Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

FAN'S EYE: It’s just the start because we require major surgery

Agree with quite a lot of this but certainly not the suggestion that we still need the "branding" that Delia''s name brings to the club.  Why??  

The Norwich City "brand" was just fine before D&M took over - it needs bringing up to date a bit that''s all.  "Delia''s Norwich" on the other hand has become a laughing stock. 

[quote user="canary cherub "]

Agree with quite a lot of this but certainly not the suggestion that we still need the "branding" that Delia''s name brings to the club.  Why??  

The Norwich City "brand" was just fine before D&M took over - it needs bringing up to date a bit that''s all.  "Delia''s Norwich" on the other hand has become a laughing stock. 

[/quote]

I totally disagree.

Mustachio,You might disagree, yet totally fail to support your position. Therefore we''ll treat it with the contempt it deserves, and pretend you didn''t respond at all.Norwich needs to recover it''s own identity, and emerge as a stable, modern, professionally run, solvent football club for the 21st Century. We need to emerge from the shadow of Delia Smith. We are more than "lets be avin you". We are more than "little norwich" on a big adventure. We are more than the only football club selling Delia Smith''s food!We are a proud club with proud traditions, and - with much work and rebuilding - one day we will return pride to the club and to the area, totally independent of a celebrity chef''s third tier waning "star power".Understand this: Delia is but a footnote in the story of NCFC - and hopefully soon to pass.

The most sensible article I have read for some time. People have to realise that unless someone with money comes in Delia is there for the long haul albeit in a Presidential type role as whether you like it or not brand Delia is inextricably linked with NCFC.

[quote user="Felixfan"]

The most sensible article I have read for some time. People have to realise that unless someone with money comes in Delia is there for the long haul albeit in a Presidential type role as whether you like it or not brand Delia is inextricably linked with NCFC.

[/quote]

Posts like this really worry me.  We seem to have a whole generation of fans for whom Norwich City is Delia Smith, and they can''t imagine how the club can exist let alone prosper without her.  They''ve never known the real Norwich City.

Fernando is spot on, re-establishing our own image and identity is a key element to our future success.  It''s not just about new money, new board, new players and new manager.

An observation here from an exile in NW England.I''m the solitary City fan in our office of some 250-300 people, most are either Liverpool/Everton/Man U/Man City fans with a smattering of Wigan & Blackburn fans thrown in.EVERY single one of them has commented on how they can''t believe that City have been relegated & how they always remember the team for the lovely football that they played and all of them ask the question "what on earth has gone wrong?"EVERY single one of them also takes the mick as much as possible out of Delia - that chardonnay related incident is never forgotten and the link with her is seen as something of a joke.So whilst we''re seen as a "good" club, we''re also seen as something of a bit of a laughing stock due to Delia''s influence.If that''s the general perception of non-City supporting fans a long, long way from Norfolk - fans who do know their football, then surely it''s indicative of the general perception of City out there in the big, bad world.   Time for a change?  Definitely!

Plastic, we can only each go on our own anecdotal experience but i travel quite alot and i can honestly say that in conversations with other supporters the "D" word will come up within two minutes (not by me....), usually closely followed by "i bet the pies are good" and "didn`t she tell you all off on the pitch once?".

What is it with this weird mentality of desperately clinging to the "Delia brand"?  As bigfeller so succinctly put it, we are a club which actually patronises itself and this very strange idea that the club would be adrift and in peril (like we`re not at the moment....?) without our mother figure to cling to is a big part of this.

This club will remain as poor little old Norwich until that woman is

removed.  While

Delia blames the money that doesn’t come City’s way, the likes of

Burnley, Preston, Cardiff, Swansea, Bristol City, Doncaster, Blackpool,

Nottingham Forest, Barnsley and Plymouth get on with life and manage

far easier than City. More successfully, as well.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="Felixfan"]

[/quote]

Posts like this really worry me.  We seem to have a whole generation of fans for whom Norwich City is Delia Smith, and they can''t imagine how the club can exist let alone prosper without her.  They''ve never known the real Norwich City.

Fernando is spot on, re-establishing our own image and identity is a key element to our future success.  It''s not just about new money, new board, new players and new manager.

