Sign in to follow this  
Rustys 1st Touch

Fans initial reaction to managerial appointments

The appointment of Gunn this week brought back recent memories of the Grant and Roeder appointments. I remember vividly hoping and praying for a decent manager with a good track record being appointed. And then on hearing the news of their appointments being totally disappointed and underwhelmed on both occasions. It was that same emotion I felt on Wednesday.Thats why the Gunn appointment was the last straw. I know on previous occasions and even now, there are calls to get behind the manager but this time I just feel so despondent about how we appoint our managers. No ambition and no clue.I think the vast majority of fans on hearing the news of the last three appointments have felt the same. In the case of Grant and Roeder the fans were right. Wonder if the fans will be right for a third time?

Gunns appointment is the worst of the three , just did not believe they could even make a case for giving it to him and they were well aware of how unpopular it was going to be hence the timing of naming him one day before the fans meeting.

[quote user="Lupo Loop"]The appointment of Gunn this week brought back recent memories of the Grant and Roeder appointments. I remember vividly hoping and praying for a decent manager with a good track record being appointed. And then on hearing the news of their appointments being totally disappointed and underwhelmed on both occasions. It was that same emotion I felt on Wednesday.

Thats why the Gunn appointment was the last straw. I know on previous occasions and even now, there are calls to get behind the manager but this time I just feel so despondent about how we appoint our managers. No ambition and no clue.

I think the vast majority of fans on hearing the news of the last three appointments have felt the same. In the case of Grant and Roeder the fans were right.

Wonder if the fans will be right for a third time?
[/quote]

Am probably the only one, but I have a sneaking feeling Gunn, Crook and Butterworth are going to exceed everyones expectations and have us up there challenging for promotion all season ![:O]

[quote user="Lupo Loop"]The appointment of Gunn this week brought back recent memories of the Grant and Roeder appointments. I remember vividly hoping and praying for a decent manager with a good track record being appointed. And then on hearing the news of their appointments being totally disappointed and underwhelmed on both occasions. It was that same emotion I felt on Wednesday.Thats why the Gunn appointment was the last straw. I know on previous occasions and even now, there are calls to get behind the manager but this time I just feel so despondent about how we appoint our managers. No ambition and no clue.I think the vast majority of fans on hearing the news of the last three appointments have felt the same. In the case of Grant and Roeder the fans were right. Wonder if the fans will be right for a third time? [/quote]Absolutely 100% right Lupo Loop, and a great, if not also relieving post to read [Y]

I  have to totally agree with you  LL,and despondent is the onlyway to describe the way I feel. Now reading in today''s EDP that Gunn  says he will not be selling our best players at knock down prices !

The delusion continues !!! I am so depressed  I dont even want to think about the coming season, I trully expect us to be in League 2 next year.

A lot of the anger this week is based more on the reappointment of Gunn rather than the relegation itself. Gunn obviously was judged on the results but on other issues such as sentimentality, cheapness and bleeding yellow and green. It''s a joke that a man who relegated us has a chance to relegate us again.

Not surprised but totally disappointed and then to hear their reasons for the appointment begs belief. I am like alot of people who can live with the relegation but not the living without any hope of the situation being rectified. Along with this, the executives at the club don''t seem to want to admit they have balls''d it all up and continue to use the same logic as they have used before hoping that they''ll get different results.....TOTAL INSANITY!!

Yeah, we should have gone with experienced managers such as Hamilton, Walker or Rioch FFS!

[quote user="canaryfan68"]Not surprised but totally disappointed and then to hear their reasons for the appointment begs belief. I am like alot of people who can live with the relegation but not the living without any hope of the situation being rectified. Along with this, the executives at the club don''t seem to want to admit they have balls''d it all up and continue to use the same logic as they have used before hoping that they''ll get different results.....TOTAL INSANITY!![/quote]

I totally agree, the worst part is that now its almost impossible for us to bounce straight back up, there''s a total lack of hope for the situation.

