Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Rage Against The Referee

I know - should be in other football yadda yadda - but noone ever goes there - do they??!

Wanted to make the point that the antics of Chelsea tonight were an absolute disgrace. Drogba & Ballack perhaps the worst offenders, but as a whole it really was appalling. Particularly after they had been diving and time wasting at every opportunity all night - really was quite embarrassing. They got exactly what they deserved on the night - and I really hope they are reprimanded suitably.

Role models? What a load of rubbish. The ref had a poor game, but they should really be ashamed of themselves.

I didn''t see any of the game (don''t have Sky) but the beeb site reckons Chelski were rather unlucky - but I''m pretty sure most of the footballing world will be quite pleased: whatever else, the result means that for once the best two sides in Europe will meet in the final.

To be honest they had a fair point....3 stone cold penalties turned down!!!! You would be pissed off, however I did feel for the ref a little bit as Drigba was well over the top!

Chelsea don''t help themselves though - the number of times they dived tonight, it really does give the ref an impossible job.

They were hard done by with some decisions admittedly, but that is no justification for their appalling behavior. This isn''t the first time Chelsea have behaved like this, and they really need to be punished big this time.

It happens to smaller clubs all the time - Barcelona are a bigger club than chelsea - it''s to be expected. Its just hard for them to get used to. The only difference is that if a smaller clubs players had protested as much they wouldn''t have stayed on the pitch

Some Chelski fan just email SSN to say "I hope the ref knows how many people he left in tears".

Oh what a hard life it must be missing out on the Champions League final and having to go watch your multi-millionaire spoilt brat players in the FA cup final.

They should try being a City fan watching Andy D''Urso!

Precisely Jarrold. We have been in that situation so many times this season. Possibly the difference between Championship & League 1 for us - but at least our players didn''t act as spoilt as the Chelski brats.

However, further justification for video ref''s?

There behaviour at the end was well out of order.

Having said that I only watched the last 20 minutes when they had 2 absolutely nailed on penalties and they also had a couple in the first half as well. On any other day or with any other ref they would probably have had 2 or 3 penalties so I do have some sympathy for them!

Im sorry but i think if it was norwich in that situation and you saw our players do this to the referee you wouldnt be thinking ''thats a disgrace'' youd want to be in his face too! Disgraceful refereeing!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

the result means that for once the best two sides in Europe will meet in the final.

[/quote]Fully agree with this sentiment. Cheatski disgraced themselves tonight there was no protesting when Anelka tripped himself up for the sending off and IMO none of the penalty appeals were as clear cut as Souness protested. First one was a small very minor ''foul'' outside the box and I failed to see anything that might have caused the player to collapse so dramatically a few seconds later. Drogba was possibly a victim of his reputation for the second and if he''d stayed on his feet might have made the shirt tugging appear more relevant, the other two were ball to hand and both times the player was turning away from the ball and there was little distance or time to react.Not as nailed on as the pro British commentators might like us to believe.On the other hand the ''foul'' on Anelka was a farce he quite clearly caught his own heel with the other foot and the Ballack, Terry and Drogba abuse of the officials was not pretty.Ballack practically wrapped himself round the ref and screamed abuse, Terry showed the ''inner thug'' once again and Drogbas behaviour was inexcusable both to the ref and the camera.I hope Chelsea are fined and banned from the competition next year, the sight of Drogba pretending he has a head injury to stop the flow of Barcas play sickens me and I''ve had enough of that team.As Branston says the real winner over the two legs was football, as a result Barcelone went through and ''the result means that for once the best two sides in Europe will meet in the final.''

Chelsea were an embarrassment in both legs. What''s the point of spending hundreds and hundreds of millions on a football team if your only tactic in a Champions League semi-final is to get ten men behind the ball and hoof it into the corners. You expect it from a non-league team being drawn away to Premiership opposition in the FA Cup but this is one of the most expensively assembled squads in the history of football.As for the penalties, the only one I thought was a definite was Abidal''s tackle on Drogba in the first half. The foul by Alves was outside the box (no matter what the ''experts'' on Sky might say) and the two handball shouts looked unintentional. Abidal was also unlucky to be sent off as Anelka appeared to trip himself up.Barca vs Man Yoo is the dream final for the neutral anyway [:D]

I disagree with you, I don''t like Chelsea but to be fair to them you would give the referee hell after that performance, given what was at stake you can understand why tentions were running high. Chelsea were robbed tonight because of a shocking refereeing performance.

