Sign in to follow this  
xcityman

GUNN can not be judged on last season, he deserves his chance.

Glenn Roeder ripped the heart out of this club, his arrogance and clear contempt for the fans, staff and directors showed just how poor a manager he was. Players didn''t want to play for him, directors had little time for him and fans really did not like him and his attitude was all because (IMO) he felt he was too good to be at the club.

He could not handle ‘big’ players hence huckerbys departure and him not getting ‘decent’ and experienced ones in. For one he could not handle them when they were here so never really tried to get them and secondly his reputation in football is very well known and many players did not want to come here.

That is why we ended up with young loan players and too many of them and that is where my point about Gunn stems from.

Gunny had far too many loan players to deal with, at the end of the season they would return to their own clubs next season after a nice break in Vegas thanks of NCFC.

The performances are proof of this, I saw two games at the end of the season and one poss two of the payers on the pitch really looked like they cared about the future of the club.

Gunn now has a fresh start and should be given the opportunity to proof he can do the job with a clean slate. It is only fair.

Now i have been on hear a few times to have a go at the board about previous managerial appointments and if we were in the championship i would seriously question this appointment but we are not and for that reason i think this is a good appointment. This league is not as good, needs less tactical understanding and more about player management and that is where gunn will excel. Butterworth has good history as a coach, Deehan is vastly experienced and Crooks experience and a player will be huge.

COME ON GUNNY

[quote user="xcityman"]Glenn Roeder ripped the heart out of this club, his arrogance and clear contempt for the fans, staff and directors showed just how poor a manager he was. Players didn''t want to play for him, directors had little time for him and fans really did not like him and his attitude was all because (IMO) he felt he was too good to be at the club. He could not handle ‘big’ players hence huckerbys departure and him not getting ‘decent’ and experienced ones in. For one he could not handle them when they were here so never really tried to get them and secondly his reputation in football is very well known and many players did not want to come here. That is why we ended up with young loan players and too many of them and that is where my point about Gunn stems from. Gunny had far too many loan players to deal with, at the end of the season they would return to their own clubs next season after a nice break in Vegas thanks of NCFC. The performances are proof of this, I saw two games at the end of the season and one poss two of the payers on the pitch really looked like they cared about the future of the club. Gunn now has a fresh start and should be given the opportunity to proof he can do the job with a clean slate. It is only fair. Now i have been on hear a few times to have a go at the board about previous managerial appointments and if we were in the championship i would seriously question this appointment but we are not and for that reason i think this is a good appointment. This league is not as good, needs less tactical understanding and more about player management and that is where gunn will excel. Butterworth has good history as a coach, Deehan is vastly experienced and Crooks experience and a player will be huge. COME ON GUNNY[/quote]

All very well but we dont have time or money to play around  with our fingers crossed. Gunnys appointment is probabley the most ridiculous board decision in the history of the club. This f***** cook is destroying us.

I will support Gunny, if only because of who he is, the real target should be Delia who is slowly but surely destroying this club. Sure a Roy Keane figure would have been nice but without a "Peter Cullum " type investor we do not have the pot of gold needed to lure ambitious managers here, in fact I doubt we could afford anyone right now.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]I will support Gunny, if only because of who he is, the real target should be Delia who is slowly but surely destroying this club. Sure a Roy Keane figure would have been nice but without a "Peter Cullum " type investor we do not have the pot of gold needed to lure ambitious managers here, in fact I doubt we could afford anyone right now.[/quote]

''we couldn''t afford anyone'' (to paraphrase)...sorry are we not paying Gunn, is his wage significantly less that that of say a Jim Gannon...I''m not buying Gunn as being the only option we can afford I imagine he''s drawing a decent wage out of us...are you seriously suggesting that an unemployed manager would rather stay at home gardening than take a risk with us, again I simply don''t buy that a Gannon. Boothroyd, Holloway, would rather be at home decorating (they can''t all get the Reading job)