I hope i''m proven wrong, but I sadly I can''t see it happening.

Charlton - five managers in less than three years
Southampton - five managers in less than three years, and an astonishing fourteen in the last ten years.
Norwich - five managers in less than three years, eight in the last ten

It does not pay to keep changing manager, the successful teams have a constant set up

Lupo, I think you can go back further still. Just looking back at the boards'' managerial appointments, just how many have been made as a result of realistic planning, what research have they carried out on candidates and who has advised on the suitability - and potential of each person.

For me it''s not so much about the fans being right. I suppose we can say that''s only a matter of opinion (though relegation is proof enough), what I want to be sure of though is when is the board going to get it right? When are they going to learn from the past appointments and put into place a decent recruitment process?

They have made many disastrous and ill thought out appointments based on nothing more than Delia liking them/they are cheap. But of course it goes further than that. IF a decent manager is appointed, what is he going to work with? We can look back with a series of "if only''s". If Rioch had been backed with money, if they had seen sense over Hamilton. It goes much deeper than the appointments of the football manager, and latterly as their little kingdom falls apart, it would take someone of Sir Alex Ferguson''s status to turn us around, not of course that we would even attract anyone of that calibre.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]it would take someone of Sir Alex Ferguson''s status to turn us around, not of course that we would even attract anyone of that calibre.[/quote]

Especially if Delia didn''t like him!

I''ve come clean about this before, but I had some actual optimism at the appointment of Roeder.... So pleased was I that the board had found budget for a ''football'' man who may not accept their self imposed limitations - I actually seemed to gloss over his awful record.

My mistake!

The only point of optimism as stated above by Canary Pirate is that as yet I think it may be possible to consider Gunn et al''s ''record'' as ''in development''. Let''s hope that 19 games with a poisonous dressing room and a bunch of loanees doesn''t reflect what they are capable of.

As for the success rate of my crystal ball - I''m often as wrong as the rest of us.

[quote user="Death by Chocolate Starfish"]Yeah, we should have gone with experienced managers such as Hamilton, Walker or Rioch FFS![/quote]WTF? Hamilton aside, we could only dream of someone of Walker or Rioch''s class.

Changing the manager is not a good thing so its better to appoint somebody competent then stick with them , we on the other hand have stuck with a man who is not a manager just a yes man , we may as well have stuck with Roeder at least he knew football , Gunn just likes to put his suit on and stand on the touchline (looking clueless) .What Gunn knows about football management you could write down on a postage stamp , force him out the sooner the better.

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"]Changing the manager is not a good thing so its better to appoint somebody competent then stick with them , we on the other hand have stuck with a man who is not a manager just a yes man , we may as well have stuck with Roeder at least he knew football , Gunn just likes to put his suit on and stand on the touchline (looking clueless) .What Gunn knows about football management you could write down on a postage stamp , force him out the sooner the better.[/quote]What an angry man you are..

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Gunns NO Legend"]Changing the manager is not a good thing so its better to appoint somebody competent then stick with them , we on the other hand have stuck with a man who is not a manager just a yes man , we may as well have stuck with Roeder at least he knew football , Gunn just likes to put his suit on and stand on the touchline (looking clueless) .What Gunn knows about football management you could write down on a postage stamp , force him out the sooner the better.[/quote]What an angry man you are..[/quote]As far as i''m concerned he is right, however angry he may be. Our clubs curretly going into oblivion, and i for one am not going to greet it with a smiling face.