If anyone hasn''t seen it...[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/xmenfan/drogba.gif[/img]

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

the result means that for once the best two sides in Europe will meet in the final.

[/quote]

Fully agree with this sentiment.

Cheatski disgraced themselves tonight there was no protesting when Anelka tripped himself up for the sending off and IMO none of the penalty appeals were as clear cut as Souness protested. First one was a small very minor ''foul'' outside the box and I failed to see anything that might have caused the player to collapse so dramatically a few seconds later. Drogba was possibly a victim of his reputation for the second and if he''d stayed on his feet might have made the shirt tugging appear more relevant, the other two were ball to hand and both times the player was turning away from the ball and there was little distance or time to react.

Not as nailed on as the pro British commentators might like us to believe.

On the other hand the ''foul'' on Anelka was a farce he quite clearly caught his own heel with the other foot and the Ballack, Terry and Drogba abuse of the officials was not pretty.

Ballack practically wrapped himself round the ref and screamed abuse, Terry showed the ''inner thug'' once again and Drogbas behaviour was inexcusable both to the ref and the camera.

I hope Chelsea are fined and banned from the competition next year, the sight of Drogba pretending he has a head injury to stop the flow of Barcas play sickens me and I''ve had enough of that team.

As Branston says the real winner over the two legs was football, as a result Barcelone went through and ''the result means that for once the best two sides in Europe will meet in the final.''[/quote]

I thought that I didn''t like Chelski, but you are so obviously anti-Chelsea that it''s embarrassing1

[quote user="JimRoyle"]They were hiniting in the studio after the match that the referee was deliberately favouring Barca because UEFA didn''t want another all-English final, although that doesn''t explain why he sent off a Barca player![/quote]There''s a similar theme to most of the calls on You''re a Moron on Sky Sports right now [:|]

[quote user="Sing up the Jarrold"]Some Chelski fan just email SSN to say "I hope the ref knows how many people he left in tears". Oh what a hard life it must be missing out on the Champions League final and having to go watch your multi-millionaire spoilt brat players in the FA cup final. They should try being a City fan watching Andy D''Urso![/quote]

they dont know what there missing out on!

this just proves how much there fans are glory hunting w*nkers. crying cos your team didnt get through to the final of the biggest club competition in the world? i would be happy just to be in it. i wonder how many chelsea fans would be stil be supporting "there" erm club if they were in our mess

Speaking as a grass roots referee Chelsea were beyond disgraceful tonight. But the referee has to act on the night, what was the point in showing the first red card to Drogba if he didn''t have the balls to show him a second one when his behaviour got even more disgraceful. Manhandling the referee in anyway should be an automatic red card - a rule that needs to be changed, the yellow card for Ballack tugging back the referee while he was trying to do his job was unacceptable. When will the football gods of UEFA and the FA learn that such action needs immediate punishment and if they dont support the referees to stamp it out then football will simply turn into a shouting match!

[quote user="PBTC"]If anyone hasn''t seen it...[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/xmenfan/drogba.gif[/img][/quote]

And that from one of the biggest cheats in the game.  [:P]

Tw*t.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

I thought that I didn''t like Chelski, but you are so obviously anti-Chelsea that it''s embarrassing1

[/quote]Oh dear is it that obvious?Sorry but factor in the Henry penalty that never was in the first leg and the behaviour of certain Chelsea players time and again, the wrongful sending off and I cannot help but feel justice was done however incorrectly or indirectly.Chelsea tried to stifle 180 mins of Champions League football and paid the price ultimately for not being more adventurous. Drogba had a great chance to score, wrap the tie up and fluffed it but chose instead to blame and attack the referee after the final whistle.I have no affiliation or fondness for any team in this Euro League of Champions, runners up third and fourth placed teams and watch it solely for the football. I anticipate a better final between Man Utd and Barca than if Chelsea were playing so yes I am glad Chelsea lost but I''m sorry that decent players like Lampard, Cech and several others were let down on the biggest stage by the antics of their teammates once again. [img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01398/didier-drogba_1398000c.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="LinkNR9"]

