Sign in to follow this  
The Fish Seller

The worst thing about appointing Gunny as Manager

The worst thing about appointing Gunny as Manager is that once again the Board appear to be refusing to acknowledge that the problems at our Club originate higher up the chain of command than the managers desk. Our managerial record under Delia Smith is dismal the average tenure of the job is just about 12 months I believe, a poor record at any club and certainly not a good representation of the well run and stable club image our owners like to project.I''m not against a Gunn led team per se, he is probably the best man for the job at the moment since the secret must be out that the Managers job at our club is a poisoned chalice where money is promised but never delivered and successive managers have been forced into subsidising transfers and other parts of the clubs business activities through player sales. Gunn at least knows the score there so will have few nasty surprises waiting for him as the transfer windows draw to a close and is also one of the few people the current board might lose out against in the fan popularity stakes the next time they attempt to throw our manager to the lions to hide their own shortcomings.I understand that somebody needs to be in charge of the summer hiring and firing but Gunny could have continued in his role on a caretaker basis until the time was right to make a permanent appointment and that time could not possibly come until the board have taken a long hard look at themselves and their strategies of recent years, identified their errors and acted accordingly. Any offer made to Gunny and co today can only have been the usual bagful of empty promises a prospective managerial appointee is given at this club because those making the offer are in no way able to underwrite those promises at the moment.The managers appointment could have and should have waited until after the fiduciary aspects of the relegation have been dealt with, until after the board have ratified the business and footballing strategies the club should be adapting for life in the lower league and until after the soul searching has been completed and those trusted with the welfare and future of this club are 100% confident they have the desire and resources to take us forwards in the struggle to get back to where we belong.The accounting year is drawing to an end any shortfall for this year or next must be looming over the board, we can only guess the figures I would expect them to already have a pretty good idea and know deep down and honestly if they can or maybe if they even want to continue running our club. If they know that they can''t cope financially or know that they''ve had enough then it''s time to stop pretending, but most of all stop trying to paper over the cracks by making appointments such as todays.Today was not the time to appoint a manager, not Gunny not anyone. Today was the time for the board to sit together, hold the post mortem, identify the errors and decide who is in and who is out. By failing to recognise or worse still to recognise but not acknowledge  that changes must be made at boardroom level for the good of the club I can only anticipate another 12 months like the last.And I don''t need to mention how that ended.NCFC Budgeting for relegation since 2005 and now we''ve finally achieved it we find out there is not nor ever was a plan ''A'' when we got there.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Buckethead"]Today was not the time to appoint a manager, not Gunny not anyone.[/quote]Good job they didn''t then.[/quote][:)] Just read the offy site seems sky jumped the Gunn a bit. [;)]Still having read the club statement I feel much more hopeful about points covered in this post than I did when I wrote it 20 mins ago. Fingers crossed.

I feel a bit sorry for you actually as you clearly took a lot of time to write a good thoughtful post and bang! Impact lost [;)]Time will tell though, as ever.