Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Yeovil = Weird

So next season will be possibly the weirdest of all for me, I spent 7 years of my teenage years around the Yeovil area which means I have a bit of a soft spot for Yeovil Town FC. Sure enough I was a season ticket holder there during their dark non-league ''pennies in buckets to survive'' days, and back then I never once thought Norwich City, my first passion, would ever visit in a league game capacity.Boy how the times have changed... the one thing I am looking forward to next year is a return to Huish Park... in yellow and green, and standing in the away end for the first time ever.Does anybody else have any "second teams" in League One?

The years I have waited for us to play yeovil, always hoped for a cup game or them climbing to our league,  have a load of family down there, so out of all releagtion doom, that is a little bright spot for me personally, I get to go and spend a weekend with them.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]So next season will be possibly the weirdest of all for me, I spent 7 years of my teenage years around the Yeovil area which means I have a bit of a soft spot for Yeovil Town FC. Sure enough I was a season ticket holder there during their dark non-league ''pennies in buckets to survive'' days, and back then I never once thought Norwich City, my first passion, would ever visit in a league game capacity.

Boy how the times have changed... the one thing I am looking forward to next year is a return to Huish Park... in yellow and green, and standing in the away end for the first time ever.

Does anybody else have any "second teams" in League One?
[/quote]

I too am a bit of a Yeovil Town fan I lived there for 5 years and my son was born there. I haven''t been to the "new" Huish yet but visited the old one on several occassions, usaually the local derbies with Weymouth and I did see Norwich play there in a testamonial match for two Yeovil players. Thanks to the internet I have made contact with old friends and colleagues recently and a kind fixture draw will find me re-visiting some of them. That''s the only small glimmer of joy I can think of after our appalling demise, but knowing us, the fixture will be a Tuesday night in January.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]So next season will be possibly the weirdest of all for me, I spent 7 years of my teenage years around the Yeovil area which means I have a bit of a soft spot for Yeovil Town FC. Sure enough I was a season ticket holder there during their dark non-league ''pennies in buckets to survive'' days, and back then I never once thought Norwich City, my first passion, would ever visit in a league game capacity.

Boy how the times have changed... the one thing I am looking forward to next year is a return to Huish Park... in yellow and green, and standing in the away end for the first time ever.

Does anybody else have any "second teams" in League One?
[/quote]

I worked in Minehead and worked with a few lads from the Yeovil area who took me to a couple of games so have a soft spot for them also.

Also down there were lads from Exeter, Plymouth and Bristol City and Rovers but I found Yeovil as my 2nd team.