Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

Yet another formation idea

I''ve historically been a strong advocate of the diamond formation -- mostly because I think we have a player in Bentley who can play the hole position and it''s the best way to utilize his skills.

But we''ve seen the formation get punished and we''ve seen Holt and Francis suffer in that formation -- so I need to take back my preference for the diamond.

But I still believe in Bents and continue to feel that he is wasted out on the left.

So how about this formation (others have suggested it already I think):

Green
Fleming Charlton Doherty
Helveg Drury
Holt Francis
Bentley
McKenzie Huckerby

Ignoring whether it shoudl Helveg or Edworthy or Leon or anyone else, I think this formation might protect the flanks more; provide some width without sacrificing the defence; provide Holt and Francis with the roles they are used to and take advantage of Bents in the hole -- where I think he can cause great problems for the other team if given more of a chance to develop in that role.

Thoughts?

i guess the formatting didn''t work.the formation i wrote about above is:---------------GREEN----------------------FLEMING--CHARLTON--DOHERTY--------HELVEG--------------------DRURY-------------HOLT------FRANCIS-------------------------BENTLEY------------------------McKENZIE----HUCKERBY---------a 5-2-1-2 so to speak.

[quote]i guess the formatting didn''t work.the formation i wrote about above is:---------------GREEN----------------------FLEMING--CHARLTON--DOHERTY--------HELVEG--------------------DRURY-------------HOLT----...[/quote]

I have found your formation works on Championship manager ny.  In real life though it can create problems:

Having in effect 3 central defenders, there can be confusion as to who picks up the forwards.  One could leave it for the other two and in the end nobody marks the striker.

Wing backs- Is Drury enough attack minded?  Also, would we be caught short at the back when he has gone forward?

Not a lot of width.  I always think we don''t play as well when we don''t have two wide players.

Sorry ny, thats just my opinion.  For each of my negative comments I''m sure there are positves too.  Maybe I''m a bit traditional with my 4-4-2

Can''t say I''m a master tactition (not sure if that''s even spelt right!!).

But I would rather Huckerby played behind a front pairing of McKenzie and A.another.  Not sure how the rest of the field would look but I can''t see wing backs working for us - Drury''s a full back end of story he''s not of the Ashley Cole mould - but superb at the job he does.

-----------------GREEN------------------

EDWORTHY--FLEMING--CHARLTON--DRURY

----JONSON----FRANCIS----MCVEIGH-----

----------------HUCKERBY----------------

---MCKENZIE----SVENSSON / DOC / ??? ---

I don''t know - just counting down the seconds to 5:30pm

i would keep the same 5-2-1-2

but place adam as one of center back and then play jim as the left side winger