Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Did anyone hear the recorded message from one of our own towards the end of tonight''s show? Missed the start, so don''t know who it was but the presenter rated it as the best rant ever on the show. Basic message was don''t blame Delia, we are all at fault. Content aside, the sheer rapid fire, stream of conciousness-ness in full-on broad Norfolk made it. Was it any of you out there?

As I said, missed start but think he said he was in Sheffield.

Well, my ears are ringing, but oh dear. Possibly ranks with his good old idol herself as the most embarrassing rant from a supporter ever.

He contradicts almost everything he says, first telling us not to blame Delia, then saying it is the board''s fault. Saying we have to get behind Bryan Gunn then saying we won''t come straight back up. A small "community club" with 20,000 supporters (he didnt say ST holders). I doubt he''s ever asked himself why things just don''t add up.

I didn''t catch your name sir, but Sheffield is welcome to you. Thanks once again for setting us back years! Where do they get these people? I imagine even those working at the club itself would have been highly embarrassed by that.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Well, my ears are ringing, but oh dear. Possibly ranks with his good old idol herself as the most embarrassing rant from a supporter ever. He contradicts almost everything he says, first telling us not to blame Delia, then saying it is the board''s fault. Saying we have to get behind Bryan Gunn then saying we won''t come straight back up. A small "community club" with 20,000 supporters (he didnt say ST holders). I doubt he''s ever asked himself why things just don''t add up. I didn''t catch your name sir, but Sheffield is welcome to you. Thanks once again for setting us back years! Where do they get these people? I imagine even those working at the club itself would have been highly embarrassed by that.[/quote]

Perhaps you should think yourself lucky he didn''t turn up at the meeting.[;)]

I don''t believe it was billed as a comedy Cam, and as was advertised, he is a fan concerned about the club, so could have come along, others attending travelled similar distances.

Just out of interest though, what is your perception (as a journalist) of the average Norwich fan? Does this guy from Sheffield strike you as fairly typical or was the call made by Shaun Lawson a couple of weeks ago more of a standard setting call?

His name was Will and he was ''in Sheffield'' as opposed to ''from Sheffield''. Absolutely brilliant rant - as Spooney said "he didn''t come up for breath once..."Good on ya Will. Just for the amusement factor! Had me in stitches.[;)]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]I don''t believe it was billed as a comedy Cam, and as was advertised, he is a fan concerned about the club, so could have come along, others attending travelled similar distances. Just out of interest though, what is your perception (as a journalist) of the average Norwich fan? Does this guy from Sheffield strike you as fairly typical or was the call made by Shaun Lawson a couple of weeks ago more of a standard setting call?[/quote]

Don''t really think I can answer that Gazza and perhaps no one can about an average fan.  I did not hear the other call but I think it hard to gauge the general view when you are talking about feelings out of a total attendance of around 24,000.  I think what has happened in recent years at all clubs is that the growth of the football message board is capable of distorting as well as reflecting - and not just about football.  It tends to become a very tight community with "characters" of various types and I think it is easy for those supporters to be absolutely convinced that they represent general thinking - I think it far harder to say whether that is in fact the situation.  There must be times when it is but I am not sure how you tell. 

If you take politics, for example, many commentators would probably say that Brown will take a hammering at any election but I''m sure you know people so steadfastly committed to one party or another that they will vote for them come what may.

Speaking personally, I think Doncaster has done a good job at your club.  He is, after all, instructed by the Board and reported to them and one must assume that his departure is because it was felt that something had to be done.  If it was my club I would be far more concerned about the financial situation than anything else in these troubled times.  You won''t find any "evenhandedness" on any football message boards - a great deal of it (probably on specific "occasions") is going to be little more than the sort of rant you''ve just heard. Again there will be exceptions - posters like yourself and a number of others on here who will try to reason out their argument.  But by and large you are the exception and that is why I find it so hard to judge them.  You can find a "side" if you see what I mean and you know what you will get.

The problem with message boards is that they end up totally predictable.  Let us imagine a scenario: you get off to a storming start and win your first half dozen games on the trot.  New heroes will emerge, however temporarily and a few may even win the plaudits of a poster who within the last fortnight has delivered a volley of vitriol in the same direction.  And, if that were to happen, very few will say they were wrong of their own volition.