Asolutely, Gunn, Butterworth & Crook should be given their chance, their passioin & loyalty is unquestionable....have we forgotten this is a sport their are winners and losers, highs and lows and Roeder left this club with it''s heart ripped out, we should get behind the team and the club and rebuild for the future, relegation could be a hard blessing in disguise....can''t see many managers taking on the task with so little investment on the horizon especially given the economic situation - we are in a reccessioin for God''s sake, we are in league one and now we have to deal with it. Can''t believe how Delia is being vilified if Smith and Jones pull out the club might go into administration and then where would we be? Let''s get behind the club in tough times they need the loyalty of the fans more than ever....better days will come...when the going gets tough the tough get going lets show them what we''re made of.

If we fail to promote at the first time of asking, we will be in the schtuck financially.  You can''t expect 18,000 people to renew for more than 1 season of league 1 football.  Next season is our best chance to get out of this league.   We all want Bryan to succeed, I just can''t see how he can with little or no management experience of this, or any level, and after the tactical shockers and inability to influence games from the dug-out at the end of last season.

[quote user="xcityman"]Glenn Roeder ripped the heart out of this club, his arrogance and clear contempt for the fans, staff and directors showed just how poor a manager he was. Players didn''t want to play for him, directors had little time for him and fans really did not like him and his attitude was all because (IMO) he felt he was too good to be at the club. He could not handle ‘big’ players hence huckerbys departure and him not getting ‘decent’ and experienced ones in. For one he could not handle them when they were here so never really tried to get them and secondly his reputation in football is very well known and many players did not want to come here. That is why we ended up with young loan players and too many of them and that is where my point about Gunn stems from. Gunny had far too many loan players to deal with, at the end of the season they would return to their own clubs next season after a nice break in Vegas thanks of NCFC. The performances are proof of this, I saw two games at the end of the season and one poss two of the payers on the pitch really looked like they cared about the future of the club. Gunn now has a fresh start and should be given the opportunity to proof he can do the job with a clean slate. It is only fair. Now i have been on hear a few times to have a go at the board about previous managerial appointments and if we were in the championship i would seriously question this appointment but we are not and for that reason i think this is a good appointment. This league is not as good, needs less tactical understanding and more about player management and that is where gunn will excel. Butterworth has good history as a coach, Deehan is vastly experienced and Crooks experience and a player will be huge. COME ON GUNNY[/quote]

My gut feeling is that we should not be taking a gamble on a manager with no experience (and who was being outwitted tactically so often by his opposite number last season) when we are starting the most important season of the club''s history.

If we were midtable then yes let him learn and grow and we can be patient but as things are this is a suicidal decision which I''m convinced will see us end up anchored in League One for the next couple of years at the very least.

Why do we have to gamble on an amateur?

[quote user="Salahuddin"]I will support Gunny, if only because of who he is, the real target should be Delia who is slowly but surely destroying this club. Sure a Roy Keane figure would have been nice but without a "Peter Cullum " type investor we do not have the pot of gold needed to lure ambitious managers here, in fact I doubt we could afford anyone right now.[/quote]

Thank God for commonsense. There in  three lines is a succint and salient summary of the position that our beloved club is in.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]

Thank God for commonsense. There in  three lines is a succint and salient summary of the position that our beloved club is in.

[/quote]

alright then, 3.25 lines.

If we end up entrenched in league one it will not be Gunn''s fault or for the want of trying, it will be because there is no investment in players. Gunn, Butterworth & Crook should be given their chance,

their passioin & loyalty is unquestionable....have we forgotten

this is a sport their are winners and losers, highs and lows and Roeder

left this club with it''s heart ripped out, we should get behind the

team and the club and rebuild for the future, relegation could be a

hard blessing in disguise....can''t see many managers taking on the task

with so little investment on the horizon especially given the economic

situation - we are in a reccessioin for God''s sake, we are in league

one and now we have to deal with it. Can''t believe how Delia is being

vilified if Smith and Jones pull out the club might go into

administration and then where would we be? Let''s get behind the club in

tough times they need the loyalty of the fans more than ever....better

days will come...when the going gets tough the tough get going lets

show them what we''re made of.

