Sign in to follow this  
Puzzy magnet

World Cup venues...

Just thought we could have put ourselves in the mix that''s all.

I appreciate we don''t do: plans, ambition, hope etc...

I''ll just have to settle for watching a game at MK''s legoland instead. FFS.

[quote user="Big Dog "]

Just thought we could have put ourselves in the mix that''s all.

I appreciate we don''t do: plans, ambition, hope etc...

I''ll just have to settle for watching a game at MK''s legoland instead. FFS.

[/quote]

I would have thought your neighbours may have an edge over you as they hosted England v Croatia around 5-6yrs ago succesfully

[quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

I''m sure there was talk of possibly using CR and also possibilities if it was expanded to use Bristol City as well...

Anyway, if on the odd chance it ever did happen, we wouldn''t have to pay for it would we?  At least not all.

[/quote]

That''s why i''m surprised Norwich didn''t put theirself forward into the shortlist of  15 potential WC venues.

[/quote]

I don''t think it was up to the clubs to put themselves forward, more for the bidding Committee or whatever they''re called to put their own shortlist together.  What their criteria is/was God only knows.

[/quote]

I was under the impression that various Cities put theirself forward as potential candidates to host WC games, it would then be up to the bidding committee to choose which Cities best suit what they are looking for. Although you could be right.

[/quote]

Your guess is as good as mine?????

[8-)]

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]

[quote user="Larry David"]It would never happen. The population isn''t dense enough (well not it is but not in the geographic sense [;)]) and they would point to the face that we''re only 100 miles from London, and with Suffolk and Essex being even closer  you''re basically suggesting is that Norfolk people deserve a World Cup venue which is never, ever gonna happen unless the population triples by 2012..[/quote]

If  Derby, Leicester, Bristol, Milton Keynes and Portsmouth can all put theirself forward as petential WC venues then why can''t we?

[/quote]

Leicester if the biggest city in the East Midlands and Nottingham''s super stadium is unlikely to happen. Many residents are objecting, and it''s 50K, Forest will never ever fill it so plans could be scrapped, 40k would be more realistic.

Therefore Leicester has a fantastic chance what with its location, the size of the city and all of the facilities the stadium has to offer, it ticks every box that UEFA are looking for.

Bristol, it''s a big city so maybe, Milton Keynes won''t happen.

[quote user="foxile"]Leicester if the biggest city in the East Midlands and Nottingham''s super stadium is unlikely to happen. Many residents are objecting, and it''s 50K, Forest will never ever fill it so plans could be scrapped, 40k would be more realistic.

[/quote]

Forrest are planing on building a 50k stadium! Where on earth are they getting their funds from?...

No chance, FIFA require 40,000 minimum we will be unlikley to be anywhere near that level. Probably 10 stadium would be used max:-

Wembley, Stamford Bridge, Emeriates, St James'' Park, Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park, White Hart Lane, Future London 2012 Olympic Stadium. Maybe one will be in scotland (hamdon) or wales (millenium).

Maybe there will be one less in London and one more in the midlands, but anywhere in east anglia is unlikley they will expect us lot to travel down to london i reckon.  

[quote user="cockers85"]

No chance, FIFA require 40,000 minimum we will be unlikley to be anywhere near that level. Probably 10 stadium would be used max:-

Wembley, Stamford Bridge, Emeriates, St James'' Park, Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park, White Hart Lane, Future London 2012 Olympic Stadium. Maybe one will be in scotland (hamdon) or wales (millenium).

Maybe there will be one less in London and one more in the midlands, but anywhere in east anglia is unlikley they will expect us lot to travel down to london i reckon.  

[/quote]

Only two stadiums from London can be used and a max of 1 from any other City.

[quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="foxile"]Leicester if the biggest city in the East Midlands and Nottingham''s super stadium is unlikely to happen. Many residents are objecting, and it''s 50K, Forest will never ever fill it so plans could be scrapped, 40k would be more realistic.

[/quote]

Forrest are planing on building a 50k stadium! Where on earth are they getting their funds from?...