[/quote]Oh dear is it that obvious?Sorry but factor in the Henry penalty that never was in the first leg and the behaviour of certain Chelsea players time and again, the wrongful sending off and I cannot help but feel justice was done however incorrectly or indirectly.Chelsea tried to stifle 180 mins of Champions League football and paid the price ultimately for not being more adventurous. Drogba had a great chance to score, wrap the tie up and fluffed it but chose instead to blame and attack the referee after the final whistle.I have no affiliation or fondness for any team in this Euro League of Champions, runners up third and fourth placed teams and watch it solely for the football. I anticipate a better final between Man Utd and Barca than if Chelsea were playing so yes I am glad Chelsea lost but I''m sorry that decent players like Lampard, Cech and several others were let down on the biggest stage by the antics of their teammates once again. [img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01398/didier-drogba_1398000c.jpg[/img][/quote]Lampard? Decent?

Hilarious stuff.But as someone on Wrath pointed out, evil beats evil. Pity they couldn''t both lose

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Chelsea were an embarrassment in both legs. What''s the point of spending hundreds and hundreds of millions on a football team if your only tactic in a Champions League semi-final is to get ten men behind the ball and hoof it into the corners. You expect it from a non-league team being drawn away to Premiership opposition in the FA Cup but this is one of the most expensively assembled squads in the history of football.

As for the penalties, the only one I thought was a definite was Abidal''s tackle on Drogba in the first half. The foul by Alves was outside the box (no matter what the ''experts'' on Sky might say) and the two handball shouts looked unintentional. Abidal was also unlucky to be sent off as Anelka appeared to trip himself up.

Barca vs Man Yoo is the dream final for the neutral anyway [:D]
[/quote]

Exactly.  You don''t deserve to win the Champions League if you put ten men behind the ball in the away leg.  Failing to score an away goal is one thing; failing even to go for it is another.  It left them vulnerable at home and in the end it cost them.  Some wrong decisions involving both sides by the ref but the right result in the end.

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]

I disagree with you, I don''t like Chelsea but to be fair to them you would give the referee hell after that performance, given what was at stake you can understand why tentions were running high. Chelsea were robbed tonight because of a shocking refereeing performance.

[/quote]No mate, they were ''robbed'' because they decided that one home goal was enough to win a two-legged semi-final and played that way for 180 minutes.  The ref was appalling, but he was so for both sides, seemingly sending off Abidal for an innoccuous tangle of legs with Anelka.Chelsea - and in particular Terry and Drogba - do this kind of thing time and again and get away with it, now is the time for Uefa to stamp down on it.  Chelsea have never complained when they''ve won dubious penalties or seen opposition players disciplined as a result of Drogba''s continued theatrics.  Its the hypocrisy which makes it even more disgraceful in my eyes.

To my mind, too many games, at any level, are  decided by the whim of the officials rather than the merits of the participating teams ![:@]

I am no Chelsea fan, quite the opposite, but to suggest that they were tactically poor last night is just bizarre! How can it be 90 mins of defending, they had all the best chances to score and 4 penalty appeals, 2 of which were pretty obvious. Barca had more possesion and did nothing with it, 1 shot on target in the 92nd min, how can people say they were the better team? drogba is a tw*t mind. Also, what about the behaviour of the guy how was sent off, worthy of disciplinary action as with Drogab and Ballack etc.

Abidal should have gone in the first half, stone wall penalty and the ref in the perfect positions to see it, I was shocked by the free kick decision, about 1 metre in the box.

Chelsea were poor??? They kept Barca to one shot on target in 90 minutes (which was an absolute screamer). and Kept a clean sheet at Nou Camp.

They had 3 stone wall penalities turned down. (I dont think the first one on Malouda was)

It would be interesting to see what you Chelsea-haters would  be thinking had that had been Norwich and them decisions had gone against us. And how you would be feeling had that be Lee Croft shouting at the camera and Jamie Cureton chasing the Ref.

Over two legs Chelsea played 2 very good games, should have had 3 penalities, scored a cracking goal. They were very unlucky and eventually lost to a stupid away goals rule.