Konstantin, it''s very simple, we are run by a bunch of amateurs. I don''t know why anyone is surprised at anything that''s happened over the last few days, or indeed the past season, or even the last few years.

Mr.Cheese and Biscuits had his chance a blew it. The most important thing is that the players, by a large, were NOT playing for him last season. So why should they play for him next season? He does not command respect or authority. Nice guys don''t win football matches - their wives play around and get divorced... :) :)

Mines two sugars please Brian.

Yep, agree with all of that. Gunn  stepped upto the plate when most in his position would have kept a low profile. No one will ever know whether experienced managers such as a Boothroyd or an Ince would have done better or worse than Gunn. The fact is that Gunn inherited a complete and utter shambles. The reality is we are now in League One, have no money and, like it or not, we are in a re-build situation. No quick fixes a la Roeder and his legion of Premiership post-pubescent reserves. We have a manager who is a thoroughly decent guy, honest, honourable, determined and really wanting to do the right thing by the club and the fans. Let''s not undervalue his experience in football either. He''s been round the block a few times and has experienced and worked with God knows how many managers at Norwich over the years, plus he is well-supported. IMO, the time has arrived to stop the toxic nonsense being vomited at Gunn and Delia Smith and get behind the Club. Gunn and his team should now be judged over two seasons. Personally, I am confident that the combination of experience, contacts, ability and honest commitment offered by Gunn, Crook, Butterworth and Deehan will result in promotion back to the Championship within the next two seasons. Of course, I would love it if we could bounce straight back but realistically I can''t see much as I want to.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]If we fail to promote at the first time of asking, we will be in the schtuck financially.  You can''t expect 18,000 people to renew for more than 1 season of league 1 football.  Next season is our best chance to get out of this league.   We all want Bryan to succeed, I just can''t see how he can with little or no management experience of this, or any level, and after the tactical shockers and inability to influence games from the dug-out at the end of last season.
[/quote]

gunn has about the same experience as the leicester manager had at the start of last season, gotta give him a chance?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]If we fail to promote at the first time of asking, we will be in the schtuck financially.  You can''t expect 18,000 people to renew for more than 1 season of league 1 football.  Next season is our best chance to get out of this league.   We all want Bryan to succeed, I just can''t see how he can with little or no management experience of this, or any level, and after the tactical shockers and inability to influence games from the dug-out at the end of last season.
[/quote]

gunn has about the same experience as the leicester manager had at the start of last season, gotta give him a chance?

[quote]Gunn and his team should now be judged over two seasons.[/quote]Even if we''re mid-table by Xmas ?  Or god forbid bottom 6 by October ?

If you are prepared to give him two more seasons then you must be prepared to go to the Confrence because that is where he will take us, as mentioned many times before we were not in the bottom three when he took over and by the end of the season we were five points adrift of safety. Players couldn''t be bothered to play for him at Charlton. 

[quote user="shareholder-fairy"]Asolutely, Gunn, Butterworth & Crook should be given their chance, their passioin & loyalty is unquestionable....have we forgotten this is a sport their are winners and losers, highs and lows and Roeder left this club with it''s heart ripped out, we should get behind the team and the club and rebuild for the future, relegation could be a hard blessing in disguise....can''t see many managers taking on the task with so little investment on the horizon especially given the economic situation - we are in a reccessioin for God''s sake, we are in league one and now we have to deal with it. Can''t believe how Delia is being vilified if Smith and Jones pull out the club might go into administration and then where would we be? Let''s get behind the club in tough times they need the loyalty of the fans more than ever....better days will come...when the going gets tough the tough get going lets show them what we''re made of.
[/quote]