With your meeting of 500 that is a different thing - that was a good turnout and compare it with the very low turnout at the meeting the night before where feelings appeared not to be running high enough to pack out their venue.  And they, apparently, have nearly £700,000 invested.  But again, just set against season ticket holders, there would seem to be a lot of people who were not concerned enough to join in.  They may subscribe to your view but, if so, couldn''t be bothered to turn up.  I would say Delia has a lot of supporters but I would equally say that probably many of them know as little about football as many Norwich supporters feel about her.  Some will have latched on to the celebrity - some will admire the TV persona, the cookery skills but yes there will be people who think she has done a good job financially for you in supporting you with money. But some will just be Norwich supporters who do not feel that your relegation to Division Three is any cause to vent their spleen.  There will be a few nutters looking forward to visiting The Grecians and Yeovil for the first time (this will be the young uns) and others shrugging their shoulders out there and saying: "That''s football, life''s a bitch."

The weakness of message boards, in my opinion, is that it provides a platform for people to vilify individuals which detracts not only from underlying but no less sexy issues but, more importantly, detracts from the general message itself.  I can only quote the case of Lincoln City, facing not relegation but of going out of existence.  We had to ditch all the ranters and ravers very early on and it''s a good job we did - believe me they have no place when you are talking round a table with Administrators at 11.45 p.m

Personally I think she''s a good hearted girl who is now almost certainly out of her depth and not helped by the recession.  He''s what he ever was - tagging along and probably with even less enthusiasm than before.  A friend who is a director of Charlton says she was in tears at the end of the game. Tweed you can forget - every time he tells this "story" you get a different version in case you wondered why no one has followed it up too enthusiastically.

And, no, your meeting wasn''t billed as a comedy, and, yes, he should have turned up and said it.  Better that, joke ''an all, than the Melissa thread which appeared on this group and got pulled. (And, yes, we captured it just in case[:D]

But you see it is likely that he would not have been a comedy act at all had he journeyed to St Andrew''s Hall and voted against Delia/ Bryan Gunn.  He would have just been part of an impressive majority.

See how easy it is?

[quote user="dpit"]Did anyone hear the recorded message from one of our own towards the end of tonight''s show? Missed the start, so don''t know who it was but the presenter rated it as the best rant ever on the show. Basic message was don''t blame Delia, we are all at fault. Content aside, the sheer rapid fire, stream of conciousness-ness in full-on broad Norfolk made it. Was it any of you out there?[/quote]Amazing. Just found out it was my sister''s boyfriend phoning up for a joke. Can''t believe they didn''t realise it was a spoof call.Says a lot about what the world thinks of Naaarwich folk.Ha ha

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]I don''t believe it was billed as a comedy Cam, and as was advertised, he is a fan concerned about the club, so could have come along, others attending travelled similar distances. Just out of interest though, what is your perception (as a journalist) of the average Norwich fan? Does this guy from Sheffield strike you as fairly typical or was the call made by Shaun Lawson a couple of weeks ago more of a standard setting call?[/quote]

Don''t really think I can answer that Gazza and perhaps no one can about an average fan.  I did not hear the other call but I think it hard to gauge the general view when you are talking about feelings out of a total attendance of around 24,000.  I think what has happened in recent years at all clubs is that the growth of the football message board is capable of distorting as well as reflecting - and not just about football.  It tends to become a very tight community with "characters" of various types and I think it is easy for those supporters to be absolutely convinced that they represent general thinking - I think it far harder to say whether that is in fact the situation.  There must be times when it is but I am not sure how you tell. 

If you take politics, for example, many commentators would probably say that Brown will take a hammering at any election but I''m sure you know people so steadfastly committed to one party or another that they will vote for them come what may.

Speaking personally, I think Doncaster has done a good job at your club.  He is, after all, instructed by the Board and reported to them and one must assume that his departure is because it was felt that something had to be done.  If it was my club I would be far more concerned about the financial situation than anything else in these troubled times.  You won''t find any "evenhandedness" on any football message boards - a great deal of it (probably on specific "occasions") is going to be little more than the sort of rant you''ve just heard. Again there will be exceptions - posters like yourself and a number of others on here who will try to reason out their argument.  But by and large you are the exception and that is why I find it so hard to judge them.  You can find a "side" if you see what I mean and you know what you will get.

