ncfclad

Stefanovic wants to stay :)

Want to stay?   NoNeed to stay?   Yes

“But I''ve been out injured for six months so it''s going to be a tricky

one - where do I go after six months out? I also need to live.”

[quote user="First Wizard"]Oh bugger!.........more expensive crap![/quote]

Crap? You sir are an idiot sometimes

um when did we start conceding more goals! When Stefanovic got injured. Facts dont lie.

[quote user="Destort"]

[/quote]

Wiz has been right about a lot of things recently.

He''s already taken a pay cut so that settles any debate about him being too expensive surely? Would be quite comfortable for us in defence in League 1 I''m sure.

[quote user="ncfclad"]

I think it is vital we keep him despite his wages, at least he wants to stay!

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED07%20May%202009%2010%3A01%3A21%3A367

[/quote]

"Despite his wages" is not an option open to us I fear, more like because of his wage we can''t keep him.

Stef could do very well in league 1. However, the injury he sustained at his age has taken a long time to get better, league 1 is a physical league. Stef needs to make sure he is up to the task and that the knee is going to be able to hold out on crap pitches and under the effects of bruiser strikers...

The first month of the season will tell just how much affect the injury has had on Stef and if he still has a future here imo.

jas :)

[quote user="CT "][quote user="Destort"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL.

[quote user="Destort"]

[/quote]

Sometimes?!

[quote user="Destort"]

[/quote]

Unlike you who advocates keeping an average player with a very serious knee injury..............jeez![:S]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Destort"]

[/quote]

Unlike you who advocates keeping an average player with a very serious knee injury..............jeez![:S]

[/quote]Says the Cureton fan. [:D]

[quote user="CT "][quote user="Destort"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Says the boy who assured us that something big was going to happen yesterday in order to get some attention.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Destort"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Says the Cureton fan. [:D]
[/quote]

LOL Lord.................but Jamie''s not injured...........and, we might well need to keep him as many posters on here says he''s a league one striker![:|]

I think we''ve been saying he''s a League 1 striker for over a year, Wiz... turns out we were right after all.... [;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Destort"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Says the Cureton fan. [:D][/quote]

LOL Lord.................but Jamie''s not injured...........and, we might well need to keep him as many posters on here says he''s a league one striker![:|]

[/quote]He may not be injured but he is distinctly average. Thus, I would drop the accusation of Dejan being ''average'' and just stick with the ''injured'' part. [;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Destort"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wasn''t the comment was it Wiz? You said ''Crap'', Not injury prone, ''crap''.

So typical of you to change what was said.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Stef could do very well in league 1. However, the injury he sustained at his age has taken a long time to get better, league 1 is a physical league. Stef needs to make sure he is up to the task and that the knee is going to be able to hold out on crap pitches and under the effects of bruiser strikers...

The first month of the season will tell just how much affect the injury has had on Stef and if he still has a future here imo.

[/quote]Agree Jas - except we cannot wait until the first month of the season before we decide to sign him. Too big a risk IMO - and in any event I do not think he is the team "general" we must find, around which to build the team. Must be less expensive and younger talent in the lower leagues surely?

I must admit I would let Stefanovic, Cureton and Drury leave. All three I can imagine are on large wages and their wages could probably go on four/five league one players.

For me, the obvious solution here would have been a pay per play contract, stick with his original wage but on a pay per play basis, this gives him the motivation to stay fit and perform. You could dangle the carrot by suggesting he could get involved with the coaching side. Get rid of Butterworth. Having a fit Stefanovic next season in League One would be a massive boost, he''s possibly one of our most talented players, and having him and Doherty at the back next year consistantly would give us a foundation to build from with the kids we''ll no doubt slot in around them.

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Agree Jas - except we cannot wait until the first month of the season before we decide to sign him. Too big a risk IMO - and in any event I do not think he is the team "general" we must find, around which to build the team. Must be less expensive and younger talent in the lower leagues surely?
[/quote]

Thing is Binky, everyone is after the same thing. The talented players from the lower leagues usually have several suitors and there just aren''t that many football teams below us. Leicester for example had aging full backs in Edworthy and Powell who could not have been cheap for League 1, quality does shine through in League 1 and a fully fit Stefanovic would be a real benefit. The other point, which he makes himself is, who else would take him on at 34 and just come off a 6 month injury? Don''t forget how composed he was at the back for us and his distribution was first class.

[quote user="Destort"]who else would take him on at 34 and just come off a 6 month injury?[/quote]You could bet that if we didn''t already have him, we''d take him on loan.... [:D]Incidentally, we don''t have to wait any period before ''signing'' him... he''s already signed, he''s got another year on his contract... he may be on a high wage, but if he stays fit he could prove one of the most vital players next season... as others have said, Stef and Doc would be an immense pairing at this level, if a little immobile....

