Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Cut out the language please

[quote user="ACE"]Language you guys deem inappropriate is blocked by the filters.  So what is this other language you are referring to?

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

It''s against the rules and there really is no need.

Cheers.

[/quote][/quote]

but the filters work on the post but not on the mouse over preview on the main message board page

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Thanks for posting this Pete. Does your request include the refraining of bad language that some try to legitimize by substituting an asterisk for one of the letters? It''s my opinion that it should and, if certain posters regularly abuse the situation, then they should be warned and ultimately banned if they fail to heed the warning.[/quote]

As I understand it your lot in the Supreme Court have banned six words. Well so much for "free speach" in the USA. Small wonder the World learns English and not American! English is a living language that grows daily. I need subtitles (captions) to understand the language in your films (movies) these days!.

As I was evidently one of those who caused the "kerfuffle" on the boards last night I feel I should respond.Firstly, I apologise if anyone was offended by language used by myself on this forum.  Offending is not my intention - passionate debate and calling a spade a spade are.I would like to say that what happened last night went beyond throwing insults in passionate debate from some people, who need to have a little look at themselves.  I was threatened with physical violence on two occassions, merely for expressing the opinon that I felt Darren Huckerby has little to contribute to a Norwich team in league one, and I would rather he retired so people stopped going on about him somehow saving us. The thread is deleted so no point in resurecting the argument, but I do feel I backed up my opinion with debate, but was at times met with hatred that felt a bit like the brain washed idol worship and hatred you see in other parts of the world.I would like to make a serious point about moderation of this forum.  It is inconsistent and arbitary.  We have now been asked to maintain standards of language without being clear on what this actually means.   The swear filter does not work, and people will always bypass them by tailoring the words to not get picked up Fine - so delete all posts or let them all go - you can''t have this bizarre middle ground that exists.  Deleting a post and then emailing us to tell us with "no reason" given is also hardly constructive in helping people understand the boundaries.Also, how can the moderation team retain any credibility when they stamp down on someone using a swear word with asterisks positioned in it, yet allow a huge pair of animated boobs to be seen, amongst other things that are tolerated despite their equal ability to cause potential offence - what message does that send out?  I read a post yesterday that alluded to someone being the same as what was between a womans legs - how on earth is that allowed to pass?  It appears that a reaction to swearing has happened, but apparently the message is if we dress it up a bit then its ok.  Persistent blatant trolling, blatant multiple accounts to hijack threads with inane posts, the list goes on and it goes far beyond the "storm in a teacup" that prompted this thread and the one by Chicken.I won''t pretend to find some of the attitudes displayed in the past 24 hours a bit two-faced.  The backlash has been one of "I dont want to read that language blah blah".  I find this odd as these are the same people who will tolerate it at the ground and may well join in singing about the referee and the opposition etc.  Double standards I believe it is called, and with a lot more children present than frequent these message boards.Anyway, thats my say.  I apologise again if my contributions have offended and I will attempt to raise my game.  I sincelerly hope that others will to, and that the moderation team will raise theirs as well.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"] Does your request include the refraining of bad language that some try to legitimize by substituting an asterisk for one of the letters? [/quote]

It does, yes.

I''m sure we can all get our points across without swearing....

[/quote]

It''s against the rules and there really is no need.

Cheers.

[/quote]

i agree no need for the FUCKING bad language its not fucking called for so shut it.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Ween_Nasty"]

[/quote]

You spelled **** wrong.[:P]
[/quote]

**** *** , ****

better?

[quote user="Bobert"]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Thanks for posting this Pete. Does your request include the refraining of bad language that some try to legitimize by substituting an asterisk for one of the letters? It''s my opinion that it should and, if certain posters regularly abuse the situation, then they should be warned and ultimately banned if they fail to heed the warning.[/quote]

As I understand it your lot in the Supreme Court have banned six words. Well so much for "free speach" in the USA. Small wonder the World learns English and not American! English is a living language that grows daily. I need subtitles (captions) to understand the language in your films (movies) these days!.

[/quote]

Bobert, if your desire is for the world to learn English correctly perhaps you''d let them know that it''s "speech", not "speach." At the same time, perhaps you would let them know that "breech" is the back part of a gun barrel whereas "breach" is the breaking of a rule. So as not to stop there also advise the world that a "leech" is commonly known as a blood sucker whereas a "leach" facilitates the draining from solid by the action of water passing through it. Incidentally, if you get a lot of complaining from the students as to the complexity in spelling differences when there is no difference in phonics perhaps you will be good enough to let them know who invented the language to begin with. Now, if we''re going to "teach" others about the English language one should have the ability to spell correctly in the process. With respect to pronunciation ( viz American films ) I would only say that the only time I have heard my wife incesssantly utter the expression "pardon me", in order to comprehend what someone is trying to say, is when she has been visiting jolly old England. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bobert"]

[/quote]

Bobert, if your desire is for the world to learn English correctly perhaps you''d let them know that it''s "speech", not "speach." At the same time, perhaps you would let them know that "breech" is the back part of a gun barrel whereas "breach" is the breaking of a rule. So as not to stop there also advise the world that a "leech" is commonly known as a blood sucker whereas a "leach" facilitates the draining from solid by the action of water passing through it. Incidentally, if you get a lot of complaining from the students as to the complexity in spelling differences when there is no difference in phonics perhaps you will be good enough to let them know who invented the language to begin with. Now, if we''re going to "teach" others about the English language one should have the ability to spell correctly in the process. With respect to pronunciation ( viz American films ) I would only say that the only time I have heard my wife incesssantly utter the expression "pardon me", in order to comprehend what someone is trying to say, is when she has been visiting jolly old England. 

[/quote]"Pronounciation""Incessantly"And your use of commas in the final sentence is a bit off.Oh I''m sorry, was I being a condescending old git? I think I was.

holy schmoly, Jas is trying to get my guinea pigs banned! what a complete Marinner!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bobert"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was a typing error which is more than can be said for your "z''!

I lived in Evanston (Illinois) for a couple of years and my boys went to school there. The teacher thought it a "hoot" that they drew castles in their drawing lesson whereas the other chilren drew rocket ships. We are so far behind here in England of course. Our polititions have only just caught up with corruption for example but to be honest I see nothing wrong with a good old German/Saxon swear word. Always had a laugh that the exit road on a German autobahn (motorway/freeway) is "aus fart". Jollies (by the way) are something we get in bed.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Bobert"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

"Pronounciation"
"Incessantly"
And your use of commas in the final sentence is a bit off.

Oh I''m sorry, was I being a condescending old git? I think I was.
[/quote]

Even worse, an incorrect one too Wundaboy. That''s assuming that you are generous enough to allow that the extra s in incessantly was a typo.