Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Hucks on the left at last !

We looked a different team when we reverted to the formation that served us so well last season, Hucks is far more potent with a free role from the left and as we have such a defensive central midfield I cant see why this shouldn''t be the formation for us at least we looked like doing something. I still think Holt has been poor all season but as Worthington will never drop him I have given up and will include him in my lineup.

Our Best Team

Green , Edworthy, Charlton, Fleming, Drury, Jonson, Francis, Holt, Huckerby, Svennson, Mckenzie.

I think that this is probably our best lineup currently although I don''t think we have a premiership quality finisher at the club (we will have to make do with what we have till January) Mckenzie needs to take a long hard look at himself , ok he has managed to get himself into some great goalscoring positions this season, I guess about a dozen clearcut chances and a return of one goal is at best championship quality.

The only area we are not premier league is that we still require six chances to score a goal and unless we sort this out ultimately it will see us back in the championship next season.

I agree with your team but I dont understand your Holt remark.

He had a shaky start, fair enough, but he''s been getting better and better, and I thought he was outstanding yesterday. Helveg was very poor, and despite getting his goal I thought Francis was disappointing, as he has been several times this season - IMO he''s had a very mixed season, several good performances but at least as many very ordinary ones.

Anyway if it hadnt been for Holt, Graveson would have run all over us yesterday.

I totally agree Keelan. It was so screamingly obvious in the first half that Hux was simply not playing up front. All his work came from the left and he was miles away from Leon. Thank god Worthy saw this in the second half.

Svensson put in one of his better performances - remincent of his debut v binners and the Wigan game at CR last year. Linking up brilliantly with Leon. He has a knack of feeding him very quickly on the turn down the channels which sets him charging off towards goal. It all give us another dimension and takes some of the pressure of hux to do ALL our attacking.

DEFINITELY the way forward.

Holt was back to doing what he does best imo - mixing up the opposition midfield and keeping it simple and occasionally finding space for himself to go forward. In this game i thought our midfield looked very competitive and it was the defence that let us down for the goals. There was some worryingly niaive defending going on for such an experienced back line. I couldn''t help thinking that if Malky was there we would not have conceded the first or the third goals.

As for the SIX (i counted) VERY decent chances we missed, we needed someone who would have just got stuck right in there and thrown himself at a few of them. Sven can hopefully be that player if he''s going to start performing like he did when he came on. But i couldn''t help thinking of Iwan!! Still, mustn''t go there, his time has passed i know! But Malky? Still think his departure was premature. 

We definitly need huckerby on the left so we have some creativity. The problem of playing huckerby up front is that there is never anyone getting into the box for him to pass to, and hence the number of times he has to go it alone. I thought everything about Huckerby today was superb - definitly our best player and his attitude and workrate was excellent

I agree completely, I have always said on this site that the best place for us to have hux is on the left with mackenzie and svenson up front and i too would drop holt. Yes he had his best game for a long time yesterday but most of the time we carry him a team of 10 men in fact. How must saffri be feeling with his excellent range of passing and tackling completely gutted i imagine.

Green

Eddy Charlton Flem Drury

Jonson Saffri Francis Hux

Sven Mackenzie

This is the best team we have available with lots of options for the bench

P.S. don''t you think eddy was superb yesterday.

we''ve been discussing this on another thread. i can''t agree with anyone who is still suggesting to put holt on the bench. he''s been getting stronger and stronger and definitely played better than francis (who i agree has a self-confidence issue) vs everton.

the two line ups the other thread seems seemed to like are:

Green Green
Edworthy Edworthy
Charlton Charlton
Fleming Fleming

Jonson Bentley
Holt Holt
Francis Francis
Huckerby Huckerby

Svensson Jonson
McKenzie McKenzie

[quote]we''ve been discussing this on another thread. i can''t agree with anyone who is still suggesting to put holt on the bench. he''s been getting stronger and stronger and definitely played better than fran...[/quote]

I know you have your yellow and green specs on ny, but I''d probably put Drury in at left back!

Would probably go with your team on the right but McVeigh for Bentley

I''m sorry but I think that Francis was outstanding on saturday again (as he has been in every game where we''ve played 4-4-2) and I don''t understand how anyone can say Holt was better. Holt had a very good second half but was missing completely in the first half and in my opinion its no coincidence that our second half performance improved so dramatically because it was only in the second half that we had a midfield. If he can produce the second half display on a regular basis then Holt merits his place in the team but if he goes missing like in the first half then he is a liability. Personally i thought he was totally at fault for their first goal when having tracked Bents run adn forced him out to the touchline he inexplicably then stepped back from him and stood off him allowing him to slip that pass inside to Cahill. Last season he would have simply muscled the other player off the ball.

I do agree about Hicks on the left. Although defensively it can be exploited it gives us so much more going forward.

I will have to plough an lone furrow and claim Hux was a liability defensively and he should remain our key striker...

In the second half Hux looked superb going forward but only for 20 minutes and what has not been commented on is the superb back up play he got from Drury - a good attacking partnership.

However once Moyes introduced Watson the threat down the left subsided (but did not disappear) and the momentum went out of our game. Drury was not able to support Hux but more crucially Hux was not working back quickly enough to give Drury the cover he deserved. This lead to the winning goal as the ball spilt to Watson who had far too much time and space to pick out his cross to the big man at the back post - a proper midfielder may have prevented such a good cross. I am certain that had Hux started on the left Eevrtyone would have exploited this for more of the game - the only reason they didnt expose it more on Sat was that they had already lost a 2 goal lead and didnt want to lose a lead again - hence the introduction of Yobo.

In this game moving Hux to the wing was the right decision (we had a two goal deficit to chase) but I still beleive that it is not a long term full time solution for us as a team - the defensive weaknesses it creates outweigh any attacking advantages. At the end of the day it cost us a point in this game.

OTBC

zipper I understand the point you are trying to make, but I don''t think Hux on the left cost us a point.  It was four defenders on the near post that cost us a point.  That was the one really poor thing about our whole game that stood out for me.

Hux on the left helped create so many great chances and we look great every time he plays there.   Attack is most definitely the best form of defence, but we need our defenders keeping the simple stuff sorted.

It is now a tough choice between who should start out of Helveg, Safri, Holt and Francis because all three of them have had 45 minutes of greatness at some stage and Helveg hasn''t really had a proper chance.  

Some pople have said Jonson looked poor, but I thought he got better as the game went on and should still start on the wing over Bentley or McVeigh, with Hux on the other.

I agree that Hux alone did not cost us a point; my post does suggest a proper midfielder MAY have prevented a cross and I have pointed out elsewhere today that the defending of the back post by a striker turned midfielder is hardly top notch.

My last comment was purposefully provocative but I still believe the thrust of my comments stand - Hux gives us the same attacking thrust when played as a striker but the team loses defencive security when he is a left midfielder.

OTBC

i think Huckerby would be deadly on the left midfield. and leon would not be on his own in the box. We would have to find a solution defensively though because Hux may not get back to defend.