Sign in to follow this  
gsr600

gunn could well become a great league one manager

now i know im gonna get lstaed but i think gunn could succeed as a league one manager, i mean look at ince was a great league one manager but failed in the higher division, mark robbins fantastic leaue one manager, but who knows if he will succeed in the higher division, plenty of managers are a success in a certain division but dont make the grade in a higher division,

give him a chance if he gets us up then once were back in the championship find a manager that is a decent chamionship manager,

plus does anyone think that he was probably the only applicant for the job, afterall why would anyone want to manager us

i agree, what manager can make a shit team play well in 19 games, football doesnt work like that. he deserves time, ie a full season at the very least

i remember a certain manager nearly fired from a club who went on to be one of the greatest managers of all time, every manager has to start somewhere and they dont get it right sometimes, managerial skills come with experience,

nomnomnomnnomnomThat''s the sound of UEA Canary and Royal Anglian licking Gunn''s arse crack[IMG]http://aprillanedesigns.com/sitebuilder/images/brown_square-292x292.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Royal Anglian all the way"]now i know im gonna get lstaed but i think gunn could succeed as a league one manager, i mean look at ince was a great league one manager but failed in the higher division, mark robbins fantastic leaue one manager, but who knows if he will succeed in the higher division, plenty of managers are a success in a certain division but dont make the grade in a higher division, give him a chance if he gets us up then once were back in the championship find a manager that is a decent chamionship manager, plus does anyone think that he was probably the only applicant for the job, afterall why would anyone want to manager us[/quote]

I think it''s patronising to League One to be so confident that a mere passionate fan is good enough to succeed as a manager at that level. League One is far far tougher than many are imagining.

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]

[quote user="Royal Anglian all the way"]now i know im gonna get lstaed but i think gunn could succeed as a league one manager, i mean look at ince was a great league one manager but failed in the higher division, mark robbins fantastic leaue one manager, but who knows if he will succeed in the higher division, plenty of managers are a success in a certain division but dont make the grade in a higher division, give him a chance if he gets us up then once were back in the championship find a manager that is a decent chamionship manager, plus does anyone think that he was probably the only applicant for the job, afterall why would anyone want to manager us[/quote]

I think it''s patronising to League One to be so confident that a mere passionate fan is good enough to succeed as a manager at that level. League One is far far tougher than many are imagining.

[/quote]

is it, so did mark robbins and paul ince have the right to succeed yet a different unexpereinced manager not have the right, league one is a very tough division dont get me wrong but it is a different style of football to the championship hence why some managers succeed and others dont,

[quote user="Royal Anglian all the way"]i remember a certain manager nearly fired from a club who went on to be one of the greatest managers of all time, every manager has to start somewhere and they dont get it right sometimes, managerial skills come with experience,[/quote]

Yeah we should have had the man who saved him.

[quote user="UEA Canary"]i agree, what manager can make a shit team play well in 19 games, football doesnt work like that. he deserves time, ie a full season at the very least[/quote]

How was it Roeder took over a team which wasn''t his own and got us out of the bottom two when on 8 points whereas Gunn took us into the bottom 3 when we weren''t in trouble. Both took over someone else''s team but suddenly it was Gunns fault!! He is clueless as a manager and it will be shown in team performances next season and I can''t wait!! How was it he couldn''t inspire a team to even go out and motivate a team to put in a shift when we had one of our most important games in years!! This club has small time mentality and it comes down to the bloody cook.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Can we pick a bog cleaner for manager? How about nutty nigel?

[/quote]

Well Said!!!!

[quote user="UEA Canary"]i agree, what manager can make a shit team play well in 19 games, football doesnt work like that. he deserves time, ie a full season at the very least[/quote]I recall a certain Glen Roeder did a good job within a handful of games... [;)]

[quote user="canaryfan68"]

[quote user="UEA Canary"]i agree, what manager can make a shit team play well in 19 games, football doesnt work like that. he deserves time, ie a full season at the very least[/quote]

How was it Roeder took over a team which wasn''t his own and got us out of the bottom two when on 8 points whereas Gunn took us into the bottom 3 when we weren''t in trouble.

[/quote]Sorry, didn''t see your post. I think it''s unfair to suggest that we weren''t in trouble when Gunn took over - but if he was tactically astute, and generally didn''t make any mistakes, I wouldn''t have agree with you. However, I lose track of the amount of games where it was obvious to anybody watching at Carrow Road that a change was necessary - yet none were forthcoming from the managerial staff, and typically we went on to drop points.I was shocked when Gunn was given the caretaker role, and resigned when he was given the full time role. I pray that he is a quick learner, but everything about the club stinks of amateurism at the moment, and I certainly am not filled with hope.

Yeah, a certain Glenn Roeder who actually had some genuine match winners at his disposal - Huckerby anyone???  Gunny inherited a pile of s**te!

Roeder inherited all Grants Scottish rubbish , Gunn inherited the far better squad in a far healthier position and completely buggered it up , blokes not fit to manage schoolboy side . Delias arselicker , thats his only qualification for the job.

Yeah...and my arse plays Dixie after an Indian takeaway......

The "Oh well" brigade are now taking their seats.

History shows that anyone who tries to judge a manager by 19 games is likely to end up looking a fool.

