Sign in to follow this  
cor blast bor

IS GUNN A LEGEND?

A lot of supporters on this site are calling Gunn a legend,I must say as a supporter of NCFC for the past 50 odd years he is way down in my estimation, for a start he could not lace Keelans boots!!

For what its worth the following are in my view the keepers who I have watched over the years and in the order of greatness.

1. K. Keelan  A True legendWink [;)]

2. K. Nethercott   Great

3. R. Green  Great

4 C. Woods   Great

5 B.Gunn     Good

6 S. Kennon   Good

7. Marshall   Average,Crying [:''(]

I think the Board and Roeder sold or (gave away) the best prospect we had in J. Lewis who would have been streets ahead of Marshall who I think is one of the worst 1st team keepers we have had.I believe that Gunn is way down the list as far as a legend is concerned,there can only be 1 legend of of a keeper for NCFC and Keelan has that mantle!!!

What are others views?

Completely agree with that summary........................

[quote user="cody mcdonalds farmhand"]He was part of the 93 squad. And for me he showed his comiment to the club when he played just days after his daughter had died.

[/quote]SPOT ON [Y]

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Keelan , Woods and Green were all better keepers , Gunn didnt even make it to Scotlands number 1 at a time when Scottish keepers were seen as a joke .
[/quote]jim leighton a joke?????????? HE WAS A VERY VERY GOOD KEEPER and around about the same time as Gunny if my memory serves me..please correct me if im wrong

[quote]at a time when Scottish keepers were seen as a joke .[/quote]

They pretty much still are.

Personal circumstances dont come into it, plenty of people have lost children and carried on with their lives. He was in the fortunate position that he could raise money through his profile. That doesnt make him a legend.

He was a pretty ordinary Keeper and has been lucky enough to be able to stick with our club,And It''s not as if he did it for nothing, he''s been getting paid very well for being a ''legend''

Not in my eyes

[quote user="shyster"]Are you kidding? Jim Leighton was an absolute disaster of a goalkeeper.
[/quote]635 apperances....3-4 years at man.utd....yeah an absolute disaster...and i think he won the cup winners cup...what a joke of a keeper [:|]

Legend.

Real shame to see what is happening to him.  I for one want him kept at the club, just not as manager.

Driver perhaps? but no that would put Gossy out of a job.

What a joke the fans have become that we''re now starting not just to slate the guy, but to question his status in NCFC history as well! Huckerby isn''t the best striker or winger that the club has ever had, but he is, without doubt, a legend.  Likewise Iwan.  Dean Ashton is arguably (in terms of technical ability) one of the best, but a legend he is not.  Ability doesn''t come into it - passion and commitment are just two of the values that can launch a player to such a level and Gunn had those in bucketloads.I really can''t wait for there to be some resolution to this whole debacle so that, maybe, you lot can start to think straight.........

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="shyster"]Are you kidding? Jim Leighton was an absolute disaster of a goalkeeper.[/quote]635 apperances....3-4 years at man.utd....yeah an absolute disaster...and i think he won the cup winners cup...what a joke of a keeper [:|][/quote]

Get outta here!  He played 73 times for Manure behind a notable defense - the other 562 appearances were for crappy Scottish sides, accept for 8 outings for the then mighty Reading on loan.

He was shitski.

Listen, just because some fans dont agree with you it doesnt make them a joke ok!  Bryan Gunn is lucky to have had a good career in football, and then be retained to do a job for the club on the Commercial side of the Club. That doesnt make him a Legend. That makes him an employee..........

Take a look in the real world old son and tell me anyone who would''nt swap places with him and do any of his jobs at half the money he gets paid.

If he thought anything about our club he''d walk away, but no! not our legend he wants to dig a bigger hole and keep getting paid for it..........

Yes, absolutely.

Best goalkeeper to ever pull on a Norwich shirt in my opinion, during my 37 years of watching the Canaries.

[quote user="stellayella"]Have no idea how this site works but thanks evil monkey restored my faith a little[/quote]

There''s an old saying..."dont p1$$ up my back and tell me its raining"    work it out!

[quote user="shyster"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="shyster"]Are you kidding? Jim Leighton was an absolute disaster of a goalkeeper.
[/quote]635 apperances....3-4 years at man.utd....yeah an absolute disaster...and i think he won the cup winners cup...what a joke of a keeper [:|][/quote]

Get outta here!  He played 73 times for Manure behind a notable defense - the other 562 appearances were for crappy Scottish sides, accept for 8 outings for the then mighty Reading on loan.

He was shitski.
[/quote]im not saying he was the best keeper in the world...but he was a GOOD keeper....i wish i had played at his level for 635 games....what im saying is you dont play 635 times if you are total s h i t e

[quote user="canary cherub "]

His status as a legend is utterly irrelevent to his suitability as a manager.

[/quote]I don''t recall seeing anyone say that it is..........

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="shyster"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="shyster"]Are you kidding? Jim Leighton was an absolute disaster of a goalkeeper.[/quote]635 apperances....3-4 years at man.utd....yeah an absolute disaster...and i think he won the cup winners cup...what a joke of a keeper [:|][/quote]

He was shitski.[/quote]im not saying he was the best keeper in the world...but he was a GOOD keeper....i wish i had played at his level for 635 games....what im saying is you dont play 635 times if you are total s h i t e[/quote]

You do if your face fits.I could list a detailed list of so called footballers who should never have kicked a ball in earnest, but I will only provide you with one example, and it''s one of our own, here: Kevin Bond - how he ever made nigh on 600 outings in the football arena is beyond comprehension.Oh of course - he was related to somebody in the business.  [:P]

Silly question!

Of course he is!

While he wasn''t the best keeper we ever had he did play in our best ever sides that came 3rd, 4th and 5th in the top flight and went 3 rounds in the UEFA cup!

As for his abilities as manager - well I feel he deserves another chance next season but the jurys out on whether we''ll come good with him at the helm?

All this mass critiscism of the guy is getting OTT, afterall he did rtake over a very poisoned chalice! 

He at least had the bottle to take the job on, I don''t think for a second it was forced upon him. He''s a legend. Call him a publicity whore if you really must, call him oddjob, call him whatever. At least he gives a f*ck about the club unlike some of the turds that have worn our colours, especially in recent times. (I''m looking at YOU Carney! You piece of trash!)

Where''s the bottle in taking the job, I''d have taken it if offered it. He was a good keeper but not a legend in my book. Superlatives in sport are too easily offered out in this day and I think how he handled himself when he lost his daughter does deserve total respect.

I also care about the results but that doesn''t make me a contender for the job, maybe Gunny just wants the security of a contract if it all goes wrong.

He was a footballer player...thats it. he got paid, then was lucky enough to be taken on by the club as an employee.     I sometimes wonder where you get all those rose coloured glasses from.

What about Goss? he scored a ''wonder'' goal he works for the club! Legend? or Employee? Dave stringer! Legend? Where does it start and where does it end?

It''s just opinion and really means nothing. At the moment Gunn was the manager that took us down and rightly or wrongly he''s the one that will be remembered for that. He wants to carry on in the job when it is obvious bto a blindman and his dog that he was totally useless at it.

So if you want to know why he''s getting stick then Ask Him!

Dear me there is some crap being written on here........

As usual Shyster and my newly respected poster MTV are spot on.

Jock goalkeepers on the whole are crap.... and Gunn was nothing special. Short memories and limited experience of watching City over the years is all that makes Gunn a name.

Time he was booted out and made to work for a living.