Sign in to follow this  
norwich-red

Forest fan (in peace) - Get the RIGHT manager!

My 1st post on here but thought I''d share my thoughts as an exiled Forest fan who knows how you are all feeling.There are many similarities between that state Forest were in when we were relegated and Norwich now but you can learn from our experience and mistakes during our time in that god-foresaken league. In our first season we didn''t make the playoffs down to hesitating getting rid of Megson. It took care-taker managers from the backroom to ensure we didn''t get mired into a further relegation scrap, we were lucky.Colin Calderwood (or Clueless) came in and split fan opinion but got us into the playoffs in our second season before blowing it spectacularly against Yeovil, many wanted him out after that. I believe that in spite (rather than because) of Caldwood we were then promoted automatically on the last day of last season after Cheltenham got an unlikely win against Doncaster; again we were lucky. Calderwood was found out in this league and condemned us to another season long relegation scrap before we got rid, in the nick of time.The ONLY reason we survived this season is that we somehow FINALLY got it right in the manager department. Billy Davies has been a revelation. Don''t get me wrong, we could well struggle again next season but I haven''t been this optimistic for Forests prospects for many many years. Norwich are on the cusp of making a huge mistake in appointing Gunn, NOTHING is more important than getting the manager selection right. Of course, I maybe wrong but I talk from bitter experience. I could say more but I''m probably boring you now ...Finally, there is hope, and you might need to be patient (easier said than done I know). I genuinely hope your stay is briefer than ours but if you appoint Gunn I will expect a similar, painful experience to us.Anyways, chin up and I''ll see you in the 2010/2011 championshop playoff final! 

Cheers for that sobering thought.

Megson seems to be doing pretty well at Bolton - do you regret getting rid of him now?  Maybe he just needed a bit more time...

[quote user="rjwc22"]

Cheers for that sobering thought.

Megson seems to be doing pretty well at Bolton - do you regret getting rid of him now?  Maybe he just needed a bit more time...

[/quote]At the time we were imploding, Megson had to go.

I think its patently obvious to everyone ( and hopefully including the board) that if they get the next appointment wrong then at best we are condemned to League One mediocrity and probably a lot worse.

Nothing but nothing other than the right man for the job will do now!

Sadly i fear the board will once again be taken in by someone who tells them he can do the job even though his past record proves otherwise.

Yeh I totally agree with what you said forest red but try telling our board that will be very difficult as they will clearly just go for the option which costs them the least money so they can go and build another restaurant or conservatory.

On the subject of Megson I can still not understand how he has managed to go from getting forest in a league one relegation battle to being a premier league manager!

Despite still being a legend in my eyes he has been such an integral part of the clubs failure to be able to turn it around. Without doubt your make an excellent point because I can see us hanging on to Gunny for far too long next year because he is such a legend and because he is part of the set up, in the same way that sentiment caused them to keep hold of Worthy too long. We need a fresher approach with someone like Robins or Ince.

[quote user="ndhscanary"]

Yeh I totally agree with what you said forest red but try telling our board that will be very difficult as they will clearly just go for the option which costs them the least money so they can go and build another restaurant or conservatory.

On the subject of Megson I can still not understand how he has managed to go from getting forest in a league one relegation battle to being a premier league manager!

[/quote]I think Megson was part of a larger problem at Forest at the time and not the sole cause. We were probably in as big if not a bigger mess than Norwich, and we aint out of the woods yet, though we are currently in a clearing (if you follow me). I suppose you could compare him to Worthington, he probably had to go yet is doing OK in N Ireland.

[quote user="book end"]

Despite still being a legend in my eyes he has been such an integral part of the clubs failure to be able to turn it around. Without doubt your make an excellent point because I can see us hanging on to Gunny for far too long next year because he is such a legend and because he is part of the set up, in the same way that sentiment caused them to keep hold of Worthy too long. We need a fresher approach with someone like Robins or Ince.

[/quote]We also made a similar mistake with Stuart Pearce once when we were relegated from the Prem (I think in 96/97?). He wasn''t even close to being ready to manage then. Newcastle are also currently guilty of this misguided sentiment.

Interesting parallels in what Shearer is now saying about wanting to manage Newcastle next season "whatever happens" and what Gunny was saying a few weeks back!

Of course, I forgot to mention; where you had "prudence with ambition" we had "we''re serious about promotion, are you?" rammed down our throats the season that we went down to L1.spooky ...

Hope the board can accept that we need a manager whose got experience with managing in the lower leagues. I''ll be very dissapointed if they choose Gunn...

Bracing myself for another bas decision by Delia''s board of Plonkers