Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

why i hate the plastic footy fan!

we probably all know them.. the Manchester utd, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelski "fan". the person who sits in the pub or office and bleats on all day about Wayne rooney.

At work today i was sitting on a break with some colleagues, around 14 o so discussing their team.. all them "support" big 4 sides.. only 1 of them has ever been to the emirates to actually see their team.

I decided today i have actually had enough of their bleeting on about a club with which

1. They have no affinity

2. they dont go and see unless Sky shows them

and

3. they know very Little about.

so i decided to speak my mind... most of them just gave me a bewildered look. one of them tried arguing about how devestated he was about Chelski losing last night.., he is 30 years old and has been "supporting" chelsea since 1999!!!!! hardly bloody impressive at all!

Where were these fans when Alex Ferguson was just 1 game from the sack in the 80''s?

Where were the chelsea fans when Kerry Dixon was scoring in front of 10,000 people at the bridge in the 2nd tier of English football in the late 80''s and early 90''s?

Did they actually realise that Arsenal existed before Wenger came along as a boring mid table side managed by boring managers who hadnt had any success in years?

they all said to me it was sour grapes... until i pointed out that i can actualyl watch my team, i am proud to be associated with them and as the Countys only side am proud of the clubs history. I admitted that i was disapointed that we were in league 1 but thought it was bloody pathetic how the Chelsea "fans" were c omplaining they had lost the semi final of the champions league.. but were still in the FA cup final.

How truly heart braking it must be supporting 200 million quids worth of talent who win every week? who are covered on TV continuosly, who are treated as gods when they overcome Barcelona in the FA cup.

Boo bloody hoo if they lose in the champions league.. they really have no idear how to appreciate the team they supposedly "support".

the only money they spend on fllowing their team is sticking it in Rupert Murdochs back pocket for his white elephant cash coo that is sky.

B****ks to the top 4 its plastic fans and europe.

bring on league 1 and the fact i can see my team, can be proud when we do acheive success and dont for a second take it for granted....

the sooner the big 4 go away the better

jas :)

Jas I totally agree with everything you''ve put.

Did I just say that?

We all know the fans, and god I hate them. I''d much rather watch us battle and give everything in League 1 than support a team with Ronaldo or Drogba just diving and throwing their toys out of the pram.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Beaker and Henry sitting in a tree.. because they are the same person ;)

[/quote]Jas and Smudger - have you ever seen them in the same room together?

That is a top post Jas and I am sure a lot of us can relate to that...Before I got my current job, I used to do voluntary work at a charity shop, and we had one (unfeasibly irritating, it has to be said) guy who ''worked'' with us, from Cromer, who ''supported'' Man Utd, and was banging on about what a loyal fan he was as he still supported them when they went four years without a title between 2003 and 2007! This was just before the end of last season, and I responded with "that''s nothing compared to supporting a team struggling to stay in the Championship", to which he said "yeah, true" and quietly let it slip (and to be honest there are plenty of teams even worse off than us who people stick by that I could have used as examples).Real supporters, of any club - great. But I feel sorry for ''plastic'' fans - they think they feel it but they have no idea what''s it like to support a club during really bad times, and they never really appreciate success either. They have no idea what supporting a football team is all about and I honestly do not envy them at all.

But there are plenty and plenty of fans who, like you and I support their club properly and go to all the games etc. I know plenty of Gooners who have been going since they were nippers. But I agree there are plenty of people like you said. I just ignore them and can''t be bothered to respond to it.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]But there are plenty and plenty of fans who, like you and I support their club properly and go to all the games etc. I know plenty of Gooners who have been going since they were nippers. But I agree there are plenty of people like you said. I just ignore them and can''t be bothered to respond to it.[/quote]Spot on

we probably all know them.. the Manchester utd, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelski "fan". the person who sits in the pub or office and bleats on all day about Wayne rooney.

