Sign in to follow this  
cor blast bor

IS GUNN A LEGEND?

rubbish. you''re saying this because of his time at united? Andy Goram was an excellent keeper also. Gunn is a legend and in his day was one of the best.

[quote user="The Chirp"]rubbish. you''re saying this because of his time at united? Andy Goram was an excellent keeper also. Gunn is a legend and in his day was one of the best. [/quote] If Gunn was one of the best he would have been snapped up by a big club , he was decent nomore than that.

gunn is a legend...just not as much as keelen.....and just isnt a manager.....or a motivator.......or a tacticition.....or a talent scout.....

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]What a joke the fans have become that we''re now starting not just to slate the guy, but to question his status in NCFC history as well! Huckerby isn''t the best striker or winger that the club has ever had, but he is, without doubt, a legend.  Likewise Iwan.  Dean Ashton is arguably (in terms of technical ability) one of the best, but a legend he is not.  Ability doesn''t come into it - passion and commitment are just two of the values that can launch a player to such a level and Gunn had those in bucketloads.I really can''t wait for there to be some resolution to this whole debacle so that, maybe, you lot can start to think straight.........[/quote]Summed it up perfectly. All the points about how he is not the best keeper we ever had are irrelevent, of course you need to have ability to play but its other factors that make you a legend. There were many better keepers than Gunn in football at the time but it doesnt stop the man being a Norwich Legend. As EM says nobody is questioning Hucks legend status yet in terms of ability he was not the best striker to ever pull on the shirt.

Your new post name for the future!!     gunngrantroederdisaster

Sorry could not resist it!!!

[quote user="canary cherub "]

His status as a legend is utterly irrelevent to his suitability as a manager.

[/quote]

Yes, but his unsuitability for the manager''s job is also irrelevant to his status as a legend.

I have written clearly on here that Gunn is not the man for the manager''s job, but the personal criticism he is getting is ludicrous. Evil Monkey has it spot on.

It is not a question of whether he was our best goalkeeper - I would suggest that Woods and Green were better in my time, and I can believe those who also nominate Nethercott, Keelan et al.

The point is that he was the beating heart of our greatest ever team. A bunch of pretty good footballers who were moulded through good coaching and lots of alcohol into a great side who stood (literally in Gunn''s case) toe-to-toe with Bayern Munich and Inter Milan.

If the term City Legend means anything, then Gunn is one.

It''s possible to oppose his appointment and still respect the man. Get off his back.

[quote user="MARTIN"]

A lot of supporters on this site are calling Gunn a legend,I must say as a supporter of NCFC for the past 50 odd years he is way down in my estimation, for a start he could not lace Keelans boots!!

For what its worth the following are in my view the keepers who I have watched over the years and in the order of greatness.

1. K. Keelan  A True legendWink [;)]

2. K. Nethercott   Great

3. R. Green  Great

4 C. Woods   Great

5 B.Gunn     Good

6 S. Kennon   Good

7. Marshall   Average,Crying [:''(]

I think the Board and Roeder sold or (gave away) the best prospect we had in J. Lewis who would have been streets ahead of Marshall who I think is one of the worst 1st team keepers we have had.I believe that Gunn is way down the list as far as a legend is concerned,there can only be 1 legend of of a keeper for NCFC and Keelan has that mantle!!!

What are others views?

[/quote]

Leg - end springs to mind!

This isnt even a question, yes 100% he is a true legend. I dont think he was our best ever goal keeper, but that doesnt mean he isnt a club legend.

1- he was part of the 93 team

2- he palyed 500 times for city

3- he played 2days after his daughters death, which is unbelievable commitment to the team.

4- he has stayed at the club ever since his retirment, unlike others eg Bowen, Culverhouse etc.

not even a question, altho he is a poor manager

[quote user="cockers85"]

This isnt even a question, yes 100% he is a true legend. I dont think he was our best ever goal keeper, but that doesnt mean he isnt a club legend.

3- he played 2days after his daughters death, which is unbelievable commitment to the team.

4- he has stayed at the club ever since his retirment, unlike others eg Bowen, Culverhouse etc.

[/quote]

Ill refraise ........Leg-end in the managerial sense!

[quote user="cockers85"]

[/quote]Thankyou. well put