Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

The Standard of the MLS - TRUTH

"MLS is a pub league", "MLS is Yarmouth standard", "MLS is blue square Premier".  You are clearly clueless if you believe this. So lets look at some current MLS players:-

• Ade Akinbiyi (Houston Dynamo)
  • Juan Pablo Angel (New York Red Bulls)
  • David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy)
  • Bobby Convey (San Jose Earthquakes)
  • Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)
  • Darren Huckerby (San Jose Earthquakes)
  • Kasey Keller (Seattle Sounders)
  • Eddie Lewis (Los Angeles Galaxy)
  • Freddie Ljunberg (Seattle Sounders FC)
  • Claudio Lopez (Kansas City Wizards)
  • Brian McBride (Chicago Fire)
  • Jaime Moreno (D.C. United)
  • Rohan Ricketts (Toronto FC)
  • Carlos Marinelli (Kansas City Wizards)
  • Gregg Berhalter (Los Angeles Galaxy)
  • Albert Celades (New York Red Bulls)
  • Danny Dichio (Toronto FC)
  • Pablo Matroeni (Colorado Rapids)
  • Clint Mathis (Real Salt Lake)
  • Dave Van Der Bergh (FC Dallas)

I will leave you with some quotes:-

David Beckham has again defended the standard of MLS and insists people who dismiss LA Galaxy as a "pub team" know nothing about the game. "I don''t know whether it''s ignorance or snobbery or whether it''s that the people saying these things have never played the game or watched it being played here."  (A player that is having more success in Italy than he is in the MLS!)

Steve Morrow is a fierce defender of the standards of the MLS - "to put it very bluntly, I am sick and tired of hearing people say it''s no good" - and is adamant that after Championship football, playing in America was a step up. "The level is very good and if I had to compare, I''d say the top teams could survive in the Premiership without a problem," he said.  "It is a good standard, and it doesn''t get the recognition it deserves in England."

GOOD LUCK FINDING A SQUAD OF PLAYERS FROM LEAGUE ONE, TWO AND BLUE SQUARE THAT COULD BEAT THAT LOT.

Beckham was paid severall million dollars to promote the MLS, hardly going to run it down is he. I''ve watched plenty of MLS last season to form my own opinion of the standard. Most sides had one or two decent players but the majority were certainly non league standard.

But they are not all in one team though are they, so no league one team would ever play them.They are the players brought in on big money to improve the profile of the MLS, at the expense of the rest of the squad in some cases.  The average wage of a player at LA Galaxy is 50 times less than Beckhams wage.Beckham etc have a vested interest in the MLS - it pays their wages, they are hardly going to say "I came over to play in an easy league for big money" are they?Huckerby - when he went over there, EVERYONE was calling it one last pay day for him, and dont deny thats what you thought as well!Why not watch MLS, lots of it, I have.  It is nowhere near the standard of the English leagues. and the claim you quoted that any MLS team could survive the Premiership - its laughable.Celtic and Rangers - could they survive the Premiership - Im not 100% convinved, and no MLS team is close to either of those in terms of quality of player available.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

"MLS is a pub league", "MLS is Yarmouth standard", "MLS is blue square Premier".  You are clearly clueless if you believe this. So lets look at some current MLS players:-

David Beckham has again defended the standard of MLS and insists people who dismiss LA Galaxy as a "pub team" know nothing about the game. "I don''t know whether it''s ignorance or snobbery or whether it''s that the people saying these things have never played the game or watched it being played here."  (A player that is having more success in Italy than he is in the MLS!)

Steve Morrow is a fierce defender of the standards of the MLS - "to put it very bluntly, I am sick and tired of hearing people say it''s no good" - and is adamant that after Championship football, playing in America was a step up. "The level is very good and if I had to compare, I''d say the top teams could survive in the Premiership without a problem," he said.  "It is a good standard, and it doesn''t get the recognition it deserves in England."

GOOD LUCK FINDING A SQUAD OF PLAYERS FROM LEAGUE ONE, TWO AND BLUE SQUARE THAT COULD BEAT THAT LOT.

[/quote]

Come on then ACE, you want to argue about the standard of the MLS, why dont you argue with me, David Beckham and Steve Morrow?

Find me a squad of League One, Two and Three players that could compete with that lot?

thats like 20 players in the whole league that are decent, or were decent put are mostly past it now

[quote user="ACE"]But they are not all in one team though are they, so no league one team would ever play them.