The problem with message boards is that they end up totally predictable.  Let us imagine a scenario: you get off to a storming start and win your first half dozen games on the trot.  New heroes will emerge, however temporarily and a few may even win the plaudits of a poster who within the last fortnight has delivered a volley of vitriol in the same direction.  And, if that were to happen, very few will say they were wrong of their own volition.

With your meeting of 500 that is a different thing - that was a good turnout and compare it with the very low turnout at the meeting the night before where feelings appeared not to be running high enough to pack out their venue.  And they, apparently, have nearly £700,000 invested.  But again, just set against season ticket holders, there would seem to be a lot of people who were not concerned enough to join in.  They may subscribe to your view but, if so, couldn''t be bothered to turn up.  I would say Delia has a lot of supporters but I would equally say that probably many of them know as little about football as many Norwich supporters feel about her.  Some will have latched on to the celebrity - some will admire the TV persona, the cookery skills but yes there will be people who think she has done a good job financially for you in supporting you with money. But some will just be Norwich supporters who do not feel that your relegation to Division Three is any cause to vent their spleen.  There will be a few nutters looking forward to visiting The Grecians and Yeovil for the first time (this will be the young uns) and others shrugging their shoulders out there and saying: "That''s football, life''s a bitch."

The weakness of message boards, in my opinion, is that it provides a platform for people to vilify individuals which detracts not only from underlying but no less sexy issues but, more importantly, detracts from the general message itself.  I can only quote the case of Lincoln City, facing not relegation but of going out of existence.  We had to ditch all the ranters and ravers very early on and it''s a good job we did - believe me they have no place when you are talking round a table with Administrators at 11.45 p.m

Personally I think she''s a good hearted girl who is now almost certainly out of her depth and not helped by the recession.  He''s what he ever was - tagging along and probably with even less enthusiasm than before.  A friend who is a director of Charlton says she was in tears at the end of the game. Tweed you can forget - every time he tells this "story" you get a different version in case you wondered why no one has followed it up too enthusiastically.

And, no, your meeting wasn''t billed as a comedy, and, yes, he should have turned up and said it.  Better that, joke ''an all, than the Melissa thread which appeared on this group and got pulled. (And, yes, we captured it just in case[:D]

But you see it is likely that he would not have been a comedy act at all had he journeyed to St Andrew''s Hall and voted against Delia/ Bryan Gunn.  He would have just been part of an impressive majority.

See how easy it is?

[/quote]Excellent post, to be fair, i don''t know who to blame to be fair. What i do know is that league 1 isn''t good enough and means something is up, blaming someone is a different matter altogether. There''s several options however and the fact is, that the vast majority on here, including myself do not know the facts, despite how intellegent or knowedgable about football we might be.I can therefore only give options for blame and conspiracies if you like:Players not performing to standard- Fozzy, Cureton and Semmi seem to be the main culprits not including loans, with the likes of Russell and Pattison not far off. Is this their fault, i.e. the manager is encouraging them, they are good enough and they are being used tactically right and are fully fit? If one of these isn''t the case, that''s where the blame falls on either bad luck, the manager or the board.Manager not performing to standard- Succession of managers since worthys last few games have been really bad on the whole. So, is this going back to the players letting him down, sheer bad luck (referees woodwork...) not having enough money to fulfil expectations or the board picking someone out of their depth? If any of these are the case, then the blame goes elsewhere.Board not performing to standard- Despite 20000+ fans each week at carrow road and monumental profit on player purchases, we don''t seem to have any money and despite other similar teams in terms of stature getting investment, we seem to struggle to, we are stuck with off-field assets, but haven''t the goods on field. Well, is the board appointing wholly capable managers who simply let them down by going against how they said they would bring success, is there really noone out there who would invest money in us and the board couldn''t try any harder, are they just plain unlucky with everything. Are the off-field assets actually doing us well and mean we''d be worse off without them? Is it not their fault that we have no money despite obvious ways in which we should be up there with the west broms and prestons of this world?well, the point is, i don''t know. But i just can''t accept it to be bad luck, and that must mean the blame falls somewhere, maybe in a few places, but one of these groups is failing more than the others, and i''m struggling to see which, but all of it does seem to lean towards the board at the end of the day, as it would in any underachieving business. The guys at the top are always the fall guys. That''s why, despite Semmi being a lazy bastard, Fozzy being a useless captain, cureton being so nervous in front of goal in a yellow shirt he couldn''t finish his dinner, roeder being an arrogant so and so who let his personality get in front of the obvious decisions, grant being an angry so and so who is useless in the transfer market, worthy running out of ideas, gunn sending us down with lack of spirit in the final 6 games, that is why i''m leaning toward blame the board for all this mess, bad luck or otherwise, as they must take the fall for all this. Is it right to simply get rid of them though? i think not. We really do need an extra couple of people there tho, one with money and one with a good footballing and business knowledge. Until this happens, we will struggle, we may limp back into the championship, but that league has grown, and we have not and we will struggle even if we get back there unless new money is found.

