Sign in to follow this  
UEAstudent

Ambition

Colchester fan here - first post - I am fairly pro Norwich but I don''t understand some of your lot whinging about City''s lack of ambition.

What "lack of ambition" has City shown?

You have a first rate ground and training ground.

You have spent more money than you have comming in chasing the premier leauge dream and paid out high wages.  Delia, love her our loath her, has put her hand in her pocket year after year to fund this.

You will never hang on to your best players when the bigger Premier club comes knocking.

If Gunn came on the radio and said your aim was to be in the Premier Leauge within 2 seasons would that please you lot as it shows he is ambitious - or would you think he was unrealistic and raising expectation too high?

[quote user="UEAstudent"]

Colchester fan here - first post - I am fairly pro Norwich but I don''t understand some of your lot whinging about City''s lack of ambition.

What "lack of ambition" has City shown?

You have a first rate ground and training ground.

You have spent more money than you have comming in chasing the premier leauge dream and paid out high wages.  Delia, love her our loath her, has put her hand in her pocket year after year to fund this.

You will never hang on to your best players when the bigger Premier club comes knocking.

If Gunn came on the radio and said your aim was to be in the Premier Leauge within 2 seasons would that please you lot as it shows he is ambitious - or would you think he was unrealistic and raising expectation too high?

[/quote]

Stick to Colchester .......... you havent got a clue about NORWICH!

sheffield wednesday , cardiff , crystal palace , are all championship teams who are intersted in buying or we have sold too .

not premiership . we have no ambition , yet you right we do have a nice ground and trainning facilities .

"Ambition" is used on here as code for cash. If we (i.e. the board) invested more money, that would be showing ambition.The fact that we spent £8.5 million on players wages last season when we could only afford half that is apparently not a sign of ambition, not sure why.

[quote user="singing canary"]

sheffield wednesday , cardiff , crystal palace , are all championship teams who are intersted in buying or we have sold too .

not premiership . we have no ambition , yet you right we do have a nice ground and trainning facilities .

[/quote]

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhh singing canary so we have........guess we must have made it!! lol

[quote user="Nuff Said"]"Ambition" is used on here as code for cash. If we (i.e. the board) invested more money, that would be showing ambition.

The fact that we spent £8.5 million on players wages last season when we could only afford half that is apparently not a sign of ambition, not sure why.
[/quote]

NUff said is spot on in my view.  Ambition is used by fans and players alike but money is all they really mean.

Yes - you are now having to sell players to other clubs which you may consider below you in the football world but that is only because the "ambition" show in the past didn''t pay off and you have to cut your cloth accordingly.

I think you can critisise the decisions made by your board over the years (and with the benefit of hinsight that is an easy task) but I don''t think you should confuse it with lack of ambition.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]"Ambition" is used on here as code for cash. If we (i.e. the board) invested more money, that would be showing ambition.

The fact that we spent £8.5 million on players wages last season when we could only afford half that is apparently not a sign of ambition, not sure why.
[/quote]

NUff said is spot on in my view.  Ambition is used by fans and players alike but money is all they really mean.

Yes - you are now having to sell players to other clubs which you may consider below you in the football world but that is only because the "ambition" show in the past didn''t pay off and you have to cut your cloth accordingly.

I think you can critisise the decisions made by your board over the years (and with the benefit of hinsight that is an easy task) but I don''t think you should confuse it with lack of ambition.

[/quote]

Blind ambition with prudence!

Look at the league positions we''ve finished in for the past 4 to 5 years. Ambition?Appointing untried or awful and spiteful managers in Peter Grant, Glenn Roeder, and Bryan Gunn. Ambition?Sold the likes of Dean Ashton, Robert Earnshaw, Robert Green, Jason Shackell, Youseff Safri, Dickson Etuhu, David Marshall, David Bell and Damien Francis. Ambition?Players are then coming in in the mould of Jamie Cureton, Jon Otsemobor, Stuart Nelson, Simon Lappin, and Carl Cort. Ambition?Then reappointing Gunn, despite failiure on a daunting scale, in getting the club relegated to the third tier for the first time in 50 years, despite having a host of the players in that squad appointed under his authority, and bringing a team down below the relegation line for the first time in it''s season with 19 games to of done otherwise, and losing 5 out of 6 must win games, and going down 3-0 in half an hour against the bottom side on the final day (still in with a chance of staying up providing a win is achieved). Ambition?Ambition, what ambition? And the only reason the wages are so high is because we can accomodate that with are ever so loyal fan base attending games (of which the club does not deserve, and hasn''t deserved since 2004).And no i don''t expect Premier League football in 2 years, or 3, or 4, or 5! I just want to finish at least a position higher in the league than we did in the previous season for once. That would be ambition.

[quote user="John"]Look at the league positions we''ve finished in for the past 4 to 5 years. Ambition?

Appointing untried or awful and spiteful managers in Peter Grant, Glenn Roeder, and Bryan Gunn. Ambition?

Sold the likes of Dean Ashton, Robert Earnshaw, Robert Green, Jason Shackell, Youseff Safri, Dickson Etuhu, David Marshall, David Bell and Damien Francis. Ambition?

Players are then coming in in the mould of Jamie Cureton, Jon Otsemobor, Stuart Nelson, Simon Lappin, and Carl Cort. Ambition?

Then reappointing Gunn, despite failiure on a daunting scale, in getting the club relegated to the third tier for the first time in 50 years, despite having a host of the players in that squad appointed under his authority, and bringing a team down below the relegation line for the first time in it''s season with 19 games to of done otherwise, and losing 5 out of 6 must win games, and going down 3-0 in half an hour against the bottom side on the final day (still in with a chance of staying up providing a win is achieved). Ambition?

Ambition, what ambition?

And the only reason the wages are so high is because we can accomodate that with are ever so loyal fan base attending games (of which the club does not deserve, and hasn''t deserved since 2004).

And no i don''t expect Premier League football in 2 years, or 3, or 4, or 5! I just want to finish at least a position higher in the league than we did in the previous season for once. That would be ambition.
[/quote]

Well said

ambition is not to sell or get rid of your best players and bring in a load of unproven loan players .

ambition in not to get rid of your star player who helped you gain promotion .

ambition is not to bring in a unproven manager who has never been tested at championship level or lower come to that .(grant)

ambition is to identify what is needed in your team to improve it , ie roeder we need a big man up front , and not do it .(roeder)

ambition is not to bring in a manger who simply has no people skills and proven to be a failure at other clubs .

ambition is not to sell your up and comming goal keeper for peanuts then after relegation your main keeper is also sold for peanuts .

ambition is not to sell your best defender to a rival and later in the season want to bring him back on loan !!!

I think you also have to take the 8.5 million in wages and the claim we could only afford half of that which a huge lump of rock salt.We spent almost nothing on transfer fees last season, so although short term loanee wages were high, that was covered by our lack of permanent investment, and the fact the board knew that cost would be slashed once the loanee''s went back.Our base wage bill, those players we actually own is nowhere near 8.5 million a year.  Its our lack of investment in our own team that is going to cost us next season, NOT a temporary wage bill rise.Our wage bill last season did not show ambition, it was firefighting on a grand scale.

[quote user="ACE"]I think you also have to take the 8.5 million in wages and the claim we could only afford half of that which a huge lump of rock salt.We spent almost nothing on transfer fees last season, so although short term loanee wages were high, that was covered by our lack of permanent investment, and the fact the board knew that cost would be slashed once the loanee''s went back.Our base wage bill, those players we actually own is nowhere near 8.5 million a year.  Its our lack of investment in our own team that is going to cost us next season, NOT a temporary wage bill rise.Our wage bill last season did not show ambition, it was firefighting on a grand scale.[/quote].... Absolutely true, and put so well [Y]

ambition is not to sell or get rid of your best players and bring in a load of unproven loan players .

ambition in not to get rid of your star player who helped you gain promotion .

ambition is not to bring in a unproven manager who has never been tested at championship level or lower come to that .(grant)

ambition is to identify what is needed in your team to improve it , ie roeder we need a big man up front , and not do it .(roeder)

ambition is not to bring in a manger who simply has no people skills and proven to be a failure at other clubs .

ambition is not to sell your up and comming goal keeper for peanuts then after relegation your main keeper is also sold for peanuts .

ambition is not to sell your best defender to a rival and later in the season want to bring him back on loan !!!

Your on a roll..well said

[/quote]

Ambition would have been reinvesting parachute payments and TV money into the playing squad the moment we were relegated from the Premiership, in order to push back in.Instead the money was wasted and squandered by 3 successively terrible managerial appointments and a board that fails to prioritise the footballing side of the club.

You all list a load of mistakes but you seem to be confusing the issue.

All clubs want to do better - does that make us all ambitious?

If some of you lot were running the club you would have gone bust several time over since the majority of you think ambition is spending more money (either by meeting huge wage demands to keep players or signing new ones)

i think giving you lot about 700-800k for cureton shows lack of ambition , considering we sold him for alot less i think ,

i think ambition is to search spot and bring in young hungry talent and move forward or sell and make a tidy profit .

you cant make money from loan players you have to give them back .

i think giving you lot about 700-800k for cureton shows lack of ambition , considering we sold him for alot less i think ,

i think ambition is to search spot and bring in young hungry talent and move forward or sell and make a tidy profit .

you cant make money from loan players you have to give them back .

[/quote]

Most definitions of ambition involveing working hard to acheive aims - I think what Sining Canary says here is more like it - brining in young hungry talent etc - trouble is it sometimes takes time and fans then get on managers backs if there is no instant success.

Most definitions of ambition involveing working hard to acheive aims - I think what Sining Canary says here is more like it - brining in young hungry talent etc - trouble is it sometimes takes time and fans then get on managers backs if there is no instant success.

[/quote]It took 7 years for fans to get on Worthingtons'' back...

but this is what we havent been doing ,surely bringing people in and not playing them sending them back , getting rid of the players who have done well , and players ie like joe lewis sold for way under value .

pure poor management noticed by many fans over the course of years , and not by the norwich board .

pure risk taking in appointment , surely stairing failure in the face the board should have paid for someone to come in with footballing knowledge , rather than having to pay out big severance pay for failures which were clear to see .

i am no manager , yet the appointment of roeder , and the realise of huckerby (the player who has been the heart of this team ) , and many other poor decisions along the way , no stability in the team , the players i bet hardly knew each other by first name , it was waiting to happen .

If some of you lot were running the club you would have gone bust several time over since the majority of you think ambition is spending more money (either by meeting huge wage demands to keep players or signing new ones)

[/quote]And your approach has led us to the lowest point in 50 years, finishing below the likes of Blackpool, while the East Anglian derby next season consists of Ipswich vs Peterborough.

A show of ambition would be to throw off the "little old Norwich" tag that Delia has given us. A club of our side should be in the championship, I''m not saying we should be challenging for promotion every year but I think it is reasonable to expect us to be a team like Coventry or Preston or Burnley who will most seasons finish comfortably midtable. There will be the occasional play-off push and the occasional flirt with relegation but for the most part will finish 12th or 13th. The board have constantly gone on about our lack of money yet the aforementioned teams can manage to build there own squads and compete in the Championship. People seem to have got us confused with teams like Leeds, Southampton, Charlton etc. whose problems have stemed from over spending in the pursuit of the Premier League dream, our problem is the opposite we didn''t spend enough when we were in there or the first season back down to give us a fighting chance of coming back up.

But the current board are close to "bust" as you put it, now.   And thats with absolutely nothing on the pitch to show for that defecit.ambition is making the right choices for the betterment of on pitch results, it really is that simple.  Grant, Roeder, the loan mania, the selling of players without replacing them year on year, that is not ambition.Simply building a half decent squad of solid players, such as clubs with less revenue are achieving as a matter of routine all around us, would demostrate more ambition than has been shown at NCFC.Now toddle of back to the SU bar.

[/quote]

You have like any other Club , "ambition".

What you lack, is financial backing to facilitate this ambition. And even then , having "money" is no guarentee of "success."

I think there has been a catalogue of errors by an "out of their depth" , owners . The first mistake of note was to sack Worthington and relplace him with a quick succession of weaker managers. Your Club''s decline almost mirrors this continual upheavel.

Your owners current choice of manager is one bourne out of desperation (and this is in no way meant as a slur on Gunn''s character, as he  is a thoroughly decent honest guy). But Smith''s decision to give him the job smacks of the "cheap option". But this could come back to bite her in the arse. You could have done with someonelike Ince tbh , who has experience (contacts?) at this level.But thecruical question is , could you have afforded him or someone like him . I doubt it - and that in itself is perhaps the biggest worry you have. Finacial backing, or lack of it!

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="UEAstudent"]

[/quote]And your approach has led us to the lowest point in 50 years, finishing below the likes of Blackpool, while the East Anglian derby next season consists of Ipswich vs Peterborough.[/quote]Get yourselves sorted out quick and get back in this damn championship league !! who the hell cares about Peterborough, just another game to us. I''m actually gonna miss you guys next season, cant beat the feeling of beating the canaries, and I''m not gloating I really do feel for you, it could so easily have been us, still could be one day.

The Board tried to avoid relegation from the Premiership on the cheap by not buying a Pemiership striker and relying on average Championship ones, is that ambition?

[/quote]

I totally agree with you. And to add, Roeder chose to sign expensive loan players from Premiership clubs plus Lita because he had ambition.