On that basis Alex Ferguson would have been a failure, whereas Roeder looked good after 19 games. Look instead at the longer term strategic decisions Roeder took in his first season, in which the roots of our relegation can be found:

1. The loans policy which destroyed all continuity and any hope of building a team.

2. Scrapping the reserves which destroyed all continuity and any hope of building a team.

3. Selling off our talented youth players like Lewis.

4. Loaning out our players, including to our relegation rivals.

5. Falling out with key players like Huckerby and letting him go.

6. Sacking large number of backroom staff which contributed to the sense of turmoil and loss of continuity.

7. Abusing the fans.

Compare Gunn''s strategic decisions:

1. Signaling an end to the loans policy and indicating a focus on building a team of our own players.

2. Reinstating the reserve fixtures, giving us at least a chance of bringing the youth players through.

3. Giving debuts or places on the bench to our promising youngsters.

4. Recalling our loanees, especially from our relegation rivals.

5. Investigating a return for Huckerby.

I don''t know if Gunn will turn out to be inspired or insipid. But in terms of the longer term strategic decisions, he''s got more right than wrong so far. I feared for the club this time last year because of what Roeder was doing, and we''ve reaped the fruits of his efforts. There are more grounds for hope now, because most of his mistakes have been undone, though it''s going to be a long haul.

"gunn could well become a great league one manager"

So what, we already know he''s a crap championship manager. Does that mean we''re gonna be consigned to an eternity of League One football?

What will it be in a few years time? - "I think Gunn may well find his level at Blue Square South"

Seriously, the arguements for Gunn are becoming more and more ludicrous by the day.

The Alex Ferguson analogy has been done to death and I keep saying that before Ferguson went to United, he''d already managed three clubs, won a Scottish First Division title, a Scottish Premiership title and a European cup. He hadn''t just been the Sheriff of Manchester.

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]History shows that anyone who tries to judge a manager by 19 games is likely to end up looking a fool.

On that basis Alex Ferguson would have been a failure, whereas Roeder looked good after 19 games. [/quote]No, this argument is crap.  Sorry, you''re talking complete garbage.To see Alex Ferguson''s managerial record after his first 19 games:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson#ManagerYes Man U stuck with him, but because HE WAS A PROVEN DECENT MANAGER - look what he did with Aberdeen, FFS.  Whereas we have a chump in charge who had 19 games to keep the club out of the bottom 3 and failed miserably.

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]Look instead at the longer term

strategic decisions Roeder took in his first season, in which the roots

of our relegation can be found:

1. The loans policy which destroyed all continuity and any hope of building a team.

[/quote]The cheap option since we patently could not ''afford'' to buy any decent players long term.[quote user="Empty Mirror"]Look instead at the longer term

2. Scrapping the reserves which destroyed all continuity and any hope of building a team.

[/quote]Has nobody noticed we struggled to field ONE team last year. Look at the money we saved not needing 30 odd Pro''s at the club.[quote user="Empty Mirror"]Look instead at the longer term

3. Selling off our talented youth players like Lewis.

[/quote]A football decision or a financial decision? [quote user="Empty Mirror"]

4. Loaning out our players, including to our relegation rivals.

[/quote]The club should have kept them at Norwich and played them in the reserves. We didn''t because we couldn''t afford to.[quote user="Empty Mirror"]Look instead at the longer term

5. Falling out with key players like Huckerby and letting him go.

[/quote]We''ll never know the truth was this all GR''s fault or did he have to lose the highest earner at the club under orders?[quote user="Empty Mirror"]Look instead at the longer term

6. Sacking large number of backroom staff which contributed to the sense of turmoil and loss of continuity.

[/quote]Who sacked them, Roeder or the Club and did we make any savings on the wage bill?[quote user="Empty Mirror"]Look instead at the longer term

7. Abusing the fans.

[/quote]Inexcusable under any circumstances in mitigation one might present the enormous pressure GR was put under to perform when money he had been promised did not materialise and Shackell was sold from under his nose on the last day of the transfer window. In fairness GR had a list of names he wanted here last year the club hardly backed him in the transfer market, and the writing was on the wall much earlier than many realise as a result. [quote user="Empty Mirror"]

1. Signaling an end to the loans policy and indicating a focus on building a team of our own players.

[/quote]On the surface a good move, unfortunately we now know that our own players will be sourced cheaply from the lower leagues and we will thus be assembling a third division team not a Championship team, the goalposts have been moved quite dramatically since GR was here.[quote user="Empty Mirror"]

2. Reinstating the reserve fixtures, giving us at least a chance of bringing the youth players through.

[/quote]Must admit I''m puzzled by this move. Should be good for the team I''m intrigued as to how we are going to compile a large enough squad to enable this especially once the injuries start to kick in. We would struggle to name a first 11 as it stands let alone subs and a reserve team. Watching this with interest.[quote user="Empty Mirror"]

3. Giving debuts or places on the bench to our promising youngsters.

[/quote]A good move [quote user="Empty Mirror"]

4. Recalling our loanees, especially from our relegation rivals.

[/quote]We didn''t actually get anything worthwhile out of the returnees but on the plus side neither did our rivals once they''d returned.[quote user="Empty Mirror"]

5. Investigating a return for Huckerby.

[/quote]Fingers crossed on this score, Hucks in and around the team might just possibly be the only chance we have of being competitive next season.

I''m playing Devils Advocate here a bit as many of my answers are speculation simply to show that for most of the things for which Glenn Roeder is accused there was a secondary explanation and in almost all instances it can be quite clearly highlighted that whenever a football decision had to be made last year we chose the ''cheap option''. Whether each decision was made because it was the cheap option or whether each decision was made on footballing merit we''ll never know, it might just be coincidence that nigh on every appointment and sacking at the club while GR was in charge was indeed the cheap option or designed to bring money into the club via player sales, personally I suspect that many decisions were made in the boardroom and/or the accounts office not the managers office simply being transmitted via the manager but this is not provable. Are we a third tier football club because Glenn Roeder and Peter Grant wasted millions of pounds on bad players or are we a third tier football club because Delia Smith wants a football club and can''t afford a Championship club any more?