I tell you what, i wish one of us 2 had been the rant on 606 anyway, our club is seen as a complete joke now up and down the country and needs help, not idiots like him reinforcing everyone on the outsides opinion of us. I do agree however that we should get behind gunn, as there is no alternative but to, and maybe in time we will be lucky and he will turn out good.

Thanks for your very considered reply Cam. Yes, I agree it would be almost impossible to gauge a "typical" city fan, but that''s using my judgement of many years of support and talking to many people over those years. 606 and the media in general have perhaps a different view and the call from the guy from Sheffield only perpetuates that idea. Messageboards are a relatively new idea, and if only used by a tiny proportion of any club''s fanbase this doesn''t necessarily prove that they are not representative. It just shows not every fan uses a computer.

The NCISA meeting proved a case in point. Hundreds there and almost certainly few who post on messageboards, yet were concerned enough to turn up and either speak or listen to the points raised.

However, just purely judging this on people I know, I can safely say most of them don''t post on messageboards, for various reasons. That still classes them as fans (and believe me a fair few of them are very entrenched in their views and would make Smudger look like Delia''s PR man), they just don''t particularly want to spend hours on a computer.

You make an excellent point about the Delia celebrity thing. What is it with people who feel the need to follow a bright light and are subsequently blinded by it? It''s not just Delia is it? Most red tops are crammed full of content re celebrities. Yes, we have seen the Delia supporters (she packs the entire front row at the AGM with them). And more. Most of them couldn''t name more than three players and certainly know nothing of the club pre Delia. Your further analogy re fans then goes on to describe possibly the biggest group of all. The apathetic fan - oh well that''s just football (unless you are from Burnley, Preston, Sheff Utd etc). Of course there are plenty of them and you can bet they don''t get too excited about anything in life. Each to their own.

I have no real issue with Tweed, or Cullum or anyone else who have been used to bang points home. My issues are firmly with those who have run our club into the ground and still carry on in their own sweet way thinking it will a) all be okay because we are fans after all and b) no one is around to make it better anyway.

I don''t believe that for a moment. IF, as Doncaster was fond of saying, plenty of clubs (doing better than us) had wealthy benefactors it begs the question, why don''t we? Perhaps it really is time to look closely at all of this. Why not? I wonder what the terms and conditions are - once you pass the Fit for Norfolk test? And as for Keith Harris, what exactly is his brief? Is it investment, any as long as it''s in six figures, investment of any kind or potential buyers. Now that I would like to hear about. Any chance of some pointers Cam?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I tell you what, i wish one of us 2 had been the rant on 606 anyway, our club is seen as a complete joke now up and down the country and needs help, not idiots like him reinforcing everyone on the outsides opinion of us. I do agree however that we should get behind gunn, as there is no alternative but to, and maybe in time we will be lucky and he will turn out good.
[/quote]

