Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

Croft's Transfer Close To Being Completed.

Derby County swoop for Lee Croft

May 17 2009 by Lee Gibson, Sunday Mercury

DERBY County are set to beat off competition from Crystal Palace to sign the Norwich City winger Lee Croft.

Croft is out of contract this summer at relegated Norwich.

Derby are actively seeking to tie up a deal for the 23-year-old who cost Norwich £600,000 from Manchester City in 2006.

Derby, who have already snapped up defender Jake Buxton from Burton, are also seeking to finalise a move for the Crewe full-back Jason Brayford.

Like Buxton, Brayford also played for Clough at Burton. He cost Crewe £80,000 last September but is now valued at around £500,000.

Not the first to jump of the sinking ship, probably wont be the last.

Is it really that big a blow though.  Probably one of the higher earners at the club, can count his truly memorable performances on 1 hand.

he always seemed to give 100% for the club which is more than some players i could mention he will be missed

He had made his mind up to leave in the last quarter of the season . I think this is why his performances tailed off. perhaps we should have sold him when we had a chance but the fans would have howled with criticism. a lesson to be learned for the future, sort contracts out well in advance or get rid

[quote user="lynn canary"]Well he was our player of the seasonso i for one think it will be a big loss.[/quote]

In all honesty I think he was shiniest turd in a sea shizzle.  Pick of a bad bunch, plus it should have been Clingan...

The mere fact that a supposed winger who can''t cross very well is considered our best player says more about the rest of the team than it does about how good Croft was, worked hard but that''s about all he had going for him and was as much to blame as the rest for our relegation. Can''t say I''m bothered about him or Marshall going tbh, both have major flaws in their games and neither are really that good imo.

We should never get in a situation where we let their contracts run out. When he didn''t sign a new contrct we should have sold him straight away and got somebody in who wanted to play for the club. He is a judas just like Earnshaw and Andy Marshall. He only got voted as player of the season in the hope that it would make him sign a new contract. He wouldn''t have signed even if we had stayed in the championship. It''s not just the loan players who didn''t show any committment, it was the players who knew they would be out the door as soon as relegation was confirmed. Going to join a great club like David Marshall? MY ARSE

[quote user="Spineless Fooks"]Derby County swoop for Lee Croft May 17 2009 by Lee Gibson, Sunday Mercury DERBY County are set to beat off competition from Crystal Palace to sign the Norwich City winger Lee Croft. Croft is out of contract this summer at relegated Norwich. Derby are actively seeking to tie up a deal for the 23-year-old who cost Norwich £600,000 from Manchester City in 2006. Derby, who have already snapped up defender Jake Buxton from Burton, are also seeking to finalise a move for the Crewe full-back Jason Brayford. Like Buxton, Brayford also played for Clough at Burton. He cost Crewe £80,000 last September but is now valued at around £500,000.[/quote]

Well Derby are certainly planning on going places, Crofty no cross ! Jake Buxton and Jason Brayford from Burton......they are clearly planning on a league one future ! [;)]

Crofty always gave his all and I''d have loved him to stay, but he''s not so it''s time to move on.

[quote user="Grif"]Crofty always gave his all and I''d have loved him to stay, but he''s not so it''s time to move on.[/quote]

Might have given his all, but no end product.  If all it takes to please some fans is to run all afternoon, sign a load of marathon runners.  Probably same output as Buzz...........

I do not see him as a big loss to the team, but think he is a big loss to our finances as at 23 was one of our few really saleable assets.  To let his contract expire seems like another indictment of the Roeder regime as think we could have got him to sign a one year extension last summer if reall efforts had been made (including a relegation release fee etc)

I reckon that is about another £500k down the drain.

[quote user="Grif"]Crofty always gave his all and I''d have loved him to stay, but he''s not so it''s time to move on.[/quote]

I think I have been spoiled by players of the past ...... Kenny Foggo, Jimmy Neighbour, Mark Barham, Ruel Fox, Dale Gordon, Neil Adams, Darren Eadie. If Croft wants to .... bye bye.

Gone are the days when we had long term players, that were our own for longer than a season or two, Thanks DELIA your lack of ambition and football know how, but on this occasion the people who sit either side og the goals will now feel a bit safer

What''s a shame is that he''s leaving us for free. Yes, he''s not the greatest player in the world, but he''s one of our better players and worth between £500k - £1mil.

I think his personality and his presence will be missed but his ability certainly won''t. If Gunn can find a crosser to replace him rather than a run your socks off for 90 minutes and do nothing player, Croft will soon be forgotten.