At work today i was sitting on a break with some colleagues, around 14 o so discussing their team.. all them "support" big 4 sides.. only 1 of them has ever been to the emirates to actually see their team.

I decided today i have actually had enough of their bleeting on about a club with which

1. They have no affinity

and

so i decided to speak my mind... most of them just gave me a bewildered look. one of them tried arguing about how devestated he was about Chelski losing last night.., he is 30 years old and has been "supporting" chelsea since 1999!!!!! hardly bloody impressive at all!

Where were these fans when Alex Ferguson was just 1 game from the sack in the 80''s?

Where were the chelsea fans when Kerry Dixon was scoring in front of 10,000 people at the bridge in the 2nd tier of English football in the late 80''s and early 90''s?

Did they actually realise that Arsenal existed before Wenger came along as a boring mid table side managed by boring managers who hadnt had any success in years?

they all said to me it was sour grapes... until i pointed out that i can actualyl watch my team, i am proud to be associated with them and as the Countys only side am proud of the clubs history. I admitted that i was disapointed that we were in league 1 but thought it was bloody pathetic how the Chelsea "fans" were c omplaining they had lost the semi final of the champions league.. but were still in the FA cup final.

How truly heart braking it must be supporting 200 million quids worth of talent who win every week? who are covered on TV continuosly, who are treated as gods when they overcome Barcelona in the FA cup.

Boo bloody hoo if they lose in the champions league.. they really have no idear how to appreciate the team they supposedly "support".

the only money they spend on fllowing their team is sticking it in Rupert Murdochs back pocket for his white elephant cash coo that is sky.

bring on league 1 and the fact i can see my team, can be proud when we do acheive success and dont for a second take it for granted....

[/quote]Yeah Jas, could be worse, we could be in a champions league final like Man Utd

Makes me laugh when people ask how the sky 4 fans dont get bored when their teams win every week and that. Ignore the hangers on, everyone successful has them. Even we''ve had them.And for the record Man Utd have the best away support in the country.

[quote user="zlatan"]Makes me laugh when people ask how the sky 4 fans dont get bored when their teams win every week and that. Ignore the hangers on, everyone successful has them. Even we''ve had them.And for the record Man Utd have the best away support in the country.[/quote]If city ever joined the big four (highly unlikey), would that make us glory hunters?I think you always want to support a winning team and just because some lucky people actually do, people on a city message board don''t really have a right to criticise them for it.

1. They have no affinity

and

[/quote]

you''ve got to love those plastic fans.............

Try it in America! Some are very knowledgeable but some know so little. I know one guy who claimed he was a bigger Man U fan than I was Norwich fan but didnt know who scored the goals in the 1999 champions league final. A group at the bar I watch the football in were saying how amazing it was that Man U were in the Champions league final with so many ''youth'' players in which they included Ronaldo, Rooney and Anderson.Howewver they are just as bad in England, just they dont have the very loud voices to go with it [:D]

[quote user="Henry VIII"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Beaker and Henry sitting in a tree.. because they are the same person ;)

[/quote]

Jas and Smudger - have you ever seen them in the same room together?
[/quote]

yes at the supporters forum on monday.. now, about you and beaker?

[quote user="zlatan"]
And for the record Man Utd have the best away support in the country.
[/quote]

Of course they do! They have fans all over the country who get to see their team once a year when they visit their local towns/city''s!

1. They have no affinity

and

[/quote]

Just give them a random quick fire questions about their team and then laugh when you know more than they do. I have a mate at uni who claims to be a Spurs fan. He also wears his Spurs shirt everytime we play football, go for a run etc. He was unable to tell me Bentley''s first name, and thought that Dawson''s first name was Matt!!!

