Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

why I am worried....

I, like many, have never known a lower point for the football team. Funnily enough the relegation itself is not the biggest problem IMO

What worries me is the reaction to the relegation. Here are the top 6 things that lead me to fear ANOTHER relegation scrap could be on:

1) Just look at the board...depsite relegation looming for most of the season they clearly have no game plan at all. It seems that the ''cross your fingers and hope for the best'' approach is still in effect. I see no change at all that suggests they have learnt from mistakes. Selling Marshall to pay off Doomy is just ludicrous....not cos I am that sad to see either go but becuase it is another solid player out and nothing in return.

2) We are not hitting the floor running. Instead the manager takes weeks to sort, the board cry out for investment and our best players run. It will make me REALLY angry but I can see another summer of ploding inactivity - with a few also ran cheepies signed up....specifically players wanted by nobody else. We will also be short of two or three clear positions and roll out that ''loan market still open'' bollox

3) We are down to the very barest of bones as regards players. I cannot see anyone wanting to join at the moment...save many who are not good enough. To build even a good L1 side from the scraps that remain (when you factor in the exodus of the glory hunters) is going to require major funding. And I think we all know that funding is not there which is why Delia bleats about unfairness to the media. Seriously we need a lot of new blood

4) The actions of the hierarchy suggest they are cutting their cloth to size...which means bedding into L1...where is the ambition? they should get a big name in B4 offloading those going. Else it sends out the wrong message to remaining players and incoming targets....just looks like rats deserting ship

5) Gunn clearly does not have ability to inspire players...surely a good manager to make players want to stay.-dont get me wrong he could grow into the job...but at this moment we need a proven hand IMO

6) Typical of our luck L1 is set to be its toughest ever- Leeds, Soton, Charlton are just three very tough opponents who all seem in much better shape than us

It is all so bleak...

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

I, like many, have never known a lower point for the football team. Funnily enough the relegation itself is not the biggest problem IMO

What worries me is the reaction to the relegation. Here are the top 6 things that lead me to fear ANOTHER relegation scrap could be on:

1) Just look at the board...depsite relegation looming for most of the season they clearly have no game plan at all. It seems that the ''cross your fingers and hope for the best'' approach is still in effect. I see no change at all that suggests they have learnt from mistakes. Selling Marshall to pay off Doomy is just ludicrous....not cos I am that sad to see either go but becuase it is another solid player out and nothing in return.

Certainly no evidence of having planned for going down. Not sure where you get the selling of Marshall to pay off Doomy - would he really be on more than 12 months notice?

2) We are not hitting the floor running. Instead the manager takes weeks to sort, the board cry out for investment and our best players run. It will make me REALLY angry but I can see another summer of ploding inactivity - with a few also ran cheepies signed up....specifically players wanted by nobody else. We will also be short of two or three clear positions and roll out that ''loan market still open'' bollox

I assume most CCC, Laegue 1 & 2 are now on their hols. The key is to get rid of all who are not going to be here asap to avoid them leaving us in the lurch come August. Not doing a bad job so far with Fozzy, Eagle, Croft & Marshall on the road.

3) We are down to the very barest of bones as regards players. I cannot see anyone wanting to join at the moment...save many who are not good enough. To build even a good L1 side from the scraps that remain (when you factor in the exodus of the glory hunters) is going to require major funding. And I think we all know that funding is not there which is why Delia bleats about unfairness to the media. Seriously we need a lot of new blood

On the On the nail[:@]

4) The actions of the hierarchy suggest they are cutting their cloth to size...which means bedding into L1...where is the ambition? they should get a big name in B4 offloading those going. Else it sends out the wrong message to remaining players and incoming targets....just looks like rats deserting ship

.......and again[:@]

5) Gunn clearly does not have ability to inspire players...surely a good manager to make players want to stay.-dont get me wrong he could grow into the job...but at this moment we need a proven hand IMO

Read your points 1-4 and think what player would want to stay? Give the guy a break.

6) Typical of our luck L1 is set to be its toughest ever- Leeds, Soton, Charlton are just three very tough opponents who all seem in much better shape than us

Soton are still in administration and have -10 points. Leeds have failed to go up for the third time running. Charlton - fair dos but they closer to their parachute payments

It is all so bleak...yes

[/quote]

I''m moreso concerned that the board simply refuse to learn from their mistakes. In hindsight, appointing Gunn until the end of the season was a mistake, no matter how anyone looks at it. Yes, we were rapidly sliding, but we were outside the bottom 3, with a squad which i believe was fairly capable of avoiding relegation, maybe with a couple more loans coming in.Yet, despite a relegation which has put pressure on the board, to an extent where Doncaster and Munby leave (although Munby, actually hasn''t left [^o)]), they still seem to think the cheaper option is the best one to take.Fair enough, i understand their claims about continuity, but Gunn was only in charge for 19 games, and had a contract until the end of the season. Simply, as much as i like Bryan Gunn (coming from someone who isn''t old enough to remember most of his time as a keeper all that well), he isn''t the answer when we''re in a crisis such as this. Would there have ever been a right time for Gunn to take charge? I''m not sure, but right now is certainly not the  right time.Saying that, i can''t knock the bloke for applying for the job. But this brings me onto my first point, the board yet again have made a mistake in appointing him. It''s almost as if the board are in denial at the moment regarding the situation. I almost feel sorry for Delia, she is a fan, and she only wants whats best. The joint decision on making Gunn manager, with a bit of luck, might end up an okay appointment. But in reality, it''s a risk we can''t afford to take. We had a chance to take a risk, and get in some extra players for the Premiership season. The time to take a chance is not when your clubs down in the third tier for the first time in 50 years or whatever.

1) tafkaV, we didn''t sell Marshall to pay off Doncaster. Yes, his departure probably requires some outflow of cash and Marshall''s sale probably results in some inflow but that doesn''t link one to the other just because they happened close together. Don''t get suckered by every conspiracy theory going. Marshall left because he wanted to keep his Scotland place and we wanted to save his wages. Do you really think he would have stayed next season if Doncaster was still with us?2) How do you know? Are you able to see into the future? In which case, buy a winning lottery ticket and give the money to the club. Problem solved! Wait till it happens, if it does.3) Agreed, although fortunately the young players look promising. Again, let''s see what happens in the next coupleof months.4) Of course we''re cutting our cloth to size - the alternative is administation. But we know other clubs can prosper on less income than we have, we ought to be able to do it too.5) I''m not going to argue about Gunn''s motivational ability, I''m concerned about it too. But I don''t think players leaving is an indicator of that, just of the motivational power of money and the need of the club to save it.6) At least Southampton have been docked ten points!The darkest hour is just before storm. On the Ball City!(wanders off, clapping and smiling....)