[/quote] Identity Shidentity.  Do Fulham fans car that their identity is inextricably linked to Mohammed Al Fayed?  I don''t care if we are Delia''s Club or Peter Cullum''s Club or Joe Blogg''s Club or Postman bloody Pat''s Club.What matters for the future is getting success back on the pitch.  All else is a distraction.And yes Delia does come up early in conversations sometimes, just a Madjesky comes up early in conversations with Reading fans or Randy Lerner/Doug Ellis comes/came up when talking to Villa fans.  In fact as early as any high profile owner comes up in conversation with a football fan - as soon as there are no higher profile football stories to talk about.  The problem is that we don''t have any of those.  I find she normally comes up second after Darren Huckerby in that part of the world (Manchester) anyway.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="Felixfan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Identity Shidentity.  Do Fulham fans car that their identity is inextricably linked to Mohammed Al Fayed?  I don''t care if we are Delia''s Club or Peter Cullum''s Club or Joe Blogg''s Club or Postman bloody Pat''s Club.

What matters for the future is getting success back on the pitch.  All else is a distraction.

And yes Delia does come up early in conversations sometimes, just a Madjesky comes up early in conversations with Reading fans or Randy Lerner/Doug Ellis comes/came up when talking to Villa fans.  In fact as early as any high profile owner comes up in conversation with a football fan - as soon as there are no higher profile football stories to talk about.  The problem is that we don''t have any of those.  I find she normally comes up second after Darren Huckerby in that part of the world (Manchester) anyway.
[/quote]

There''s a big difference.  Fulham, Reading and Villa fans wouldn''t dream of singing "Al Fayed''s Barmy Army" (or Madjeski''s or Lerner''s) and nor would fans of any other club.  Personal identification with the owner would never override their identification with the club.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="7rew"][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="Felixfan"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Identity Shidentity.  Do Fulham fans car that their identity is inextricably linked to Mohammed Al Fayed?  I don''t care if we are Delia''s Club or Peter Cullum''s Club or Joe Blogg''s Club or Postman bloody Pat''s Club.What matters for the future is getting success back on the pitch.  All else is a distraction.And yes Delia does come up early in conversations sometimes, just a Madjesky comes up early in conversations with Reading fans or Randy Lerner/Doug Ellis comes/came up when talking to Villa fans.  In fact as early as any high profile owner comes up in conversation with a football fan - as soon as there are no higher profile football stories to talk about.  The problem is that we don''t have any of those.  I find she normally comes up second after Darren Huckerby in that part of the world (Manchester) anyway.[/quote]

There''s a big difference.  Fulham, Reading and Villa fans wouldn''t dream of singing "Al Fayed''s Barmy Army" (or Madjeski''s or Lerner''s) and nor would fans of any other club.  Personal identification with the owner would never override their identification with the club.

[/quote]What about the these chants that can be quickly googled:Reading -John Madjesky''s Magic Hat.and from fulham -

E     I     E    

I     O

Up the Premier League we go,

When we get to Europe,

This is what we sing.

We Are Fulham We Are Fulham,

Al Fayed is our king!

Al Fayed whooaaa,Al Fayed Whooaaa,

he wants to be a Brit,

And QPR are sh*t,

Al Fayed whoooaa.

I agree and disagree with some of the things said here, i agree we need to get away from this delias little old norwich city, and norwich is delia, but delias canary catering does bring in a bit of income to the club,

wat we need to be is norwich city, plain as, our own unique identity but there is nothing wrong with having delias canary catering still in there for money making, the restaurant does extremely well and thats down to delias name being on it so keep that seperate but still allow money to be amde from delias canaray catering but please for gods sake we need to have NORWICH CITY FC as exactly that a Football Club

I agree in the approach of pushing the owners into the background, they have clearly failed, but their money is in the club - until a new sugar Dad or Mum comes along we are stuck with them - the appointment of an autonomous executive team where the smiths have no power is the only way - it was Delia''s way of wanting to dictate the decisions and direction of the club that ultimately drove the Turners out............Mumby and Doncaster were just her rent boys.