Jesus Christ... don''t you get it... GUNN has NO experience... In this league you need a shrewd manager to get results, it''s not the same as the championship

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]

the loan players are easily quoted as the source of all our ills..

but how many decent shifts did we get out of Russell, Otsemobor, Marshall, Fotheringham, Cureton, Pattison, under Gunn

a didn''t see Gunn having a huge impact on our contracted players

[/quote]

Have you not heard of the phrase "You can''t make a silk purse out of a pig''s ear"? I do not believe Jose Mourenio would get those players playing to a standard that was acceptable. The blame for their performances should not be Gunny''s but the people who brought them to our club.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"][quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]

but how many decent shifts did we get out of Russell, Otsemobor, Marshall, Fotheringham, Cureton, Pattison, under Gunn

[/quote]

Have you not heard of the phrase "You can''t make a silk purse out of a pig''s ear"? I do not believe Jose Mourenio would get those players playing to a standard that was acceptable. The blame for their performances should not be Gunny''s but the people who brought them to our club.

[/quote]

such as the head of player recruitment you mean?

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"][quote user="Yellow Wall"][quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

such as the head of player recruitment you mean?

[/quote]

Oh come on, you know damned well that Roeder made the decisions as to who he wanted at the club. "My mate Wenger, my old players at Newcastle etc etc" He was the one who ripped out the heart of our club.

you know that ... how gunn took over a team of players who couldnt be bothered and a half made up with loan players brought in by roeder .

if you took over a company , and your workers wouldnt do thier job , but you couldnt replace them , whos fault would that be ?

the previous manager who employed them i guess!!

lets have a look at the team .

marshall .... not a gunn signing now gone .

bertrand ... loan player not gunns gone back to chelsea .

shacks ..sold by roeder , brought back but gunn one of our best players ( who didnt conceed penalties or injured or sent of like others i will mention later

john ostemobor ... not a gunn signing still been very poor player

adam dury ... injured not a gunn signing .

dejan stefanovic ... roeder flop injured .

lee croft not a gunn signing , never wanted to stay no comitment .

sammy clinigan dare i say it one of roeders good signings.

jamie cureton .. grants signing vasty over priced signing .

gary doherty.. not gunns signing

hoolhan ... roedrs signing injured .

simon lappin .. grants signing .poor

pattison ... roeders signing , ended up with a crimal record for drink driving .

stuart nelson .. roeder sold joe lewis and replaced with a non qualty keeper .

cody mcdonald .... gunns signing scored within 5 minutes of being in the pitch good prospect for 25k

carl cort ... roeder flop

lupoli .. roeder flop

darrell russel bought by grant .

so how anyone can say this is gunns fault when he has signed one player with all the players i have mentioned is crazy

and i forgot to mention alan lee ... scored a few wants to stay in leauge 1 ..gunns signing

david mooney .. scored a few .. gunns signing

chris killen sent back gunns signing but rubbish but quick enough to send back .

kormo ..if thats how you spell it roeders signing major flop

sibs ... roeders signing flop then got injured and sent back

and i forgot spillane and martin who were loaned out to luton who went on to win a game at wembley . loaned out by roeder done well for other club !!

TYhe main point now remains that Bryan Gunn has been appointed manager of Norwich City ...... sure not everyone likes the idea but it is not going to change. Surely it is now time to accept what has happened and give the man some semblance of support instead of constantly criticising his every move.

Let''s face it how many of last year''s squad would you even consider in Norwich City teams of the past ........ none would get in! Our transfer business in the last three or four (or more) seasons has been appalling and now we have somebody who, somehow, must try to sort out the one hell of a mess we find ourselves in.

As for players leaving ........ as far as I am concerned the more the better with the exception of about two or possibly three. We need to start again but must be realistic and realise that it will not be an overnight job. Leicester went straight back up but they had a far better player base than we have, in fact I cannot remember a worse set of players at the club since we last came out od Division Three. Perhaps you can?