They are the players brought in on big money to improve the profile of the MLS, at the expense of the rest of the squad in some cases.  The average wage of a player at LA Galaxy is 50 times less than Beckhams wage.

Beckham etc have a vested interest in the MLS - it pays their wages, they are hardly going to say "I came over to play in an easy league for big money" are they?

Huckerby - when he went over there, EVERYONE was calling it one last pay day for him, and dont deny thats what you thought as well!

Why not watch MLS, lots of it, I have.  It is nowhere near the standard of the English leagues. and the claim you quoted that any MLS team could survive the Premiership - its laughable.

Celtic and Rangers - could they survive the Premiership - Im not 100% convinved, and no MLS team is close to either of those in terms of quality of player available.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote][/quote]

I have watched plenty of it, thanks.  I have also seen the USA national team play on several occassions and their team, mostly made up of MLS players, are pretty solid.

Are you totally blinkered?THEY ARE PAID BY THE MLS TO PROMOTE THE MLS.

The players you quote in your list are NOT IN THE SAME TEAM, so no league one team would EVER have to compete with them.Simple question - how many MLS games have you watched for 90 minutes in the last 12 months?  I have watched at least 20. 

[quote user="ryan85k"]

Come on then ACE, you want to argue about the standard of the MLS, why dont you argue with me, David Beckham and Steve Morrow?

Find me a squad of League One, Two and Three players that could compete with that lot?

[/quote]

[quote user="ncfcrule"]thats like 20 players in the whole league that are decent, or were decent put are mostly past it now[/quote]

Yes and I am telling you lot to find me 20 players from every single league below the championship that can compete with that lot.

And you cant can you?

Do you think that Gary Doherty would be a hit in MLS? Do you think that Jamie Cureton would be a hit in the MLS?

People seriously underestimate their leagues, its about the same as the championship.

Oh and for the record,as apparently according to you the USA national team is full of MLS players,  This was the squad for their last international.  I count just 6 out of the 18 in that squad.You want to give upo your ludicorous arguement yet?

1 GK Tim Howard March 6, 1979 (1979-03-06) (age 30) 37 0 Flag of England Everton
2 DF Frankie Hejduk August 5, 1974 (1974-08-05) (age 34) 84 7 Flag of the United States Columbus Crew
3 DF Carlos Bocanegra May 25, 1979 (1979-05-25) (age 29) 65 10 Flag of France Rennes
4 MF Pablo Mastroeni August 26, 1976 (1976-08-26) (age 32) 63 0 Flag of the United States Colorado Rapids
5 DF Oguchi Onyewu May 13, 1982 (1982-05-13) (age 26) 40 5 Flag of Belgium Standard Liège
6 MF José Francisco Torres October 29, 1987 (1987-10-29) (age 21) 4 0 Flag of Mexico Pachuca
7 MF DaMarcus Beasley May 24, 1982 (1982-05-24) (age 26) 85 17 Flag of Scotland Rangers
8 FW Clint Dempsey March 9, 1983 (1983-03-09) (age 26) 49 13 Flag of England Fulham
9 FW Eddie Johnson March 31, 1984 (1984-03-31) (age 25) 37 12 Flag of England Fulham
10 FW Landon Donovan March 4, 1982 (1982-03-04) (age 27) 108 37 Flag of the United States Los Angeles Galaxy
11 FW Brian Ching May 24, 1978 (1978-05-24) (age 30) 36 9 Flag of the United States Houston Dynamo
12 MF Michael Bradley July 31, 1987 (1987-07-31) (age 21) 28 5 Flag of Germany Borussia Mönchengladbach
13 MF Maurice Edu April 18, 1986 (1986-04-18) (age 23) 11 0 Flag of Scotland Rangers
14 DF Jay DeMerit December 4, 1979 (1979-12-04) (age 29) 9 0 Flag of England Watford
15 DF Jonathan Bornstein November 7, 1984 (1984-11-07) (age 24) 14 1 Flag of the United States Chivas USA
16 MF Sacha Kljestan September 9, 1985 (1985-09-09) (age 23) 16 3 Flag of the United States Chivas USA
17 FW Jozy Altidore November 6, 1989 (1989-11-06) (age 19) 9 6 Flag of Spain Xerez
18 GK Brad Guzan September 9, 1984 (1984-09-09) (age 24) 12 0 Flag of England Aston Villa

[quote user="ACE"]Are you totally blinkered?

THEY ARE PAID BY THE MLS TO PROMOTE THE MLS.

The players you quote in your list are NOT IN THE SAME TEAM, so no league one team would EVER have to compete with them.

