Sign in to follow this  
Puzzy magnet

World Cup venues...

If our club was not being downsized to the grade of a pub team, Norwich should clearly be in the hat as a potential World Cup venue.

Portsmouth, Hull and MK are even in for it. Surely East Anglia is allowed one venue? One look at a map of the UK suggests so.

Yes we''d need another 4-6,000 seats - but we''d have about ten years to build them.

Alas, I think I know which club in East Anglia, with their freshly installed former Olympic boss, will be in the front seat.

Little old Norwich. Still, maybe by the time the World Cup comes around we''ll have got out of League One and have Championship football to celebrate instead.

Ambition is for others.

Old Trafford, Anfield, The Emirates, Wembley, Stamford Bridge, Probably St James Park (newcastle that is.. not exeter!) and one from the midlands.. most likely Villa park.. covers the North and south evenly... 7 stadiums.. most tournaments have that i think.

jas :)

Hull, MK and Portsmouth are all in the running according to today''s launch of the bid.

My main point is that there is a logic for a geographical spread.

This has been raised before. Fifa stipulates that World Cup stadia must have a capacity of at least 40,000, and that is unlikely to be reduced for any World Cup held in England.That would mean increasing Carrow Road''s capacity by around 14,000 seats. Unlikely in the foreseeable future.

[quote user="Big Dog "]

If our club was not being downsized to the grade of a pub team, Norwich should clearly be in the hat as a potential World Cup venue.

Portsmouth, Hull and MK are even in for it. Surely East Anglia is allowed one venue? One look at a map of the UK suggests so.

Yes we''d need another 4-6,000 seats - but we''d have about ten years to build them.

Alas, I think I know which club in East Anglia, with their freshly installed former Olympic boss, will be in the front seat.

Little old Norwich. Still, maybe by the time the World Cup comes around we''ll have got out of League One and have Championship football to celebrate instead.

Ambition is for others.

[/quote]

Hate to be rude (and know the midlands isn''t nice before get snide remarks) but Anglia seems to be the forgotten place in England! No chance!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]This has been raised before. Fifa stipulates that World Cup stadia must have a capacity of at least 40,000, and that is unlikely to be reduced for any World Cup held in England.

That would mean increasing Carrow Road''s capacity by around 14,000 seats. Unlikely in the foreseeable future.[/quote]

I heard that England are going for a 45,000 minimum stadium capacity for all of our potential world cup venues. If our world cup bid team deems it necessary to have a world cup venue in East Anglia and indeed Norfolk/Norwich, then they along with our Council could find funds to build a new 45,000 stadium for 2018. Logistically the south west and south east of England should have WC venues, and as of now no clubs stick out as having a potential WC stadium in place for 2018, which means that new stadiums may have to be built.

Yeah, let''s incur a load MORE debt increasing the size of the stadium just on the off chance we might get a couple of World Cup games.  That would be a really smart move!!!!

[quote user="we8wba"][quote user="Big Dog "]

Ambition is for others.

[/quote]

Hate to be rude (and know the midlands isn''t nice before get snide remarks) but Anglia seems to be the forgotten place in England! No chance!

[/quote]

LOL

Maybe to uneducated muppets like you who couldn''t pinpoint Norfolk on a GB map it is!

Logistically it would make sense for England to have a WC venue in East Anglia.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]he''s right though, outside the region Norfolk is a forgotten place[/quote]

Forgotten as in if you asked someone outside of EA, do you know Norfolk? They would reply "no, I forgot about Norfolk"?...

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]he''s right though, outside the region Norfolk is a forgotten place[/quote]

Forgotten as in if you asked someone outside of EA, do you know Norfolk? They would reply "no, I forgot about Norfolk"?...

[/quote]No, but I know plenty of people who wouldn''t be able to pinpoint it on a map....

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="West_London_Canary"]

[/quote]
No, but I know plenty of people who wouldn''t be able to pinpoint it on a map....
[/quote]

Sadly I work with a lot of people who wouldn''t be able to point it out on a map.

It would never happen. The population isn''t dense enough (well not it is but not in the geographic sense [;)]) and they would point to the face that we''re only 100 miles from London, and with Suffolk and Essex being even closer  you''re basically suggesting is that Norfolk people deserve a World Cup venue which is never, ever gonna happen unless the population triples by 2012..

It would never happen. The population isn''t dense enough (well not it is but not in the geographic sense [;)]) and they would point to the face that we''re only 100 miles from London, and with Suffolk and Essex being even closer  you''re basically suggesting is that Norfolk people deserve a World Cup venue which is never, ever gonna happen unless the population triples by 2012..

[quote user="Big Dog "]

If our club was not being downsized to the grade of a pub team, Norwich should clearly be in the hat as a potential World Cup venue. Portsmouth, Hull and MK are even in for it. Surely East Anglia is allowed one venue? One look at a map of the UK suggests so. Yes we''d need another 4-6,000 seats - but we''d have about ten years to build them. Alas, I think I know which club in East Anglia, with their freshly installed former Olympic boss, will be in the front seat. Little old Norwich. Still, maybe by the time the World Cup comes around we''ll have got out of League One and have Championship football to celebrate instead. Ambition is for others.