If he was on something like £8k per week, then he was costing the best part of half a million a year in wages. I suspect this is why contracts are allowed to run down, as had he left beforehand i suspect we would have had to pay his contract up too.

The players call all the shots and that is why the game is dying!

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]

[quote user="Spineless Fooks"]Derby County swoop for Lee Croft May 17 2009 by Lee Gibson, Sunday Mercury DERBY County are set to beat off competition from Crystal Palace to sign the Norwich City winger Lee Croft. Croft is out of contract this summer at relegated Norwich. Derby are actively seeking to tie up a deal for the 23-year-old who cost Norwich £600,000 from Manchester City in 2006. Derby, who have already snapped up defender Jake Buxton from Burton, are also seeking to finalise a move for the Crewe full-back Jason Brayford. Like Buxton, Brayford also played for Clough at Burton. He cost Crewe £80,000 last September but is now valued at around £500,000.[/quote]

Well Derby are certainly planning on going places, Crofty no cross ! Jake Buxton and Jason Brayford from Burton......they are clearly planning on a league one future ! [;)]

[/quote]

So what does signing a scaffolder suggest from non league,either we want to get into the building trade or we too are looking to go further down the leagues, I applaud Nigel Clough who is looking to rebuild his team and not just buy mercenary has beens looking to top up their pensions!!

I don''t think Croft could win.  If he had left in January, he would have been accused of jumping ship and not staying to help our cause.

He wasn''t our greatest player, but he put more effort over three seasons than some of the losers we''ve had.  He''s got every right to look for another club.  Good luck to him.

Surely, the quality of Crofts ''end product'' is measured by how often someone gets on the end of it.  To be fair to Croft he hardly has a lot to aim for........our midfield is static and very rarely enters the opposition box so for the most part, he''s been aiming for Cureton......a striker not exactly known for his aeriel prowess and one that also seems to like to avoid the ball at all costs.

He''s a decent 23 year old winger who, under the right coaching, could be a very good player.  At the end of the day football is supposed to be an entertainment and I''d take Croft taking on players than Clingan passing it two yards to the side all day.  No doubt when Clingan decides to do the sensible thing and bugger off soon we will all be saying how rubbish he was as well! 

Croft lacked quality but he had determination and at times he was one of the only players that looked like he cared about wearing the shirt.That to me is important.

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]

[/quote]

Where were Derby when Clough took over? Nigel Clough is a promising new coach, and has learnt his craft as a football manager in the non-league nether regions. He''s kept Derby up when they were struggling - and had a half decent cup-run. They''re still in the Championship - and still have a parachute payment to fund the squad. They also still have decent attendances.....

Now, what have we at Norwich got - to have a good and positive shout about?....Oh yes, relegation and a distinct lack of leadership and finance...."Hey Ho!"

[quote user="canaryfan68"][quote user="Canary Pirate"]

[/quote]

So what does signing a scaffolder suggest from non league,either we want to get into the building trade or we too are looking to go further down the leagues, I applaud Nigel Clough who is looking to rebuild his team and not just buy mercenary has beens looking to top up their pensions!!

[/quote]To be honest, think of the money we''ll save on stadium repairs! Next in, a plumber from Telford and a decorator from Chelmsford

[quote user="Clint"]

Surely, the quality of Crofts ''end product'' is measured by how often someone gets on the end of it.  To be fair to Croft he hardly has a lot to aim for........our midfield is static and very rarely enters the opposition box so for the most part, he''s been aiming for Cureton......a striker not exactly known for his aeriel prowess and one that also seems to like to avoid the ball at all costs.

He''s a decent 23 year old winger who, under the right coaching, could be a very good player.  At the end of the day football is supposed to be an entertainment and I''d take Croft taking on players than Clingan passing it two yards to the side all day.  No doubt when Clingan decides to do the sensible thing and bugger off soon we will all be saying how rubbish he was as well! 

[/quote]

Problem is that more often than not his crosses either hit the man at the near post or ended up in the crowd behind the goal, even if Drogba was in the middle he wouldn''t have been able to score many goals if the crosses hardly ever reached him.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Clint"]

[/quote]

Problem is that more often than not his crosses either hit the man at the near post or ended up in the crowd behind the goal, even if Drogba was in the middle he wouldn''t have been able to score many goals if the crosses hardly ever reached him.

[/quote]But imagine how many we would have scored if we had Drogba AND Lampard, and Drogba stood on Lampard''s shoulders...