Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Be honest, Is anyone secretly looking forward to league one?!?

If we''re all being honest the last three championshp campaigns have been a tedious old slog, from two season''s ago when Simon Lappins last minute free-kick at Luton saved us, to last season escaping relegation against QPR on the penultimate match, and then this -when the inevitable finally caught us up.

The fact is as each season has gone by we have become less and less able to compete at this level - where the vast majority of away games virtually had to be written off before they were played beacuse you just knew that we wouldn''t get anything from them.

It used to be said of the championship that anyone could beat anyone and there was a chance of winning each and every match home and away. Well wouldn''t it be good to getting back to that way of thinking in league one?, where there are no lost causes , no away trips,travelling in hope rather than expectation, a chance of winning every match?

Rememeber the novelty of playing a lower league side away in the cup ?, well we''ve got 23 FA Cup 3rd round matches away!, no more tedious and fruitless trips to Brammall Lane,Hillsborough, Turf Moor,Hawthorns or Deepdale where we all knew the outcome beforehand!

Not really  , its ok talking about getting back to winning ways but with Gunn in charge and a much weakened team there is every chance we may well struggle for wins even in that league . Our record in cup competitions against lower league teams in recent years is none to brilliant and that was with a Championship side.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

If we''re all being honest the last three championshp campaigns have been a tedious old slog, from two season''s ago when Simon Lappins last minute free-kick at Luton saved us, to last season escaping relegation against QPR on the penultimate match, and then this -when the inevitable finally caught us up.

The fact is as each season has gone by we have become less and less able to compete at this level - where the vast majority of away games virtually had to be written off before they were played beacuse you just knew that we wouldn''t get anything from them.

It used to be said of the championship that anyone could beat anyone and there was a chance of winning each and every match home and away. Well wouldn''t it be good to getting back to that way of thinking in league one?, where there are no lost causes , no away trips,travelling in hope rather than expectation, a chance of winning every match?

Rememeber the novelty of playing a lower league side away in the cup ?, well we''ve got 23 FA Cup 3rd round matches away!, no more tedious and fruitless trips to Brammall Lane,Hillsborough, Turf Moor,Hawthorns or Deepdale where we all knew the outcome beforehand!

[/quote]

Do you need a number for a taxi?

Might get some stick here. Not going to say yes and resign to the fact that my team has let me down again, but good old norwich blah blah blah blah. And like Hucks has said it might get worse before it gets better! And We are not certain for promotion. But what i am excited about is what lies install, as in we all know a massive shakedown from top to bottom is needed, and the sooner the better.

We should be able to compete better financially with other teams in League 1.  I read somewhere that 14 Championship clubs were wealthier than Norwich this season, so it''s no surprise we have been scrapping around in the bottom half of the table.

The crucial task is assembling the playing squad. We need to get the following right: 1) Which players we keep. 2) Which players we buy. 3) Keeping the wage bill in proportion.  4) Keeping the balance right regarding loan players (i.e. very few!)

I think nearly all our players could be quite effective at League One Level. Having watched some League 2 football this season we have more quality than that League, yet obviously not enough for the Championship! But we need to introduce some fresh blood to revitalise a team jaded by relegation. It is crucial to get this mixture right.

What I''m looking forward to is a change of luck. If you play poker you sometimes have game after game when your cards are rubbish, but you know it''ll turn around at some point. All the bad refereeing decisions/twists of fate were meant to even out over the season just gone. Yet they didn''t! We must be due something soon, hopefully first day of the season!

[quote user="venta icenorum"]

We should be able to compete better financially with other teams in League 1.  I read somewhere that 14 Championship clubs were wealthier than Norwich this season, so it''s no surprise we have been scrapping around in the bottom half of the table.

The crucial task is assembling the playing squad. We need to get the following right: 1) Which players we keep. 2) Which players we buy. 3) Keeping the wage bill in proportion.  4) Keeping the balance right regarding loan players (i.e. very few!)

I think nearly all our players could be quite effective at League One Level. Having watched some League 2 football this season we have more quality than that League, yet obviously not enough for the Championship! But we need to introduce some fresh blood to revitalise a team jaded by relegation. It is crucial to get this mixture right.

What I''m looking forward to is a change of luck. If you play poker you sometimes have game after game when your cards are rubbish, but you know it''ll turn around at some point. All the bad refereeing decisions/twists of fate were meant to even out over the season just gone. Yet they didn''t! We must be due something soon, hopefully first day of the season!