[/quote]Errrr we don''t even host senior England games, so why the hell would Argentina and Brazil play at Carrow Road in a World Cup game. Ridiculous. Newsflash people, Carrow Road ISN''T that great. There are a dozen better stadiums in Englands.

[quote user="Michael Starr"][quote user="Big Dog "]

Ambition is for others.

[/quote]

Errrr we don''t even host senior England games, so why the hell would Argentina and Brazil play at Carrow Road in a World Cup game. Ridiculous. Newsflash people, Carrow Road ISN''T that great. There are a dozen better stadiums in Englands.
[/quote]

If Portsmouth can bid for a place why can''t we?

[quote user="Michael Starr"][quote user="Big Dog "]

Ambition is for others.

[/quote]

Errrr we don''t even host senior England games, so why the hell would Argentina and Brazil play at Carrow Road in a World Cup game. Ridiculous. Newsflash people, Carrow Road ISN''T that great. There are a dozen better stadiums in Englands.
[/quote]

Obviously if a there was to be a a World Cup venue in East Anglia it wouldn''t be CR or PR, a new stadium would need to be built.

[quote user="Big Dog "][quote user="Michael Starr"][quote user="Big Dog "]

Ambition is for others.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Portsmouth is within an hour of Southampton, Brighton, Bournemouth and a number of smaller towns and its surrounding area would serve thousands more people than we would if we were to host a game.

They are also the biggest club on the south coast and we aren''t even the biggest club East Anglia.

Ambition is for others.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Portsmouth is within an hour of Southampton, Brighton, Bournemouth and a number of smaller towns and its surrounding area would serve thousands more people than we would if we were to host a game.

They are also the biggest club on the south coast and we aren''t even the biggest club East Anglia.

Ambition is for others.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote user="Larry David"]It would never happen. The population isn''t dense enough (well not it is but not in the geographic sense [;)]) and they would point to the face that we''re only 100 miles from London, and with Suffolk and Essex being even closer  you''re basically suggesting is that Norfolk people deserve a World Cup venue which is never, ever gonna happen unless the population triples by 2012..[/quote]

If  Derby, Leicester, Bristol, Milton Keynes and Portsmouth can all put theirself forward as petential WC venues then why can''t we?

I''m sure there was talk of possibly using CR and also possibilities if it was expanded to use Bristol City as well...

Anyway, if on the odd chance it ever did happen, we wouldn''t have to pay for it would we?  At least not all.

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

I''m sure there was talk of possibly using CR and also possibilities if it was expanded to use Bristol City as well...

Anyway, if on the odd chance it ever did happen, we wouldn''t have to pay for it would we?  At least not all.

[/quote]

That''s why i''m surprised Norwich didn''t put theirself forward into the shortlist of  15 potential WC venues.

I thought you couldnt have more than one venue from the same city.

So you couldnt have Wembley, Emirates and Stamford Bridge. Or have I just made that up?

[quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

[/quote]

That''s why i''m surprised Norwich didn''t put theirself forward into the shortlist of  15 potential WC venues.

[/quote]

I don''t think it was up to the clubs to put themselves forward, more for the bidding Committee or whatever they''re called to put their own shortlist together.  What their criteria is/was God only knows.

[quote user="Largey"]

I thought you couldnt have more than one venue from the same city.

So you couldnt have Wembley, Emirates and Stamford Bridge. Or have I just made that up?

[/quote]

I believe that the rules state that you can''t use more than one stadium from the same City bar 1 exception which will be London, soWembley and The Emirates/Twickenham will be used. But The City of Manchester stadium and Old Trafford can''t both be used.

It will end up being

Newcastle - St James /Sunderland - SOL

Manutd - Old Trafford

Liverpool - New Stadium

Leeds - Elland Road

Villa - Villa park / Birmingham city talked about new stadia

Nottingham - Forest got new super stadium coming

Bristol City - New Stadium Coming

Wemberly

Arsenal - Emirates

Portsmouth - new stadium

wildcard - Milton Keynes - due to being only Grade A Uefa Stadium in England

dont know how many you can have per city and how many stadiums are required

but this is fairly fair across the country

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t think it was up to the clubs to put themselves forward, more for the bidding Committee or whatever they''re called to put their own shortlist together.  What their criteria is/was God only knows.

[/quote]

I was under the impression that various Cities put theirself forward as potential candidates to host WC games, it would then be up to the bidding committee to choose which Cities best suit what they are looking for. Although you could be right.

[quote user="we8wba"]

It will end up being

Newcastle - St James /Sunderland - SOL

Manutd - Old Trafford

Liverpool - New Stadium

Leeds - Elland Road

Villa - Villa park / Birmingham city talked about new stadia

Nottingham - Forest got new super stadium coming

Bristol City - New Stadium Coming

Wemberly

Arsenal - Emirates

Portsmouth - new stadium

wildcard - Milton Keynes - due to being only Grade A Uefa Stadium in England

dont know how many you can have per city and how many stadiums are required

but this is fairly fair across the country

[/quote]

I heard that Twickenham and the Millenium stadium in Cardiff are also being considerd as potnetial venues. The bidding committee are a long way off decideing which Cities will host WC games, alot can change in the next few years.