[/quote]I''m sure they have the odd 50k in the bank, although I wouldn''t trust the foundations...!

They had 12 stadiums at World Cup 2006 so would need the same amount in England in 2018. They need to be well spaced out, not just the 12 stadiums with the biggest attendances. Obviously some of this depends on planned stadiums being built in time. I would go for...

1. Wembley (90,000)
2. Old Trafford (76,212)
3. Emirates (60,355)
4. St. James'' Park (52,387)
5. Stanley Park (60,000) (or Anfield (45,522))
6. Kirkby Stadium (50,401)  (or City of Manchester Stadium (47,726))
7. Villa Park (42,573)
8. Elland Road (39,460)
9. New Nottingham Forest Stadium (45,000) or Walkers Stadium (32,500)
10. Bristol City Stadium (30,000) or Fratton Park (30,000 by 2018)
11. Falmer Stadium (24,000) or Stamford Bridge (42,005)
12. Stadium: MK (32,000 by 2018)

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]They had 12 stadiums at World Cup 2006 so would need the same amount in England in 2018. They need to be well spaced out, not just the 12 stadiums with the biggest attendances. Obviously some of this depends on planned stadiums being built in time. I would go for...

1. Wembley (90,000)
2. Old Trafford (76,212)
3. Emirates (60,355)
4. St. James'' Park (52,387)
5. Stanley Park (60,000) (or Anfield (45,522))
6. Kirkby Stadium (50,401)  (or City of Manchester Stadium (47,726))
7. Villa Park (42,573)
8. Elland Road (39,460)
9. New Nottingham Forest Stadium (45,000) or Walkers Stadium (32,500)
10. Bristol City Stadium (30,000) or Fratton Park (30,000 by 2018)
11. Falmer Stadium (24,000) or Stamford Bridge (42,005)
12. Stadium: MK (32,000 by 2018)

[/quote]

Ah, as someone who currently lives in Sheffield, you miss out the fact that football was born in Sheffield, so one of the two Sheffield clubs will be a host (indeed the current sitting Sheffield Central MP Richard Caborn is going to be on the Bid team, so he wouldn''t have any influence would he?).  Notwithstanding that the CEO of the Council said the other week that it would be cheaper for him to sanction the building of a new stadium in the city rather than spend lots of money trying to keep the peace between the two clubs (or with Rotherham currently on loan to Sheffield is that three).  Caborn supports United by the way, so my guess is that given their current position and financial backing and the Hillsborough disaster, my money''s on Bramall Lane.  United have also recently submitted planning application to increase capcacity to 40,000 plus as part of their plans to be a host for 2018.

Also interesting to read that Leeds'' Elland Road ground is going to get new facilities (yep off the pitch investment) to improve its potential for generating income (no investment in increasing capccity though) and local regeneration not to improve the team.  The local Council owns the ground so perhaps Norwich City Council should be tapped up.

As I have said before. Ambition would be to sell Carrow Rd. and move to a purpose built out of city stadium and the sooner the board grasp this the better.

[quote user="Felixfan"]As I have said before. Ambition would be to sell Carrow Rd. and move to a purpose built out of city stadium and the sooner the board grasp this the better.[/quote]and as has been pointed out before, that is a stupid idea, as our ground is perfectly situated at the moment.Next to the train station, and 5 minutes from the A47, whats moving it going to achieve that it doesnt already have.

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]They had 12 stadiums at World Cup 2006 so would need the same amount in England in 2018. They need to be well spaced out, not just the 12 stadiums with the biggest attendances. Obviously some of this depends on planned stadiums being built in time. I would go for...1. Wembley (90,000)2. Old Trafford (76,212)3. Emirates (60,355)4. St. James'' Park (52,387) 5. Stanley Park (60,000) (or Anfield (45,522))6. Kirkby Stadium (50,401)  (or City of Manchester Stadium (47,726))7. Villa Park (42,573)8. Elland Road (39,460)9. New Nottingham Forest Stadium (45,000) or Walkers Stadium (32,500)10. Bristol City Stadium (30,000) or Fratton Park (30,000 by 2018)11. Falmer Stadium (24,000) or Stamford Bridge (42,005)12. Stadium: MK (32,000 by 2018)[/quote]Well, I can guarantee a couple that will be used:-