[/quote]

I can draw some solace from the fact that where clubs of a ''certain'' size have been relegated to this level over the past 8-10 years (Man City,Sheff Weds,QPR,Leicester,Nottm Forest and possibly Leeds) they do seem to be able to get back reasonably quickly, whether a clubs resources at this level just naturally evelvates them above smaller clubs I don''t know, I guess we''re about to find out!

No, not secretly, publically or in any shape or form. It''s a disaster and we will take years to recover from this latest relegation should the present people continue on the same old path.

What I am looking forward to is that considering our new position within football, something WILL, at last have to be done at the top level to sustain and move on this club from its present and past small time thinking and amateur handling of finances, ideas, player contracts, managerial appointments and so on.

But just the mere thought of a once proud winning club at this level leaves me very angry and very sad.

No. Had we avoided the drop, we would have had a better chance of climbing back to Championship mid-table (after consolidating our team) than bouncing back from League 1.  And if, as Hucks suggests, it is going to be worse before it gets better, I see us flirting with L2 any time soon. 

I am looking forward to the start of a new era at CR, just sad that it had to be in League 1.

I think we will certainly win more games next season than last but also think expectations will be a lot higher and so drawing at home to Carlisle or losing at Yeovil will hurt more than some of our results in the Champ.

The only redeeming factors are the potential promotion pushes, Huckerby''s seemingly inevitable return and on a personal note as a student the tickets will be even cheaper. Just as I get some more hours at work as well. Bingo. Having said that, I''d still pay for tickets no matter what league we are in so long as I''m free from Uni/work commitments. A promotion push is all well and good but League 1 will be far tougher than we think. And nobody knows what role Huckerby will play when he returns of if he will even return this year in general.

No I''m not looking forward to league 1, the only positives for me are the fact that we have a better chance of playing in the play off final at Wembley and our relegation will hopefully force changes at boardroom level.

I am hopeful that we will all be a bit more optimistic in a month or twos time once changes have been made at the club.

At the moment it is hard to think about Norwich and be anything but disappointed.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]

No. Had we avoided the drop, we would have had a better chance of climbing back to Championship mid-table (after consolidating our team) than bouncing back from League 1.  And if, as Hucks suggests, it is going to be worse before it gets better, I see us flirting with L2 any time soon. 

[/quote]

I see absolutely no reason tho believe that that would have happened, the club would have just carried on regardless.

I know where you are coming from GJL and for what it''s worth I agree. Obviously as everyone says, we need the current situation resolved, but once it is and the dust has settled, we will hopefully have a new manager and some new players that we don''t know very well.

I think we will all benefit from a clean slate and a clean football experience. New teams, even new competitions like the JPT will blow the cobwebs away. It will be annoying when we inevitably lose against an Exeter or Wycombe but after our cup capitulations of recent years we should already be used to this!

We may not progress above midtable next year, but if we can restructure the squad and move out the uncommitted high-wage earners in place of youngsters and cheap but hungry lower leaguers, and if we as fans can unite again and start enjoying our football, with the knowledge that away days aren''t automatic write-offs, then we may just have gained something as a club by the whole experience.

Yes I am a bit I have to admit. Its still a disaster and a disgrace that we are down there but I am looking forward to it on certain levels. Firstly i very much hope this will be a new start for the club and may finally spur us into sorting ourselves out. Mainly, however, I am looking forward to going to quite a lot of new grounds, playing some different teams, some terracing and hopefully seeing a team full of young, motivated players play for the club. Plus we don''t have to go to Selhurst Park. Who knows we may even win quite a few games!

Think it will lose its novelty after the first season though!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Yes I am a bit I have to admit. Its still a disaster and a disgrace that we are down there but I am looking forward to it on certain levels. Firstly i very much hope this will be a new start for the club and may finally spur us into sorting ourselves out. Mainly, however, I am looking forward to going to quite a lot of new grounds, playing some different teams, some terracing and hopefully seeing a team full of young, motivated players play for the club. Plus we don''t have to go to Selhurst Park. Who knows we may even win quite a few games!

Think it will lose its novelty after the first season though!

