Sign in to follow this  
norwichtillidie

need for DEFENDERS

Nearly all the post I have read recently, has been about the need for new strikers when the transfer window opens in January. I believe the problem with our league position and lack of wins this season, is the poor defending by our central defenders, and we will continue to leak goals until this is addressed. Whilst I like both Fleming and Charlton as players, I think they are too similar, both lack pace and height, and we shouldn''t be playing them as a "central pair". If Doherty was bought as a central defender, then lets play him there, if not give young Shackell a try until the transfer window opens. We have conceded 17 goals this season, 8 more than Everton and they have 14 more points than us, and therefore are third in the league. So come on Worthy lets get the defence sorted out before we start splashing out on expensive strikers.

I was only able to watch MotD on Saturday with my flatmates (1x Arsenal and 2x Manure - had a great Sunday!! ) and they commented on Norwich''s style of play. Attacking wise, it is starting to pull together, especially now Leon has been properly given his chance.

Our weakness definitely lies in the defence.
Drury pushes up too much on occasion and sometimes fails to track back on a break. Eddy is strong and pacy, and I don''t see many problems there. I totally agree about the problem being with the central defenders. They are both over 30, so lacking in pace which they so desperately need when facing the likes of Henry or Wright-Phillips. My flatmates'' main comments were that the defending is too withdrawn. Far too often I have seen each member of the defence (Holt as well) concentrate on the man with the ball and leave someone open in the box. They need to be much more agressive and be prepared to make strong decisive tackles earlier just as Ferdinand and Ashley Cole did on Sunday. I wouldn''t mind if they picked up a couple more cards if it meant not conceeding another 5 goals for example; it could even give the other defenders a chance if any suspensions were incurred.

We have had quite a few 0-0s where we have lost two points rather than gained one. i dont see much problem with the defence because they have only conceded to mostly top clubs. Everton are 2nd arent they? or something like that

I agree that the defenders limitations are now being exposed by average premier sides. During the summer I was pushing for a pacy central defender and we are still lacking that. However it had been masked by the positional sense of F in and Chalton but as Bent showed on Saturday pace is a killer.

I feel you are being a bit tough on Drury - he was our best attacking outlet in the first half on Sat; hes damned if he just defends and now when he gets forward too. However it does again expose a pace issue.

Finally I have to disagree about Eddie. We have seen very little of Eddies pace going forward this season and his distribution is consisntently shocking. His positional play is now being exposed too - he should have picked up Kilbane (along with 3/4 others rushing for the goal!) for his goal and should have been better placed to put Ferguson off (as should the centre backs) for the third - the far post is his to man - instead we had a last minute jump to look as if he was there - thats not good enough.

I agree that we need to try something else - I started a similar post yesteday -and as Shacks outperformed Doc feel he should get a chance to replace Charlton first. Helveg in for Eddie and Doc/Shacks with Flem against Toon seems in order.

A longer term pairing of Charlton coaching Shacks has a certain appeal as Shacks has pace and composure and with Charlton organising and supporting him with experience could work well.

OTBC

Sorry NorwichtilIdie but I''m still in the striker camp.  I think the defenders we have at the club are Premiership class.  If you look at the games where we''ve shipped the most goals it''s been Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton.  Very good sides.  I think in our current back four, with the Doc ready to step in (and Helveg if he gets his finger out of his arse!) we have a defence which can play well in the Prem.

However, I''m not so sure that our strikers are Premiership class.  No disrespect to Leon or Sven, they were both magnificent on Saturday.  But you don''t stay in the Premierhsip if you don''t score goals.  Ok, I know you don''t stay in the premiership if you don''t concede goals, but i think with our defence we are more likely to stay tight at the back than we are with our strikers scoring enough