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"]Changing the manager is not a good thing so its better to appoint somebody competent then stick with them , we on the other hand have stuck with a man who is not a manager just a yes man , we may as well have stuck with Roeder at least he knew football , Gunn just likes to put his suit on and stand on the touchline (looking clueless) .What Gunn knows about football management you could write down on a postage stamp , force him out the sooner the better.[/quote]I was astonished that Gunn got the job after Roeder. It was exactly the same mistake the board made when they appointed Grant except worse. At least Grant had coaching experience, Gunn didn''t have any. I remember laughing about Gunn when he was the stand in goalkeeping coach he was so out of shape and even Roeder realised he needed to be replaced by an experienced goalkeeping coach in Tommy Wright.He wasn''t even qualified to be a goalkeeper coach but he was put in charge of a side on the brink of relegation. It would of been funny if it wasn''t so sad.It was funny on Wednesday when the board called for continuity at the club. This was the same board who fired Roeder after an FA Cup game. If the board knew that they didn''t have a better replacement available then they should have done what good football boards do and stick by their manager i.e. keep Roeder and support him in transfer market. Just look at Plymouth half way through the season Sturrock was under pressure. Did they fire him? No, they showed loyalty to him and that loyalty was repaid by avoiding relegation.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]

Charlton - five managers in less than three years Southampton - five managers in less than three years, and an astonishing fourteen in the last ten years.Norwich - five managers in less than three years, eight in the last ten

It does not pay to keep changing manager, the successful teams have a constant set up

[/quote]Well of course the more successful teams are going to have less managers, because if they''re successful then it''s unlikely the manager would be sacked. The successful teams also have a decent manager in charge. Keeping the same person doesn''t mean you''ll do well.

If Gunn had shown any signs that he was learning by his mistakes then I could have accepted that he should be given another chance.  The best example of why he shouldn''t be the manager was on the last day of the season when he split up our best central defensive partnership of Doherty and Shackell, and we went 3-0 down before he moved Shackell back inside.  I don''t think there will be too many supporters optimistic about bouncing straight back up with Gunn in charge.  If relegation isn''t bad enough I still have to suffer comments from work colleagues such as "I don''t believe you have appointed that clown as your manager for next season".

I assume Gunn is on a good salary, and even if he fails to get us promoted and is sacked, he will still leave with a very generous pay-off like the previous failed managers at the club. 

There are similarities between a football manager and an MP;  both get paid a good wage, and even if they let their supporters/constituents down they are still handsomely rewarded for failure.  Yes I am jealous and wish I had become a football manager or MP.

[quote user="johnjohnjohnnyjohn"]

[quote user="canaryfan68"]Not surprised but totally disappointed and then to hear their reasons for the appointment begs belief. I am like alot of people who can live with the relegation but not the living without any hope of the situation being rectified. Along with this, the executives at the club don''t seem to want to admit they have balls''d it all up and continue to use the same logic as they have used before hoping that they''ll get different results.....TOTAL INSANITY!![/quote]

I totally agree, the worst part is that now its almost impossible for us to bounce straight back up, there''s a total lack of hope for the situation.

I hope i''m proven wrong, but I sadly I can''t see it happening.

[/quote]I don''t entirely agree. Whilst against Gunn''s appointment, you never really know how good a manager is going to be. A lot of people on here were optimistic about Grant becoming manager - and the players he brought in (the hype about Brellier). The truth is, everyone can be as miserable or as optimistic as they like - no one really knows how next season is going to pan out - that''s what football is.

The thing that really annoys me about Gunn''s appointment is that along with making the same mistakes they have before, the board then announce that one of the outgoing members had "endorsed" the appointment to bolster the remaining members'' case. Unfortunately, said departing boardmember was doing just that because of his previous failure to find the right candidate.

Isn''t this a bit like employing a sacked, self confessed pocket lining, MP as manager of employee expenses at a company? What credibility would they have?

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Death by Chocolate Starfish"]Yeah, we should have gone with experienced managers such as Hamilton, Walker or Rioch FFS!
[/quote]

WTF? Hamilton aside, we could only dream of someone of Walker or Rioch''s class.
[/quote]

Rioch was a joke! he took the job knowing there was no money to spend on players at the time then spent his tenure here moaning that he had no funs to siggn new players with!

Also, the football under Rioch was nothing short of awful... its because he came from Arsenal that people think he was brilliant...

jas :)