[/quote]

How could I forget Selhurst Park. That should really have been at the top of my list in my OP

[quote] well we''ve got 23 FA Cup 3rd round matches away![/quote]Er, are they the ones we tend to lose in recent years ?  God, I''m starting to sound like Smudger.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I can draw some solace from the fact that where clubs of a ''certain'' size have been relegated to this level over the past 8-10 years (Man City,Sheff Weds,QPR,Leicester,Nottm Forest and possibly Leeds) they do seem to be able to get back reasonably quickly, whether a clubs resources at this level just naturally evelvates them above smaller clubs I don''t know, I guess we''re about to find out!

[/quote]My team Forest took 3 seasons to get up, as might Leeds. Trust me, 3 years in that league is not a reasonably quick return. It is a bloody nightmare.

Provided there''s changes in the boardroom, new investment, a committed team with only a minimum of loanees, and a decent manager... and then we get off to a good start, then yes i''ll look forward to league 1.

Just need to hope that the changes happen sooner rather than later.

I''m not looking forward to league one by any means but I''d say I''m mildly curious.. New team, stadiums etc.. Think it will be an interesting season yet a difficult one. Every team will raise their game to play us and consider it one of their biggest games of the season.

Yeah I''m really looking forward to it! The hour that the nurses let me out of my room into exercise area, prior to my medication, is always spent dreaming proudly of Norwich in the third division. Maybe it will mean we reach the semi finals of the FA Cup like we did when were last there! Happy days.

If it means a new beginning come August without Smith and her Royal Court in place.... yes.

To have our club back and irrespective of results I will be back at the ground enjoying my football again. New teams to play and a fresh perspective.... great!

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

If it means a new beginning come August without Smith and her Royal Court in place.... yes.

To have our club back and irrespective of results I will be back at the ground enjoying my football again. New teams to play and a fresh perspective.... great!

[/quote]What on earth makes you think that they are interested in going anywhere ?  If anything they are likely to try to "right the wrong".

No doubt we will all be looking forward to the start of the next season no matter what league we are in because there is always that hope that we will do the business at the beginning of every season - we can all moan and groan about what league we are in but dont tell me that we wont be sitting at the first home game of the season willing us on to victory just as we are every year - we are such a fickle lot - if bryan is in charge and we win the first five games we will all be saying what a decision it was to keep him on yet bring in a new manager and lose three out of the first five and we will all be shouting for his head - just wait and see what happens   

Footballs football, and especially since i was 12 onwards, i''ve found it very hard to keep away from it all. Not looking forward to the prospect of League One, the type of grounds we''ll be playing at, nor the (generally speaking of course) quality of footbal we''re likely to see.The only thing i will be happy to see, hopefully, is once again a team that is committed to playing for Norwich.

I''m looking forward to meeting new fans and seeing new places.

I''m not looking forward to the lower standard of football, lower standard of facilities at away grounds, every single away team seeing us as "big fish in a small pound" and treating us as a cup final and perhaps worst of all Yeovil on a Tuesday night. 

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

[/quote]

What on earth makes you think that they are interested in going anywhere ?  If anything they are likely to try to "right the wrong".
[/quote]

We can all live in hope can''t we?....

If not I''ll just have to be a miserable git on here again all season.

[quote user="RN Canary"]Might get some stick here. Not going to say yes and resign to the fact that my team has let me down again, but good old norwich blah blah blah blah. And like Hucks has said it might get worse before it gets better! And We are not certain for promotion. But what i am excited about is what lies install, as in we all know a massive shakedown from top to bottom is needed, and the sooner the better.[/quote]

Yeah I hope the shakedown thing from top to bottom happens, I don''t believe it would have happened had we scraped a fluke late winner and kept ourselves up- everyone at the club would have been too busy congratulating each other for that.

Hopefully the relegation has forced hands and caused a seismic shift in what is acceptable to pass as success.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]

[quote user="RN Canary"]Might get some stick here. Not going to say yes and resign to the fact that my team has let me down again, but good old norwich blah blah blah blah. And like Hucks has said it might get worse before it gets better! And We are not certain for promotion. But what i am excited about is what lies install, as in we all know a massive shakedown from top to bottom is needed, and the sooner the better.[/quote]

Yeah I hope the shakedown thing from top to bottom happens, I don''t believe it would have happened had we scraped a fluke late winner and kept ourselves up- everyone at the club would have been too busy congratulating each other for that.

Hopefully the relegation has forced hands and caused a seismic shift in what is acceptable to pass as success.

[/quote]

had barnsley lost of course.