Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

shacks ..

surely if we have just sold marshall for 400k at least we could fund the purchase of shacks .

im fairly confident he would want to come back  would be a great addition in the first division .

would he drop down a division , ? he was one of the most commited players we had , and he come back atfer the poor treatment of roeder .

Shacks would be a great signing, I''m pleased that he proved the critics wrong when he came back.

i think if we had him all season we may have gained a few more points .

gunn was right to bring him back .

poor error selling him to start with .

Was a poor error indeed, however it did seem like he didn''t get on with Roeder and it was affecting his game at the time... If only we had got rid of Roeder then instead...

Bringing back Shackell was entirely right and had his partnership with Doherty been re-established sooner it might have saved us. Gunn deserves credit for that. Probably too expensive even if he would consider a season in Div1 - but at least Gunn will know the importance of finding the right replacement.

I can''t agree with Shacks coming back. He started well, very committed etc but lost his man just like old times in the last few games. As soon as he got settled again I fear we would see the same old faults return. I just don''t think he is mobile enough and he loses concentration. If I was an opposition manager I would target him in every game. Assuming the Doc and/or Stefanovic stays, we need someone young and quick to play alongside them - Spillane for me, with Smith at right back.

[quote user="singing canary"]

surely if we have just sold marshall for 400k at least we could fund the purchase of shacks .

im fairly confident he would want to come back  would be a great addition in the first division .

would he drop down a division , ? he was one of the most commited players we had , and he come back atfer the poor treatment of roeder .

[/quote]

won''t have much more than that to spend in the transfer window, can''t see it myself

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Shacks would be a great signing, I''m pleased that he proved the critics wrong when he came back.[/quote]

To be honest Mr B...the people he proved wrong were idiots who don''t understand the game. Shacks is a good player, certainly one of the best central defenders ever to come out of the youth system.

Play him at left back however....

[quote user="sgncfc"]I can''t agree with Shacks coming back. He started well, very committed etc but lost his man just like old times in the last few games. As soon as he got settled again I fear we would see the same old faults return. I just don''t think he is mobile enough and he loses concentration. If I was an opposition manager I would target him in every game. Assuming the Doc and/or Stefanovic stays, we need someone young and quick to play alongside them - Spillane for me, with Smith at right back.[/quote]

To be fair, when he lost his man for Reading''s second he was clearly carrying the injury that he was subbed for straightaway.  IMO he was excellent in the main on his return, the number of tackles and last ditch blocks he made surely saved any number of goals.

I''d certainly be happy enough if we signed him, we''d be pretty well set at c/b for once, with all our own players, in Stefanovic, Doc, Shacks and Spillane (tho imo Spillane can be r/b)....assuming the former two remain our players.