Simple question - how many MLS games have you watched for 90 minutes in the last 12 months?  I have watched at least 20. 

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote][/quote]

Sorry I obviously cant compete with your little book of ''football games I have watched''.

I lived in America for a year very recently, so my question to you is...... how many MLS games have you watched live in your entire lifetime?  Have you see Huckerby play for San Jose Earthquakes at an actual game?

Have you got any friends that are currently playing in the MLS?

No didnt think so.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]You lost me at Akinbiyi

What on earth has thisa post got to do with the quality of the MLS?You still have not responded to the fact you reckon "most" of the players in the US national soccer tam are from the MLs - which is actually utter rubbish.Get some facts or shut up.[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ACE"]Are you totally blinkered?THEY ARE PAID BY THE MLS TO PROMOTE THE MLS.

The players you quote in your list are NOT IN THE SAME TEAM, so no league one team would EVER have to compete with them.Simple question - how many MLS games have you watched for 90 minutes in the last 12 months?  I have watched at least 20. 

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote][/quote]

Sorry I obviously cant compete with your little book of ''football games I have watched''.

I lived in America for a year very recently, so my question to you is...... how many MLS games have you watched live in your entire lifetime?  Have you see Huckerby play for San Jose Earthquakes at an actual game?

No didnt think so.

[/quote]

Player

DoB (Age)CapsGoalsClubMost Recent Call-Up
Goalkeepers
Jon BuschAugust 18, 1976 (1976-08-18) (age 32)10Flag of the United States Chicago Firev  Sweden; January 24, 2009
Troy PerkinsJuly 20, 1981 (1981-07-20) (age 27)10Flag of Norway VÃ¥lerengav  Sweden; January 24, 2009
Marcus HahnemannJune 15, 1972 (1972-06-15) (age 36)60Flag of England Readingv  El Salvador; March 28, 2009
Defenders
Cory GibbsJanuary 14, 1980 (1980-01-14) (age 29)190Flag of the United States Colorado Rapidsv  Guatemala; November 19, 2008
Clarence GoodsonMay 17, 1982 (1982-05-17) (age 26)20Flag of Norway Startv  Guatemala; November 19, 2008
Drew MoorJanuary 15, 1984 (1984-01-15) (age 25)50Flag of the United States FC Dallasv  Guatemala; November 19, 2008
Ugo IhemeluApril 3, 1983 (1983-04-03) (age 26)20Flag of the United States Colorado Rapidsv  Sweden; January 24, 2009
Michael ParkhurstJanuary 24, 1984 (1984-01-24) (age 25)50Flag of Denmark Nordsjællandv  Sweden; January 24, 2009
Chris WingertJune 16, 1982 (1982-06-16) (age 26)10Flag of the United States Real Salt Lakev  Sweden; January 24, 2009
Marvell WynneMay 8, 1986 (1986-05-08) (age 22)20Flag of Canada Toronto FCv  Mexico; February 11, 2009
Danny CaliffMarch 17, 1980 (1980-03-17) (age 29)231Flag of Denmark Midtjyllandv  El Salvador; March 28, 2009
Heath PearceAugust 13, 1984 (1984-08-13) (age 24)230Flag of Germany Hansa Rostockv  El Salvador; March 28, 2009
Jonathan SpectorMarch 1, 1986 (1986-03-01) (age 23)120Flag of England West Ham Unitedv  El Salvador; March 28, 2009
Midfielders
Freddy AduJune 2, 1989 (1989-06-02) (age 19)121Flag of France Monacov  Guatemala; November, 19, 2008
Brian CarrollJuly 20, 1981 (1981-07-20) (age 27)70Flag of the United States Columbus Crewv  Sweden; January 24, 2009
Eddie GavenOctober 25, 1986 (1986-10-25) (age 22)60Flag of the United States Columbus Crewv  Sweden; January 24, 2009
Robbie RogersMay 12, 1987 (1987-05-12) (age 21)10Flag of the United States Columbus Crewv  Sweden; January 24, 2009
John ThorringtonOctober 17, 1979 (1979-10-17) (age 29)40Flag of the United States Chicago Firev  Sweden; January 24, 2009
Ricardo ClarkFebruary 10, 1983 (1983-02-10) (age 26)181Flag of the United States Houston Dynamov  Mexico; February 11, 2009
Forwards
Davy ArnaudJune 22, 1980 (1980-06-22) (age 28)20Flag of the United States Kansas City Wizardsv  Guatemala; November 19, 2008
Conor CaseyJuly 25, 1981 (1981-07-25) (age 27)90Flag of the United States Colorado Rapidsv  Guatemala; November 19, 2008
Kenny CooperOctober 21, 1984 (1984-10-21) (age 24)42Flag of the United States FC Dallasv  Sweden; January 24, 2009
Charlie DaviesJune 25, 1986 (1986-06-25) (age 22)51Flag of Sweden Hammarbyv  Sweden; January 24, 2009
Chris RolfeJanuary 17, 1983 (1983-01-17) (age 26)100Flag of the United States Chicago Firev  Sweden; January 24, 2009

