) did not have the bottle for it. He brought in players who for the most part were better than what we had or who would at least give it a fight.Macdonald - great signing.Lee - unquestionably good signingShackell - as LeeMooney - got the goals that restored some sort of hope and belief that we could do itGow - although not consistant he did at least display signs of quality and helped dig us out of the holeCarney - looked good when on the left and fought hardLeijer - got an injury but still looked good at times, good coverThe problem is that some of the permanent players in Marshall, Croft and arguably some of the others looked as if they had their minds already on their next place of work and not on the task at hand. Some even disolusioned with the players around them I think.The team was not good enough - few were in for the long haul. I think Gunn does deserve another chance for taking a cursed challace. I want to see if he can use his contacts and bring in a couple of good experienced players and then Deehan to scout out some more players like MacDonald and see where we go.I think more than anything else Gunn was appointed for urgeancy. We do not know what lies ahead but without a manager we are not in a position to start hunting down the free players or bargain players now and could be left with having to go with what we have got. I think that is what swayed it more than anything - we are in a hurry and we can not wait to see if any of these other people are even interested or waiting to see what happens elsewhere.