It was awful wasn''t it?  Trouble is that people round the country are daft enough to believe it was genuine.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Thanks for your very considered reply Cam. Yes, I agree it would be almost impossible to gauge a "typical" city fan, but that''s using my judgement of many years of support and talking to many people over those years. 606 and the media in general have perhaps a different view and the call from the guy from Sheffield only perpetuates that idea. Messageboards are a relatively new idea, and if only used by a tiny proportion of any club''s fanbase this doesn''t necessarily prove that they are not representative. It just shows not every fan uses a computer. The NCISA meeting proved a case in point. Hundreds there and almost certainly few who post on messageboards, yet were concerned enough to turn up and either speak or listen to the points raised. However, just purely judging this on people I know, I can safely say most of them don''t post on messageboards, for various reasons. That still classes them as fans (and believe me a fair few of them are very entrenched in their views and would make Smudger look like Delia''s PR man), they just don''t particularly want to spend hours on a computer. You make an excellent point about the Delia celebrity thing. What is it with people who feel the need to follow a bright light and are subsequently blinded by it? It''s not just Delia is it? Most red tops are crammed full of content re celebrities. Yes, we have seen the Delia supporters (she packs the entire front row at the AGM with them). And more. Most of them couldn''t name more than three players and certainly know nothing of the club pre Delia. Your further analogy re fans then goes on to describe possibly the biggest group of all. The apathetic fan - oh well that''s just football (unless you are from Burnley, Preston, Sheff Utd etc). Of course there are plenty of them and you can bet they don''t get too excited about anything in life. Each to their own. I have no real issue with Tweed, or Cullum or anyone else who have been used to bang points home. My issues are firmly with those who have run our club into the ground and still carry on in their own sweet way thinking it will a) all be okay because we are fans after all and b) no one is around to make it better anyway. I don''t believe that for a moment. IF, as Doncaster was fond of saying, plenty of clubs (doing better than us) had wealthy benefactors it begs the question, why don''t we? Perhaps it really is time to look closely at all of this. Why not? I wonder what the terms and conditions are - once you pass the Fit for Norfolk test? And as for Keith Harris, what exactly is his brief? Is it investment, any as long as it''s in six figures, investment of any kind or potential buyers. Now that I would like to hear about. Any chance of some pointers Cam?[/quote]

I can''t answer the last question really - Norfolk has a fair share of wealth and wealthy people but sadly none of them apparently interested in football.  Harris has said that he was asked to find "substantial investors" for Norwich and as far as I know is still looking although, to be fair, we haven''t asked him recently.  I hear rumours on the grapevine that Foulger has a couple of locals in his sights with the possibility that at least one might come on the board and, if it is a local business person, that might bring some commonsense into  the situation.  My understanding is that we are not talking multi millions here but a sizeable enough chunk to probably relieve the worst of the financial pressure.  What stage this is at I have no idea but I do believe it to be a "go-er". 

Also, and this has barely got a mention, you will free up money because I''m afraid there are likely to be substantial redundancies among the "back room" staff. 

If you look at a lot of the Northern clubs, such as those you mention, you nearly always find that most of their benefactors are local lads made good - Doncaster''s owner (like me, a model railway enthusiast[:$] first went to their games at the age of six - very successful millionaire businessman who says he put £5m into the club when they plunged into the Conference and many millions since.  It has taken them a long time to get where they are (and I thought they fought back brilliantly this season) but they are still getting home crowds of not much more than 6000 or 7000.  A lot of the Northern clubs have been bankrolled over the years by some local hero. 

The celebrity fixation is, as you say, a modern phenomena but, at her age, I am sure she is finding it all a bit wearying.  I think she does love the club enough to want to stay in some sort of role but I also feel that if sufficient money came along she would step aside.  I am pretty certain he would! I think you have to hope that Foulger is going to try and pull this together because I really don''t think Delia knows what to do.  I thought the body language of recent appearances was very weary, very down.

Holy crap!

I haven''t cringed this much since Delia''s half time rant, why is it that when ever you see or hear a Norwich fan being interviewed on TV/Radio, he/she always has one of the strongest Norfolk accents you have ever hard, yet in the City of Norwich very few people have strong Norfolk accents. Sky Sports is a great example of this, I swear they just look for the strongest accent they can find before interviewing.