Sign in to follow this  
BigFish

We are where we are

The reasons for our decline have been long debated but there seems serious self delusion around about how far we have sunk.Last season we were the third worst team in the division. But the table does lie, just not in the way that some of the Percy''s suppose. That position was achieved while losing £10k per day which is clearly unsustainable. With the reduced income cuts are clearly required now which would seem to indicate a weaker team for 2009/2010.In addition this position was achieved by a team where half the league appearances were made by players who have either since left the club (Marshall, Croft, Fotheringham) or were on loan (c20% left - 100 apps, c31% loans - 158 apps). Not surprisingly this group supplied nearly half the goals as well 28/57.So clearly we are broke, in the the third division and only have half a team. Even if we ignore pre-season training we are only 86 days away from kicking off next season.Now answer me the question what manager in his right mind would take this on.........unless he was desperate and would we want a desperate manager.Catch 22[U]

...........oh and forgot the board isn''t even quorate so they can''t even make the wrong decisions officially!

Sorry - completely disagree. Our job would be very attractive to just about any manager working in the bottom 2 divisions and probably a number of other out of work managers who have worked at a higher level. We are a big club at this level. We are at (hopefully) our lowest ebb now. 3 months ago when Roeder went our job was a risk for any manager because relegation would have ruined their cv (unless you are Bryan Gunn of course) but now taking us on is really a no lose situation. You''d have to really go some to get us relegated from league 1 and any manager who sorts us out and gets us up will emerge with their reputation enhanced. With our crowds any manager worth his salt ought to also be able to attract decent young players from the bottom 2 divisions. Ok maybe not the very best as they will be snapped up by champ clubs but we ought to be able to beat off most clubs at league 1 level to the signature of players.

Not deluded but if start thinking we can''t even compete at this lebel then we really are f**ked!

[quote] We are a big club at this level.[/quote]We are a big club at the moment, it would only take a season or two of poor performances to bring the 18,000 season ticket holders down to 14,000 or possibly lower.  Lower income means even less money on players, which is why I think it was essential to bring in an experienced man.  I agree that any league 1 manager worth his salt would jump at the chance to manage Norwich - it would be their chance to take us up and prove themselves in the Championship.

Agree with you Blah. We are a great prospect for an up and coming manager, as the potential at NCFC if huge, if it were run in a proper and businesslike way with the board making rational decisions.

If Gunn fails what position will we be in and who would take over then? Who''s running the box office these days?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Sorry - completely disagree. Our job would be very attractive to just about any manager working in the bottom 2 divisions and probably a number of other out of work managers who have worked at a higher level. We are a big club at this level. We are at (hopefully) our lowest ebb now. 3 months ago when Roeder went our job was a risk for any manager because relegation would have ruined their cv (unless you are Bryan Gunn of course) but now taking us on is really a no lose situation. You''d have to really go some to get us relegated from league 1 and any manager who sorts us out and gets us up will emerge with their reputation enhanced. With our crowds any manager worth his salt ought to also be able to attract decent young players from the bottom 2 divisions. Ok maybe not the very best as they will be snapped up by champ clubs but we ought to be able to beat off most clubs at league 1 level to the signature of players.

Not deluded but if start thinking we can''t even compete at this lebel then we really are f**ked!

[/quote]Just the kind of delusion I was talking about - perfect. If we start today we might just be able to put out a side that could compete in League One. That is compete, not even challenge.Any manager worth his salt will be watching the managerial merry-go-round very closely. The gig is up for grabs, if that goes to Rogers or Parkinson that frees up another post more attractive or as least as attractive as Carrow Road. Before you know it we would be back in pre-season training with half a team and no manager.And yes, as you so nicely put it, at the moment we really are f**ked.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote] We are a big club at this level.[/quote]We are a big club at the moment, it would only take a season or two of poor performances to bring the 18,000 season ticket holders down to 14,000 or possibly lower.  Lower income means even less money on players, which is why I think it was essential to bring in an experienced man.  I agree that any league 1 manager worth his salt would jump at the chance to manage Norwich - it would be their chance to take us up and prove themselves in the Championship. [/quote] I agree blahx3 that our status in this league whilst being big at present is in danger of becoming that of a oh yeah they used to be a big team way back. What really worries me is that type of mentality runs through the heart of the club already in the form of board, players and staff. And we fan will adopt it all to quickly in order to not put ourselves through the mental pain. If you can get what I mean from that.We are where we belong because of the football we have played. That is because of the players we have had. And that is because of the managers we have had and the money and that is because of the Board we have had. But there is no endless pot of money. The mistakes made when we were in the top flight are now well and truly home to roost.

[quote]Just the kind of delusion I was talking about - perfect. If we start

today we might just be able to put out a side that could compete in

League One. That is compete, not even challenge.[/quote]18,000 season ticket holders is not a delusion - those tickets buy some kind of playing budget that should dwarf others in this league, especially with the loan signings going home.  My concern is that Gunn does a Worthy to an extent - bringing in mediocre players for the level on high wages because that''s all he could find afte getting relegated.  An experienced league 1 manager would have the contacts for the level, would be able to bring players he needs in to do the job.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Just the kind of delusion I was talking about - perfect. If we start

today we might just be able to put out a side that could compete in

League One. That is compete, not even challenge.[/quote]18,000 season ticket holders is not a delusion - those tickets buy some kind of playing budget that should dwarf others in this league, especially with the loan signings going home.  My concern is that Gunn does a Worthy to an extent - bringing in mediocre players for the level on high wages because that''s all he could find afte getting relegated.  An experienced league 1 manager would have the contacts for the level, would be able to bring players he needs in to do the job.[/quote]Take your point blah & the number of season ticket holders gives me hope. But 18,000 ticket holders gave us a loss of £10k per day and this can only get worse in League One. The point I was trying to make was that we need a manager now if we are to put together a team for 2009/2010 and quite frankly that was never going to happen. Would Tilson for example leave Southend to come here today, now I don''t think so as he would take a quick look at the chances for promotion of the two clubs and think "hang on, I would be better staying put and seeing if I get a better offer".The nightmare is that Gunn fills the team with the mediocre players on big wages without a doubt but the idea that a experienced League 1 boss would jack in a job to take the risk of getting the sack here before examining all options first in time to put together a team for next season is fanciful in the extreme.