Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Is our Team better than last year ?

I am a little worried by our recent transfer activity.

Huckerby: Only one word Quality (although not a striker)

Svennson: Decent Championship Striker, will struggle in the premier league

Mckenzie: Decent Championship Striker, will struggle in the premier league

Charlton: Will in my opinion be player of the season this year, bargain

Ward & Gallagher: Insurance against Greenos impending departure

Helveg: Shaky Start but I think he is a decent player

Jonson: Again Shaky Start but I think he is a decent player although is he better than what we had.

Doherty: The new Rob Newman ? at best a squad player not better than what we had

Safri: Promising but has not been given any time to shine, better option than Holt in my opinion

Bentley: Talented but hasn''t come up with the goods as yet, not a team player.

So is our team better than last season ? No

We have increased the depth but not the quality and the area we always new we would struggle has not been adressed at all, up front. We obviously find it almost impossible to part with money to buy strikers as someone said you pay peanuts you know what you get, there are no short cuts. Give Jarvis and Henderson a run from the bench and pray we are still in touch come xmas.

The more I look at it the more I think we may have wasted what little money we did have (although I understand we bought Svennson and Mckenzie to get us out of the first division)

I think most of us were shocked when we didnt sign a striker in the summer (we should have known we were shocked the previous summer too!) I think we have to understand strikers cost money regardless of what division you are in and if we want to compete in this division we have to get out of that mentality.

Can anyone fill my glass its currently half empty !

"Mckenzie: Decent Championship Striker, will struggle in the premier league"

What are you talking about?!?!   Or was that another McKenzie  on Saturday that ran rings round the Everton defence and slotted the ball home between Martyn''s legs!

The rest maybe you''re along the right lines.

But Mckenzie proved everyone on this message board right when Worthy has been starting him - we all called for him to be given his chance.....

.... of course we were singing the same tunes about Helveg last week - and he managed to prove us all wrong !!!

"I sometimes feel that I have nothing to say and I want to comunicate this"

KeelansGlove, whilst I cannot disagree with most of the analyses of individuals that you have written here, that''s just it: they are comments about individuals, whereas the question was about whether our team is better than it was last season.  I think it is.  Of course we are playing at a higher level, and it shows.  (If anyone doubts me put on the season review ''Worthy Champions'' or, at the very least, watch a fizzy pop live match.  Chalk and cheese come to mind!)  Yes we''re probably all feeling down about losing on Saturday and will feel that hurt until the much-needed first win actually happens, but there is no doubt in my mind that I''m watching a better quality of football now from us on a regular basis than I was last season.  Whatever the the verdict upon us by next May I would think that bodes well for next season, assuming most of the players stay with us.

I cant disagree with what you have written. We should have signed a striker but either we refused to accept we needed one or felt that the price was either too high for our targets or we did not want to spend the cash - a poor state of affairs either way.

Ignoring the signings of Sven and Leon (as you admit their purchases were made to meet different needs) I agree with your assessments on Jonson and Helveg. Both are taking time to settle but have class stamped through them and are significantly better than last years options (Rivers, Briggs, Eddie Mcveigh etc) On taking time to settle both Steve Bruce and Dave Watson took a long while to settle - in todays climate I doubt either would have lasted a season yet both were class acts - give players time please.

Charlton was a disappointing signing when announced but is looking like a suprb buy. Bentley was always a gamble - putting too much faith in a 19 year old was always questionable as I pointed out before he joined. However a reasonable gamble non the less.

Ward and Gallagher could be anything but as you point out were longer term purchasers made at the right time for the right reasons - they will probably prove sound signings too.

Safri and Docherty is where it goes wrong. To me both are squad fillers - accepting that historically our squad was too small with no options. Both provide that cover but as yet have not made an impact. Are they better than Mullers or Malky, not sure but we knew neither were up to prem standard - whereas Safri and Doc have time on their side to prove that they do.

In summary I only disagree with your summary. I feel that while the signings have not yet set the world on fire there are/will be more successes than failures and without a doubt the squad is stronger than last years title winners.

OTBC

Mckenzie scored a good goal on Saturday but he has had very good chances in all the games he has played in (good positioning at least) are you telling me that he shouldn''t have scored from 6 yards against WBA ?

I remember his chances against Man U , Newcastle, Arsenal and probably at least one good chance in every game he has played. To be a premiership striker he should be converting a much higher ratio, nobody will ever score them all but his finishing is championship quality at present.

I still rate Helveg as a better ball player than many that are regularly given a start in our team, If he tries soimething that doesnt come off he is slated, much better to be Gary Holt and never try a pass of more than 5 yards.

[quote]"Mckenzie: Decent Championship Striker, will struggle in the premier league" What are you talking about?!?! Or was that another McKenzie on Saturday that ran rings round the Everton defence and sl...[/quote]

Stella,

One game doesn''t make a player Premiership class.  Yes McKenzie had a good one on Saturday, but it''s taken a fair few games!  The question still remains if he can do it week in week out at the highest stage