1) Wembley

2) Old Trafford

I can guess that the following ones will be used:-

3) Emirates

4) St. James Park

5) Villa Park

6) New Liverpool Stadium or Anfield

7) Portsmouth

8)  Elland Road

9) MK Dons Stadium

10) Carrow Road (or equal replacement) or scums down the road11) BristolAnd one other

[quote user="Two Tails"][quote user="Felixfan"]As I have said before. Ambition would be to sell Carrow Rd. and move to a purpose built out of city stadium and the sooner the board grasp this the better.[/quote]

and as has been pointed out before, that is a stupid idea, as our ground is perfectly situated at the moment.

Next to the train station, and 5 minutes from the A47, whats moving it going to achieve that it doesnt already have.
[/quote]

Release funds,increase capacity,make a multi purpose stadium for the 21st century that becomes a sporting venue with commercial ventures.

[quote user="Two Tails"][quote user="Felixfan"]As I have said before. Ambition would be to sell Carrow Rd. and move to a purpose built out of city stadium and the sooner the board grasp this the better.[/quote]

and as has been pointed out before, that is a stupid idea, as our ground is perfectly situated at the moment.

Next to the train station, and 5 minutes from the A47
, whats moving it going to achieve that it doesnt already have.
[/quote]

Spot on! Would make a great Real Estate development, wouldn''t you think?

There is a large part of me would hate to see it happen, but I think Felixfan is right. It''s the commercial reality of football these days.

Yeah, ''cos it worked out really well for Southampton didn''t it?

Building a new stadium means incurring a whole load of extra debt.  Not sure that''s the wisest move I''ve ever heard.

[quote user="mr carra"]

Building a new stadium means incurring a whole load of extra debt.  Not sure that''s the wisest move I''ve ever heard.

[/quote]

No. the debt is wiped out by the developer who acquires valuable real estate and part finances the new stadium in exchange for perhaps some rental income or franchises from those that want to buy in. A win win situation.

[quote user="Felixfan"][quote user="mr carra"]

[/quote]

No. the debt is wiped out by the developer who acquires valuable real estate and part finances the new stadium in exchange for perhaps some rental income or franchises from those that want to buy in. A win win situation.

[/quote]Recession permitting....! I think keeping Carra rud is the best option, to get rid would be insanity.

The argument that we''re close to London is a flawed one for if that''s the case, they''ll just say ''sod it, what''s the point of moving a couple of games to East Anglia then if it''s close to Wembley?''. A League One club situated in a far-flung part of England; what would people say to Yeovil getting some games if they increased their capacity to 40,000?

If it did come to East Anglia, it would go to Ipswich. Sad but true.

[quote user="Hell yeah"]its been anounced that mk dons would get it!      [/quote]

Having a 40,000+ stadium in MK would be a total waste.

Sorry to put a downer on this thread, but afraid there is no way Carrow rd could be considered for a WC  venue in E Anglia, because of the design of the stadium, (thank''s to that carbuncle of a hotel in the way), the very max the stadium could increase to is 36000. the rules say 40000 min capacity. You know how it works the scummers down the road always  come up smelling of roses, they would apply for the venue, if they replace their oldest stand their capacity could rise to 45000. You can see it now them lot Lording it up in a nice big stadium built with some one elses money while we are still scraping about in our 26000 stadium for the next 50 years!.Norwich is a great City with great tadition and should be and deserve to be the Capital of  E Anglia, fit for a WC venue, Ipswich is no where near us in that respect!. Unfortunatly  the football club does not achieve what this City deserves. I feel sick saying it but Ipswich have a club and ambition that do.

The club and council should have put Norwich forward with plans to build a new stadium subject to being granted any World Cup games.

In fact they could even have plans to add a track and bid for the Commonwealth Games. We already have the swimming pool at the UEA, Norfolk Boards for the rowing, Yarmouth for bowls, Tony Martin for shooting.