Thats every other player thats been called up to the USA Squad in the six months before that friendly, which you conveniently left off.

[quote user="ACE"]What on earth has thisa post got to do with the quality of the MLS?

You still have not responded to the fact you reckon "most" of the players in the US national soccer tam are from the MLs - which is actually utter rubbish.

Get some facts or shut up.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ACE"]Are you totally blinkered?

THEY ARE PAID BY THE MLS TO PROMOTE THE MLS.

The players you quote in your list are NOT IN THE SAME TEAM, so no league one team would EVER have to compete with them.

Simple question - how many MLS games have you watched for 90 minutes in the last 12 months?  I have watched at least 20. 

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote][/quote]

No didnt think so.

[/quote][/quote]

Nothing, but you asked me how many games I have watched, and I made you look like a t*t.

Why dont you answer my question?

Only SIX MLS players played in their last game FFS.That hardly backs up your claim the MLS is as good as the Championship!I dont know why Im arguing, anyone reading this who has a clue about footall knows you are talking utter rubbish.

I have watched no MLS games live - only on the TV.How is it relevant where I watch a game?  I have never watched Barcelona live, but I know from the TV that they are pretty good.  [quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ACE"]What on earth has thisa post got to do with the quality of the MLS?You still have not responded to the fact you reckon "most" of the players in the US national soccer tam are from the MLs - which is actually utter rubbish.Get some facts or shut up.[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ACE"]Are you totally blinkered?THEY ARE PAID BY THE MLS TO PROMOTE THE MLS.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote][/quote]

No didnt think so.

[/quote][/quote]

Nothing, but you asked me how many games I have watched, and I made you look like a t*t. Why dont you answer my question?

[/quote]

So that squad was fiction then?[quote user="ryan85k"]

"Get some facts"

Ace, you are using Wikipedia. Enough said.

[/quote]

[quote user="ACE"]Only SIX MLS players played in their last game FFS.

That hardly backs up your claim the MLS is as good as the Championship!

I dont know why Im arguing, anyone reading this who has a clue about footall knows you are talking utter rubbish.
[/quote]

How many of those have at some stage played in the MLS?

Most of the Brazil team plays in Europe, does that make the Brazilian league sh*t?

[quote user="ACE"]So that squad was fiction then?

[quote user="ryan85k"]

"Get some facts"

[/quote][/quote]

No, was my list of every other player to play against the USA in the six months prior fiction?

You can cut and paste and twist all you like, but your still the biggest w*nker on this board.

I dont even understand the point you are desperately trying to make.

You claim the MLS is good, nobody has yet agreed with you.You claim the majority of the US team is from the MLS - proven cobblers.You claim that watching a game live is relevant to the discussion about the quality of the league - its totally irrelevant.You reel off a list of european players - a handful spread across lots of teams and hundreds of players - then say "well you wouldnt want to play that lot" - again - totally irrrelevant.

Is there anyone out there who agrees with this clown that the MLS is of the same standard of football and player quality across the board as the English League One?

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[quote user="ACE"]Only SIX MLS players played in their last game FFS.That hardly backs up your claim the MLS is as good as the Championship!I dont know why Im arguing, anyone reading this who has a clue about footall knows you are talking utter rubbish.[/quote]

Most of the Brazil team plays in Europe, does that make the Brazilian league sh*t?

[/quote]

You are only resorting to name calling because you have lost every point.Counting EVERY PLAYER IN THE PAST SIX MONTHS - I make it about 50/50 are MLS - explain how that equates to "most" please.[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ACE"]So that squad was fiction then?[quote user="ryan85k"]

"Get some facts"

[/quote][/quote]

No, was my list of every other player to play against the USA in the six months prior fiction?

You can cut and paste and twist all you like, but your still the biggest w*nker on this board.

[/quote]

[quote user="ACE"]I dont even understand the point you are desperately trying to make.

