Sign in to follow this  
thebigfeller

Fans' rep on the board

Right - having had a bit of time to reflect on this idea, I have to admit I don''t like it. Think about it for a moment: it''d just be a sop. The board could say it''d proved they were "listening", but whenever anything sensitive or confidential was discussed, the rep would either have to leave the room or be bound by confidence, meaning (s)he couldn''t report back to us. They''d have no actual power in terms of majority shareholding; and if things at the club continued to decline, would become an Aunt Sally figure amongst their fellow supporters, to be shot at from all sides. Some would accuse them of being motivated by ego or celebrity; others would suggest they were too cosy with the other board members.

Scenario for you. The club sells a player against the fans wishes. What could a fans'' rep do to prevent this? Yet this wouldn''t stop the fans from turning on the rep, and suggesting they should resign unless they were properly able to "represent our views". It won''t work, folks; just as the fans owning a club doesn''t work above a certain financial level either.

What I think we should be pressing for instead is for the rebate to be demanded back by as many fans as possible; for fans to cancel their STs; and for as many as possible not to renew next summer if the decline continues and there''s no obvious change in strategy by those in charge. But I don''t think the fans'' rep idea will get us anywhere to be honest.

I think we should be looking for changes on the board. I said elsewhere that maybe a representative of the Associate Directors and maybe a  fan. But it would take someone crazy to want it. The points you make are good bigfeller. Who in their right mind would want to set themselves up to be the fall guy. And how do you represesent the fans whose views vary so much?

Agree bigfeller. I don''t think its a good idea. Following their comments today the trust sounds far too close to the board as it is and don''t seemed to be prepared to ask the important questions. It would be best for fans to keep their rebate, gods knows they''ve earnt it for the years of underachievement.

[quote user="thebigfeller"]

Right - having had a bit of time to reflect on this idea, I have to admit I don''t like it. Think about it for a moment: it''d just be a sop. The board could say it''d proved they were "listening", but whenever anything sensitive or confidential was discussed, the rep would either have to leave the room or be bound by confidence, meaning (s)he couldn''t report back to us. They''d have no actual power in terms of majority shareholding; and if things at the club continued to decline, would become an Aunt Sally figure amongst their fellow supporters, to be shot at from all sides. Some would accuse them of being motivated by ego or celebrity; others would suggest they were too cosy with the other board members.

Scenario for you. The club sells a player against the fans wishes. What could a fans'' rep do to prevent this? Yet this wouldn''t stop the fans from turning on the rep, and suggesting they should resign unless they were properly able to "represent our views". It won''t work, folks; just as the fans owning a club doesn''t work above a certain financial level either.

What I think we should be pressing for instead is for the rebate to be demanded back by as many fans as possible; for fans to cancel their STs; and for as many as possible not to renew next summer if the decline continues and there''s no obvious change in strategy by those in charge. But I don''t think the fans'' rep idea will get us anywhere to be honest.

[/quote]

Just another PR exercise to appease the "fans"......

She really does take the people of Norfolk and it''s surrounding area for mugs and I''m unable work out why she can''t take on board the fact that she is now widely reviled and it''s time to go.

A bizarre seige mentality has taken control  of her mentality which shows arrogance beyond belief. 

Spot on, firstly the board would probably dictate the type of fan someone from the milder end of the SCG for example, and then those meetings together, travelling to away games together, they''ld end up far too close...and in honestly most fans know as much about running a football club as the current board...I''d much rather we had experienced football people on the board.

[quote user="Cluck is God"][quote user="thebigfeller"]

[/quote]

Just another PR exercise to appease the "fans"......

She really does take the people of Norfolk and it''s surrounding area for mugs and I''m unable work out why she can''t take on board the fact that she is now widely reviled and it''s time to go.

A bizarre seige mentality has taken control  of her mentality which shows arrogance beyond belief. 

[/quote]

Spot on, arrogance that is fast becoming ignorance.

Sadly though there are still a hardcore of fans who she likes to hide behind and who for some reason that I can''t explain still fall to their knees at the very sight of her.

You are being unfair on the Trust who although have to abide by certain rules are certainly not "close" to the Board.

At their AGM Delia challenged the idea and said that they couldn''t have someone they could not work with, and clearly you couldn''t have a Smudger on there! BUT there is no reason why they can''t have someone who respects the confidence but still challenges their views.  OK in a vote the majority shareholders would still hold sway but it is a useful safety valve.

Personally I like the idea of two elected members - one as a fan/businessman and the other as an elected football person (player/manager/physio/ref even).

You would need a strict nomination and qualification process culminating in a vote on people with their own printed profile/manifestos.

Surely this has to have advantages for the Club as well as those of us on the outside who want change.

PS for Nutty you could vote for Nigel Worthington if he stood  :o) 

But the smiths still hold a casting vote, so I fear a fan on the board will just be a token - nothing more.