Sign in to follow this  
Tim Allman

A view from Kenton

First up, I’ll give my best wishes to Gunny for the future. He’s the Capital Canaries President, if you didn’t already know, and he’s going to have a tough job in the next few months. He wasn’t even my second choice to become the next NCFC manager, but we where we are, and we should give him the benefit of the doubt and get behind him. If we don’t Gunny will be doomed from the start. So now he’s in the hot seat he has my full support.

But as regards his appointment, to borrow a phrase from our greatest writer, (not Richard Balls), “Something is rotten in the state of Norfolk”, really really wrong.

We have been subjected a Gunny PR campaign that has been organised in a way that would make Alistair Campbell proud. We have been treated to a guest appearance at the open day, a full hour on Radio Goreham, where he didn’t know (yeah right), some positive press from the City View Idiots, and plenty of hints from the Fortress Carrow Road Bunker this week. We even have friendlies with “Bryan’s Friends” as a sop to the masses. (At least we’ll find out how many Man Ure fans there are in Norfolk when the Red Filth youth team come to play City)

Then we had the mysterious timing of the resignations/departures of Munby & Doncaster. Did they fall on their own swords when asked to approve Gunny’s appointment? Or we were they pushed? Or were they last the last people that Delia could get rid of before she ditched MWJ? (I am assuming here that Michael Foulger, a decent guy, and big contributor to the NCFC coffers is exempt here).

And who organised the timing of the appointment? It looks like a crude tactic to draw NCISA’s fire tomorrow night where the local press will have hundreds of supporters at the ready, all ready to become Mr Rent-a-Quote and save the Archant crew the inconvenience of writing a story or (heaven forbid) giving their own opinion on the state of NCFC.

And who were the directors that approved Gunny’s appointment? Which one of five pulled a black ball from the Bag?

And then we hear (or I did for the first time?) that Crooky and Butterworth are on longer contracts than we imagined and we couldn’t possibly afford to bring in a new Gaffer as he would have wanted his own man and we wouldn’t have the cash to pay them off? Another fine mess.

I’d really like to think that a rabbit will be pulled out of (Peter Thorne’s) magic hat and that it will all turn out ok. A rich new investor, or maybe they’ll get lucky with Gunny, but I doubt it.

The cracks have been papered over for the time being, but the whole thing is still a complete mess. We are now in the end game of a tired regime.

If it all goes wrong with Gunny Delia has nowhere to turn apart from the exit door.

See you at the NCISA meeting.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

First up, I’ll give my best wishes to Gunny for the future. He’s the Capital Canaries President, if you didn’t already know, and he’s going to have a tough job in the next few months. He wasn’t even my second choice to become the next NCFC manager, but we where we are, and we should give him the benefit of the doubt and get behind him. If we don’t Gunny will be doomed from the start. So now he’s in the hot seat he has my full support.

But as regards his appointment, to borrow a phrase from our greatest writer, (not Richard Balls), “Something is rotten in the state of Norfolk”, really really wrong.

We have been subjected a Gunny PR campaign that has been organised in a way that would make Alistair Campbell proud. We have been treated to a guest appearance at the open day, a full hour on Radio Goreham, where he didn’t know (yeah right), some positive press from the City View Idiots, and plenty of hints from the Fortress Carrow Road Bunker this week. We even have friendlies with “Bryan’s Friends” as a sop to the masses. (At least we’ll find out how many Man Ure fans there are in Norfolk when the Red Filth youth team come to play City)

Then we had the mysterious timing of the resignations/departures of Munby & Doncaster. Did they fall on their own swords when asked to approve Gunny’s appointment? Or we were they pushed? Or were they last the last people that Delia could get rid of before she ditched MWJ? (I am assuming here that Michael Foulger, a decent guy, and big contributor to the NCFC coffers is exempt here).

And who organised the timing of the appointment? It looks like a crude tactic to draw NCISA’s fire tomorrow night where the local press will have hundreds of supporters at the ready, all ready to become Mr Rent-a-Quote and save the Archant crew the inconvenience of writing a story or (heaven forbid) giving their own opinion on the state of NCFC.

And who were the directors that approved Gunny’s appointment? Which one of five pulled a black ball from the Bag?

And then we hear (or I did for the first time?) that Crooky and Butterworth are on longer contracts than we imagined and we couldn’t possibly afford to bring in a new Gaffer as he would have wanted his own man and we wouldn’t have the cash to pay them off? Another fine mess.

I’d really like to think that a rabbit will be pulled out of (Peter Thorne’s) magic hat and that it will all turn out ok. A rich new investor, or maybe they’ll get lucky with Gunny, but I doubt it.

The cracks have been papered over for the time being, but the whole thing is still a complete mess. We are now in the end game of a tired regime.

If it all goes wrong with Gunny Delia has nowhere to turn apart from the exit door.

[/quote]

"If it all goes wrong with Gunny Delia has nowhere to turn apart from the exit door."

How long can we go on saying this? She already DOES have nowhere to turn - she has turned this club into a laughing stock with the help of her pathetic personal managerial choices.

I''m gutted that I can''t make tomorrow''s meeting, Tim and Kathy.

It would have been nice to have a catch up on what should be a pretty interesting evening despite the Boards attempt to take the sting out of proceedings yesterday and today. 

Great post Tim. I agree this is the last chance saloon for Delia. We are entering a great unknown, a new league, new set of players and an inexperienced manager. The simple fact is if we start next season like we ended last season then I think there will be huge pressure on Gunn and the board.A good start to next season will be imperative for Team Gunn.without I think fans patience will reach boiling point (already has in some cases). One thing that struck me as interesting was the need to sign the right type of player with the right attitude. As far as I''m concerned most managers would like to have eleven players with great attitudes but in reality this is impossible to achieve. All players are different but what we need is the type of man management that gets the best out of these players. Gunn has failed to show he has the ability to motivate the players when it really matters and somehow I can''t see him being able to do it next season.

[quote user="TomSlisz"]I thought this was going to be a view from Darren Kenton lol[/quote]

haha! me too!

he was a handy player for us! shame he never hit the potential.. he could of been a big star.

jas :)

Hopefully we are not missing the bigger picture, pressure this board to move on! Gunn we now have t give time, in a strange way we are duty bound as norwich fans! Although we dont have to be happy about it!

[/quote]

Good post Tim - it certainly was a massive fit-up from start to finish.  But whatever happens now, I think Delia and Michael have had their last chance already.  Bit depressing that we''re probably stuck with them for a while yet.

[/quote]

A few comments and as a furriner which can be safely dismissed.  The Gunny PR campaign has been organised by the local media for a very good reason.  You can ring him up on his mobile and ask him for a quote or ask him on to a programme without bothering with the Press Office which, this end, we like.  Nothing against the Press Office boys and girls, some of whom we like a lot, but it was previously tough dealing with people trained at Pravda.

A good example was this afternoon.  "We cannot tell you what it is about for publication."  Okay, can you tell us what it is about not for publication.  "No I am sorry I can''t but it will also be on the website."

So we just ring up your temporary manager  on his mobile and get: "I''ve just been told I''ve got the job."

So that''s what it is about then. 

There is not any fire in NCISA to draw.  It''s not worth trying.  One of them is a retired Police Constable who couldn''t string coherent sentences out of the proverbial paper bag at knifepoint - see original statement.  Semi literate nonsense.  And this is the man in charge of the meeting.

I cannot say about the rest of it and for all I know Mr Gunn is a complete plonker but, if so, where does that leave NCISA .