[quote user="Destort"][quote user="Binky"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]Agree Jas - except we cannot wait until the first month of the season before we decide to sign him. Too big a risk IMO - and in any event I do not think he is the team "general" we must find, around which to build the team. Must be less expensive and younger talent in the lower leagues surely?[/quote]

Thing is Binky, everyone is after the same thing. The talented players from the lower leagues usually have several suitors and there just aren''t that many football teams below us. Leicester for example had aging full backs in Edworthy and Powell who could not have been cheap for League 1, quality does shine through in League 1 and a fully fit Stefanovic would be a real benefit. The other point, which he makes himself is, who else would take him on at 34 and just come off a 6 month injury? Don''t forget how composed he was at the back for us and his distribution was first class.

[/quote]Understood - and Dublin certainly proved his worth in the Championship. I suppose my fear is that 1) his wages will still be high; 2) we will be short of the readdies and 3) he will get injured again and we''ll still be paying his wages. However, if he''s prepared to accept a League 1 salary - and a big further reduction if he fails to make fitness, then I would welcome him being in the squad. Otherwise he would be a big risk. Hard but we are up against it. Alternatively, Lee has shown there are still  high earners who accept Costa Del Colney has its attractions - and if they are prepared to put in the shift on a realistic wage, I have no problem with that. (Better that than being told they don''t want to come to Norwich because it''s too far etc).

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="Destort"][quote user="Binky"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Agree Jas - except we cannot wait until the first month of the season before we decide to sign him. Too big a risk IMO - and in any event I do not think he is the team "general" we must find, around which to build the team. Must be less expensive and younger talent in the lower leagues surely?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Understood - and Dublin certainly proved his worth in the Championship. I suppose my fear is that 1) his wages will still be high; 2) we will be short of the readdies and 3) he will get injured again and we''ll still be paying his wages. However, if he''s prepared to accept a League 1 salary - and a big further reduction if he fails to make fitness, then I would welcome him being in the squad. Otherwise he would be a big risk. Hard but we are up against it. Alternatively, Lee has shown there are still  high earners who accept Costa Del Colney has its attractions - and if they are prepared to put in the shift on a realistic wage, I have no problem with that. (Better that than being told they don''t want to come to Norwich because it''s too far etc).
[/quote]

Only prob being we''ve already taken the risk, so effectively there is no real option available as he has that extra year on his contract. Other than a mutual termination which is unlikely, we just have to hope he stays fit. He is a huge asset when fit and a class above most in League 1 so you never know, we may get some luck.

For heaven''s sake!!!!   The man is a leader.   The only one on the books.  He took charge when he played and apart from Dublin and possibly Helveg is the only leader we have had since Malky and Iwan.  He should stay and be given the captaincy if he is fit enough.  He had a cruciate injury and not an amputation.  Even at 34 that is not necessairily a problem.

[quote user="Destort"][quote user="Binky"][quote user="Destort"][quote user="Binky"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]Agree Jas - except we cannot wait until the first month of the season before we decide to sign him. Too big a risk IMO - and in any event I do not think he is the team "general" we must find, around which to build the team. Must be less expensive and younger talent in the lower leagues surely?[/quote]

[/quote]Understood - and Dublin certainly proved his worth in the Championship. I suppose my fear is that 1) his wages will still be high; 2) we will be short of the readdies and 3) he will get injured again and we''ll still be paying his wages. However, if he''s prepared to accept a League 1 salary - and a big further reduction if he fails to make fitness, then I would welcome him being in the squad. Otherwise he would be a big risk. Hard but we are up against it. Alternatively, Lee has shown there are still  high earners who accept Costa Del Colney has its attractions - and if they are prepared to put in the shift on a realistic wage, I have no problem with that. (Better that than being told they don''t want to come to Norwich because it''s too far etc).[/quote]

Only prob being we''ve already taken the risk, so effectively there is no real option available as he has that extra year on his contract. Other than a mutual termination which is unlikely, we just have to hope he stays fit. He is a huge asset when fit and a class above most in League 1 so you never know, we may get some luck.

[/quote]But "I have already taken my wages cut because we have gone down, my salary is less already," said the Serbian. "I

want to stay and if the club wants me we can discuss that. But even if

I wanted to stay maybe the club will say, ''listen, Dejan, you still

have big wages and we need you to go''. I think it is going to be a long

summer."
- suggests to me he knows he''s still expensive even after the mandatory wage cut. A class above certainly but a difficult decision for any manager: paying him off might not be much cheaper than paying his salary but decide not to pay him off and you run the risk of paying his full contracted wages even though he may be out for the rest of the season if he gets crocked again. Suppose much will depend if any better (or cheaper!) alternatives are identified and if Dejan can find work elsewhere.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]For heaven''s sake!!!!   The man is a leader.   The only one on the books.  He took charge when he played and apart from Dublin and possibly Helveg is the only leader we have had since Malky and Iwan.  He should stay and be given the captaincy if he is fit enough.  He had a cruciate injury and not an amputation.  Even at 34 that is not necessairily a problem.[/quote]

I couldn''t agree more. The lack of leadership on the pitch this season has been a major factor in our decline, and Dejan is the kind of player we''ll need alongside the younger players. I think a Stefanovic/Doherty partnership would be excellent in League One, as long as we have pacy full-backs to complement them (and please note that I''m not thinking of Otsemobor).