Where were the chelsea fans when Kerry Dixon was scoring in front of

10,000 people at the bridge in the 2nd tier of English football in the

late 80''s and early 90''s?A mate of mine and I went to watch Chelsea play Everton at Stamford Bridge in about 1987/88. We stood in the old Shed end (one of their fans proudly showed me how many bangers he had in his jacket pocket, so must have been near Guy Fawkes Night), Chelsea won, the afore mentioned Kerry Dixon was immense, scoring at least one), the place was falling to pieces, Uncle Ken had it surrounded by high wire fences, there must only have been 18-20''000 there, and thats pushing it...But the atmosphere was brilliant and would have put their Champions League game to shame.They were Chelsea fans, come to see the football, and they cheered their team throughout, from before the kick off, throughout half time, and to the end. No distractions, no TV to think about, plastic cups of tea from an old van. It was about the football, and no-one seemed worried about the stands, the facilities, just the football and just Kerry Dixon.Football in the 80''s is bad mouthed and given a terrible press now, but I reckon much of that is because it was just about the football.I remember -and hell, I was a regular in the old South Stand then, near that little underground tea bar, H block I think-enjoying the games at Carra'' for much the same reason then, we weren''t any great shakes, but we usually won at home, we had some good players coming through (Peter Mendham) and the atmosphere was always good. The Barclay were a constant source of amusement and when I made it in there for my first time (home to Sunderland, 1985, 0-0...fuuny how you remember those games...if we''d have won that, we''d have stayed up as well!) I enjoyed it tremendously, packed, noisy, and alarming as it sometimes was.I enjoyed football at the time very much, and, rose tinted spectacles or not, much of today could learn from the "total" football experience it was then.

These people are not real fans, fan is short for fanatic. If you were fanatical about something you would be knowledgeable about the team and go to matches.

These people are observers. The have a team they favour. They buy the £40 replica top, watch their team when on Sky, but don''t go to any matches.

Sadly that''s what football is about nowadays. They will never know the joy you feel from being at the game when your team scores (and hopefully wins), but that is their loss.

TOP POST JAS, I HATE PLASTIC FANS, I HAVE TO WORK WITH MAN URE FANS.. THEY ARE SO EASILY WOUND UP WITH........... " BLOODY HELL IF NORWICH EVER SPENT 35MILLION ON A STRIKER(FLOP) LIKE BERBATOV I WOULD EXSPECT NORWICH TO WIN EVERYTHING"

JUST REMEMBER IT TAKES A BETTER PERSON TO SUPPORT THEIR LOCAL TEAM, THAN ON A BAR STOOL WATCHING SKY.

MORE SOUL, THAN A PLASTIC!!

1. They have no affinity

and

[/quote]

I work with a Man Utd fan who has only ever been to their on a tourist visit NOT a live match and the sad fool  has a picture of him sitting in a empty ground.

I can''t stand them really. There''s hundreds of them at college, and they enjoy themselves way to much by mocking us City fans, and even a Watford fan (but, he''s from Watford and goes to see them play. Then again, he can hardly be a glory hunter and support Watford). We always get the "going down going down" chants etc, when they''ve never seen their team, and they have to make "an evening of it" when they watch Man U or Chelsea on tv. Most of them know less about their clubs than we do.

I feel sorry for them though, for all their annoyances they''ll never be able to properly celebrate their team winning anything, and they''ll never understand that drawing two games in a row isn''t the end of the world.  

1. They have no affinity

and

[/quote]

Totaly agree! Villa would have finnished in 2nd place if those 4 went

I know a Manure "fan" who has "supported" his club for nigh on 40 years, through thick and thin - from his armchair. Trouble is though, Man U haven''t gained a single penny from his loyalty, because he hasn''t once seen them live in all that time. I''m not convinced he would cross the road from his house to watch them live. Pathetic!!

What a ridiculous post.  Wreaking of jealousy.

Any ideas how many people want a season ticket for these four, and of course god forbid if someone has to actually live a few miles away from their club, say...for a stupid reason such as a job and earning a living.  Therefore if they don''t go regularly they simply cannot be a fan.

You would swap league one, the under-investment in our club, the sh1te we have to watch on the pitch, for some of the big four''s action!  I would for sure. 

What a stupid f*cking post.