You claim the MLS is good, nobody has yet agreed with you.

You claim the majority of the US team is from the MLS - proven cobblers.

You claim that watching a game live is relevant to the discussion about the quality of the league - its totally irrelevant.

You reel off a list of european players - a handful spread across lots of teams and hundreds of players - then say "well you wouldnt want to play that lot" - again - totally irrrelevant.

Is there anyone out there who agrees with this clown that the MLS is of the same standard of football and player quality across the board as the English League One?

[quote user="ryan85k"]

I dont know why Im arguing, anyone reading this who has a clue about footall knows you are talking utter rubbish.
[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

Get back on the Huckerby thread where everybody is calling you a t*t.

[quote user="ACE"]You are only resorting to name calling because you have lost every point.

Counting EVERY PLAYER IN THE PAST SIX MONTHS - I make it about 50/50 are MLS - explain how that equates to "most" please.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ACE"]So that squad was fiction then?

[quote user="ryan85k"]

"Get some facts"

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

YAWN

Given up debating on your thread here then as you have been made to look utterly incompetent.Still nobody agreeing that the overall quality of the MLS is league one standard....[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ACE"]I dont even understand the point you are desperately trying to make.

You claim the MLS is good, nobody has yet agreed with you.You claim the majority of the US team is from the MLS - proven cobblers.You claim that watching a game live is relevant to the discussion about the quality of the league - its totally irrelevant.You reel off a list of european players - a handful spread across lots of teams and hundreds of players - then say "well you wouldnt want to play that lot" - again - totally irrrelevant.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[quote user="ACE"]Only SIX MLS players played in their last game FFS.That hardly backs up your claim the MLS is as good as the Championship!I dont know why Im arguing, anyone reading this who has a clue about footall knows you are talking utter rubbish.[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]

[quote user="ACE"]
Given up debating on your thread here then as you have been made to look utterly incompetent.

Still nobody agreeing that the overall quality of the MLS is league one standard....

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="ACE"]I dont even understand the point you are desperately trying to make.

You claim the MLS is good, nobody has yet agreed with you.

You claim the majority of the US team is from the MLS - proven cobblers.

You claim that watching a game live is relevant to the discussion about the quality of the league - its totally irrelevant.

You reel off a list of european players - a handful spread across lots of teams and hundreds of players - then say "well you wouldnt want to play that lot" - again - totally irrrelevant.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

Yes, or maybe you have bored me sh*tless.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

• Ade Akinbiyi (Houston Dynamo)  34 years old
  • Juan Pablo Angel (New York Red Bulls) 33 years old
  • David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy) 33 years old
  • Bobby Convey (San Jose Earthquakes) 25 years old
  • Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy) 27 years old
  • Darren Huckerby (San Jose Earthquakes) 32/33? years old
  • Kasey Keller (Seattle Sounders) 39 year old
  • Eddie Lewis (Los Angeles Galaxy) 34 year old
  • Freddie Ljunberg (Seattle Sounders FC)  32 years old
  • Claudio Lopez (Kansas City Wizards) 34 years old
  • Brian McBride (Chicago Fire) 35 years old
  • Jaime Moreno (D.C. United) 35 years old
  • Rohan Ricketts (Toronto FC) 26 years old
  • Carlos Marinelli (Kansas City Wizards) 27 years old
  • Gregg Berhalter (Los Angeles Galaxy) 35 years old
  • Albert Celades (New York Red Bulls) 33 years old
  • Danny Dichio (Toronto FC) 34 years old
  • Pablo Matroeni (Colorado Rapids) 32 years old
  • Clint Mathis (Real Salt Lake) 32 years old 
  • Dave Van Der Bergh (FC Dallas) 33 years old

[/quote]16 of those players are over 31 years old....Ljungberg is being paid $5m a season.beckham even more.the rest are there for paydays as well  in a pisspot league.

[quote user="ryan85k"]

[/quote]yes it doesevery good player from brazil tries to make it in europe, the actual quality of the brazillian league isnt that great. the brazilians as players are good, but the league is poor because the quality leaves brazil. why do they leave brazil? career prospects, better challenges and finances of course.

Ryan 85k.

I live here in the states and watch the MLS. It''s a league of old men and young inexperienced college leavers, BUT there are a lot of good players from South America who are not able to play in Europe due to international clearance. Fredy Montero of Seattle would not look out of place in the Premier League. Overall the football is League One. However, some teams are much better than others.

Montero can be found here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCZigiXFnbU