Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Norwich/Everton VS Liverpool/Charlton

I realize it''s easy to say the Norwich game was a game of two halves and leave it at that, but I think there''s more to it than that. Having just watched both matches ( admittedly with Canary tinted specs ) the Norwich game provided better entertainment value by far.

With respect to our game, I''ve read some points of view that said the first half was awful. I don''t agree. On the Everton goals I thought we should have closed Cahill down but I thought Bent took his chance very well. Once again, we did not capitalize on our opportunities in the first half but we created chances and put forth good effort, but without the purpose or belief we demonstrated after going two goals down.

Our main problem, in my opinion, is that despite all the rhetoric I hear in comments from the players, we appear to lack confidence in the opening period and are giving far more respect than we should. This may not only be due to the players. It may be Worthy''s strategy and guidance given before a game. How often did we see this during the first half of the game last year before Nigel started to "go for it".

In our coming home games, in particular, there needs to be an aggressive mindset there before the game even begins...I don''t care who the opposition is. We have now demonstrated on a number of occasions that we have the players and ability to play in this division and it''s time to throw caution to the wind and go for it.

If you are listening Worthy, it''s not game on, it''s "season on". Learn from last years experience and, if need be, let''s go down in a blaze of glory if necessary but not tiptoeing into a game to see what it feels like. Despite what it looks like, there is still hope for us this season if we just start to believe in ourselves from the first minute of every game. I am convinced it''s not a lack of effort by the players. We can all see that the squad has the determination.

Having watched the Liverpool game, I have to say Charlton looked totally bereft of ideas or purpose whatsoever compared to what we put forth in our game. I know we did not look too clever against Liverpool either but this has apparently been fairly typical for Charlton away from home this season. After the opening blitz by Liverpool failed to materialize in a goal there was an opportunity for Charlton to get into the match but there was no spark at all versus the good show at Carrow Road. 

In respect of our 1st half performance,if we are to rely on "the passing game" it was indeed awful!Helveg,a "seasoned "international would have been hard pressed to pass a donkey-cart on the Acle straight too many times too many passes turned into aimless kicks upfeild.Having said that Lord knows what Worthy said at1/2 time but the real Norwich came out for the 2nd half and were an entirely different proposition and I''m still bl***y gutted that we didn''t get at least a share of the points

You talk a lot of sence YC.  Well said.  I think if we started our games like we started the second half today it would make a lot of difference.  It would send out a message to our oppositon.  I think after 10 minutes today, Everton knew that we were there for the taking.  It was only in the second half when they looked a bit worried and under pressure. 

Look at Palace today.  2-0 up at half time and go on to win comfortably.  If we did this, got an early goal, got a bit of luck it could make all the difference.  Confidence breeds confidence and it showed in the second half.

Must agree with you there Yankee.  On too many occasions it looks like in the first half as if we do not deserve to be on the same pitch as other teams and even against Portsmouth at home we did not come alive until the second half when we hammered  them.  Two points that I would just like to throw into the frame are:

Neil Adams stated quite scarily yesterday that in 9 games time we will be half way through the season.  Everybody keeps talking about the win will come soon however we have been saying this for the last four or five games.  My worry is that by the time the first win does come along we could be too far adrift for it to help us. Away to Man City (not one of our luckiest grounds) in the next game I am afraid a point at most.

Somebody stated on the Radio Norfolk phone in yesterday that give Helveg time and he will come good.  Again how much time can we afford him before we are already relegated.  Can we afford the luxury at the minute of playing a player who is quite clearly struggling to adapt to our game or on the other hand is just playing so badly that if it was Svennson we would be calling for him to be dropped. 

Come on City - we have a far better team than Palace and they now seem to be getting it together (mind you all they played was West Brom) - there again does anyone remember the season when Forest were too good to go down - and they have been down ever since.

Hate to be so negative but as the games tick away and we still dont have many wins before we know it it will be christmas and Wilnis could well be right in his prediction.

Yes totally agree with your comments Yankee.

I watched the game yesterday on TV and think that any neutral watching would have been proud to support Norwich.

From the respect of results this season it will be tough but all the games I have seen this season on TV all the players are 100% committed. That win will come.

Interesting that Palace lost 3-1 to Everton at home, now we have lost 3-2.

Lets face it we could support West Brom, no that would be a reason to be miserable.

West Brom have constant bad press, Chairman versus Manager, long ball game plan etc.

On the TV our fans always sound brilliant, my first game at Carrow Road will be against Bolton (as member  got 3 tickets this season).

So on the ball city and never let our pride in the Canaries stop.

Nick

Lots of good points from everyone here. It was good to see the boys back on telly again after a few weeks without.  Roy Waller on the internet is good but being able to watch the game is great.  Let''s stay up so we don''t go back to being able to see 2 games a season, Reading & Ipswich...

Obviously, initially gutting.  But later there were a lot of positives for me, I mean, what a great second half! I know, I know, you have to play for 90 minutes but doesn''t it give anyone a bit of heart to see how they played in the second half yesterday? 

If that becomes the norm, which I think it will, then wins are not far away.  Navman, you are right that there are 9 games to the mid-way point.  That''s 9 (nine) games. Potentially 27 points, (although this is probably unlikely), and that''s only halfway. Bring it on, I say.  We play like that second half against Man City and we''ll beat ''em. 

YC, you are spot on, we''ve seen they can play now.  They only have to have the guts to do it every game...

OTBC!

Yankee Canary- spot on!  I said, several weeks ago now, that if we are to go down I would rather see us do it really going for it, and with some style, rather than doing it with a whimper and a faint ''cheerio''.  I also asked the question then about how long it might be before we see the more attacking line up that made us so dangerous towards the back end of last season.  Seems I might have my answer, but will Worthy do it again at a stadium somewhere near us real soon?  Hope so!