Sign in to follow this  
Fluff

Time for a breather

I am not a fan of the board in any shape or form, and my previous posts have shown that, but I am slightly amazed by some of the speak on here as well as the ''kick a man'' scenario thats currently being reported on a daily basis.

I have no doubt what so ever that Delia didnt initially come to the club to help, but that turned into a collective board agenda that has gone arse over tit, but when you start getting ''millionairre businessmen'' coming out of the shadows saying this and saying that about how they were ignored and such, it somewhat stinks as much as the board themselves and Doncaster''s PR excercises!

Ultimately things are not right, and for once the fans are having bit of a backlash.  You can only sweep crap under a carpet for so long until it starts to show or smell rotten, and Delia and co are now finding this out, but its easy to announce that you wanted to help once, as you know the fans will automatically see you as the good guy. 

So my first question is this.  If you tried to help and was ignored, why didnt you announce it then to the press, and if you did offer help, was it a genuine financial package with the view to run the club, or was it just a ploy to make yourself a few bob?

At this moment in time, the club needs constructive ideas as to how it survives.  Sack the board, get in Cullum (what happened to him???) or hang, draw and quarter Doncaster (my preferred option) are all easy things to say.  But in reality what does need to happen?  If we can give the true answers on here, then we shouldnt be on here but running clubs ourselves.  All I am saying is take a step back and look at the big picture before pledging alliegence to any Tom, Dick or Harry.

[quote]At this moment in time, the club needs constructive

ideas as to how it survives.  Sack the board, get in Cullum (what

happened to him???) or hang, draw and quarter Doncaster (my preferred

option) are all easy things to say.  But in reality what does need to

happen?  If we can give the true answers on here, then we shouldnt be

on here but running clubs ourselves.  All I am saying is take a step

back and look at the big picture before pledging alliegence to any Tom,

Dick or Harry.[/quote]Thoroughly agree Fluff.   It''s one thing saying Doomy Out, Mumbles Out, etc, but an entirely different thing looking at what happens afterwards.  For example, let''s say Doomy was thanked for his services then asked to clear his desk, if his replacement is Doomy Mk II, then nothing has been achieved, apart from making a scapregoat so that Tilly can wave Doomys or Mumbles'' head about to the assembled throng at St Andrews'' Hall.  Letting the board get off that easily would in my opinion be a travesty.  What seems to be achingly apparent to all (yes, even me) is that some form of sports management or football management expertise is missing from the boardroom.  To that end it strikes me that the likes of the NCISA (as they are making the running currently) should be targetting a successful CEO or board member of a successful lower league / championship team, or other sporting team (their choice, although I must admit to being stumped to think of one) and making overtures for that person to come on board. Same with a manager.  Pick one, and then let everyone know that he is who the fans want.  Have a poll at St Andrews or wherever, run facebook groups, whatever it takes so that the target and the board are under no misunderstanding that this person is who the fans want.   Mark robins thinks we currently have a manager, which is news to me because I thought ours was out of contract.

That''s been the issue all along though.  The board have never really had a ''plan'' as such for the team side of the business.  When I look at Peterborough and what they have acheived, I hold my hands up and say well done, as it was only 4 years ago they looked doomed.  In came a chairman with ambition but not too much cash, kept Fry on in a board come mangement role, appointed a young hungry manager and worried about that first.  The stadium is an absolute hole, but ultimately they have back to back promotions and I wouldnt bet against them being up there next year.

Years ago when Bennett was the chief executive, his role also included overseeing the youth side of things.  Can you see that happening now apart from appointing another PR excercise in Ricky Martin.  Do the board even know the names of the coaches there let alone what type of coach they are?  I spent 5 years scouting up there so sort of know the answer!!

The board has to concentrate on sorting a set up that will ONLY benefit the first team, and we as supporters should be demanding nothing but that.  I couldnt give a toss about fixtures and fittings as long as I am enjoying my team playing and can see progress.

Who manages the first team is only part of, its about managing the club top to bottom and having a long term plan to not only start winning things, but self suppling the players to deliver.  No doubt more money is spent on the youth than ever before, but if the wrong person is coaching against what the club is about then you have fallen at the first hurdle.

We want a club that knows what it wants, hopes to achieve (realistically) and how to get there.  If a player wants to join, then its on those terms not theirs.  Only then can we start to hold our heads up again.

Fluff, you speak so much sense that I''m going to call you a board apologist/Delia lover just to get it out of the way...............As Blah says, getting such reasonable and rational thoughts heard on this board and in the public domain is proving somewhat tricky.  You could go to St Andrews Hall next week and say all that out loud, but you know in the back of the mind that there''ll be someone tutting and sneering through it...........

I didn''t want to upset Tilly and co. by suggesting that there might be childish behaviour from some members of the audience next week....... perish the thought.....

I''m disappointed at the lack of response Fluffs'' opinions have received.  Maybe because it''s harder to be contructive than to shout x or y out - but where has that ever got us ?