Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Exceptional Experience of League One?

WMJ talked of the exceptional experience the management team have of League One.

Gunn - no experience at all in League One.

Crook - no experience at all in League One.

Butterworth - One complete season as an assistant at Cardiff in League One before being sacked. One complete season in League One as Hartlepool reserve team manager.

Gunn says he is after players that are "tried and tested in League One and lower league football"

So be prepared for lower league football for a long time to come.

To be fair, I have several friends who support sides from the lower leagues and they all reckon that you need a certain ''type'' of player to get out of League 1, and that is one who has been there and done it - having Championship/Premiership quality is not really an option for us, but nor might it be a bad thing.     

Unfortunately for us, they all also reckon that you need an experienced manager who is used to that level as well, ie definitely not what Gunn brings to the table.  That said, we have him so all real supporters should back him, as there is no real alternative.

[quote user="sig"]I wondered about that too Tom, seems to be very little League 1 experience.  What about Deehan?[/quote]

League Two Director of Football with Northampton Town and Lincoln City.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

To be fair, I have several friends who support sides from the lower leagues and they all reckon that you need a certain ''type'' of player to get out of League 1, and that is one who has been there and done it - having Championship/Premiership quality is not really an option for us, but nor might it be a bad thing.     

Unfortunately for us, they all also reckon that you need an experienced manager who is used to that level as well, ie definitely not what Gunn brings to the table.  That said, we have him so all real supporters should back him, as there is no real alternative.

[/quote]I love the way that board supporters are flinging these little remarks into their posts now - and with such unision too.....

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

Swansea, Bristol City, and Doncaster all got promoted with the basis of Championship standard teams. You need strength in League One, but you need that extra bit of class to get promoted. Look at Peterborough and Leicester who were promoted this season.

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

I love the way that board supporters are flinging these little remarks into their posts now - and with such unision too.....
[/quote]

Board supporter?  Just how on earth do you come to that conclusion?  I said that we didn''t get the sort of manager I thought we needed, so I''m not sure how that would make me a "board supporter" (whatever that is).  We desperately need money injected in the club and from what was said on SSN earlier, it doesn''t sound like it will be forthcoming.  That makes me extremely concerned.  It certainly does not particularly make me a supporter of the board. 

Oh, hang on, I said that we should back him as he is what we have got.  And there was me thinking that was just pragmatic, as we don''t really have an alternative.  But no, it clearly means that I back whatever the club does as a blind sheep.

[Incidentally, on reading through the millions of  (rather similar) threads on here tonight, it seemed to me that it is the particularly anti-board people who are claiming to be the ''real'' supporters. ]

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

Swansea, Bristol City, and Doncaster all got promoted with the basis of Championship standard teams. You need strength in League One, but you need that extra bit of class to get promoted. Look at Peterborough and Leicester who were promoted this season.

[/quote]

Am not so sure - but I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat, you can probably play your way out but I think more sides would rely on more steel and strength; anyway, my friends support Brighton and Brentford so what do they know?!

We are not even contemplating promotion we just want to be able to compete and consolidate , pathetic club run by pathetic people for pathetic supporters .

[quote user="Branston Pickle"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

Am not so sure - but I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat, you can probably play your way out but I think more sides would rely on more steel and strength; anyway, my friends support Brighton and Brentford so what do they know?!

[/quote]

I can''t go into detail, but I can assure you that I know an awful lot about League One. Physical strength is required if you want to stay in League One but the ones who get promoted have more than just that. Plus you need to be extremely well organised so everyone knows their job. No round pegs in square holes. The team needs to be well motivated and the club and fans should not look down upon small clubs thinking NCFC only have to turn up to win. It will be very important to get a good start else I can see the fans going crazy.

It will be a cup-tie every week and the other clubs will already be looking forward to playing NCFC.

I know what to expect, and I''m worried.