Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Third Level Memories

As I don’t attend the games I’m sure I don’t have the same emotional tie and reaction of most Norwich fans that do attend. Therefore, for the most part, I’ve tended to stay away from the threads that allow the fans to express their feelings of anger and disappointment following relegation. It’s the right of football fans to express their feelings when things don’t go the way they want and expect.

I know it does not make it any easier for Norwich fans to consider that the fans of teams being relegated with us are surely experiencing some of the same emotions, but they are. Southampton are also returning to the third level for the first time since they were there with Norwich. Some posters have tended to discount that, citing the expense that the Saints engaged in with the construction of St. Mary’s as the sole cause of their demise. Those same posters spend very little time, however, commenting on the greater number of Premiership seasons and income Southampton had at their disposal and the relatively huge amount of transfer income Southampton realized. Charlton also had several seasons of Premiership income and did not waste a lot of money on buying big names. Despite those scenarios we’re all headed to the same place, and Southampton’s existence is not even yet assured.

The reason I’m writing this post, however, is because I have seen some posters use terms like disgusting and disgraceful that we will now see our club in the third level. I don’t see it that way. This is what football is about whether we want it to be or not. Some times clubs get relegated to a level they feel should be beneath them. Many posters are already speculating that we will languish in this level for several seasons. There is no basis to substantiate that whatsoever, yet this is the emotion that many want to put forth or dwell on.

I know they were different times, but for those remaining few of us that were attending the matches when the club was last in third level nearly a half a century ago we have some wonderful memories that are etched in our collective memories and will remain so for the rest of our lives. I don’t just think this; I know it and others can substantiate it. In the 1956-57 season Norwich finished dead last in the Third Division South, while our salt in the wound was to watch with envy as Ipswich finished the division as champions. Even worse, the very existence of NCFC was on a cliff edge. We didn''t know if we would have a team the next season. Despite that, the club and the fans rallied around and two seasons later we youngsters experienced joy that we will never forget. When that team was being forged I don’t think anyone had an inkling of the magic that was about to take place. And it was magic. Watching a group of previously average individuals work together and being the best that they could be. Standing on the terrace waiting for that moment when Bobby Brennan would endlessly tease the opposing fullback before putting the ball through his legs. Everyone knew it was coming, including the fullback, but it was still magic when it happened. There was nothing brilliant or flashy about our fullbacks, Ron Ashman and Bryan Thurlow but game in and game out they tirelessly stuck to their task. To watch a Jimmy Hill pass cut a defense apart or when crosses from either flank went in you didn’t have to wonder if Terry Bly would be where he was supposed to be. Yes, my fellow fans, ask anyone who was there. It was something we will never forget and it was while we were in the third level.

So vent your frustration at the club and submit your demands for improvement but don’t lose sight of all the history of NCFC and the type of fans we are. We are the Canaries, we rally round when the chips are down. We do not have a revolving boardroom like Southampton. They used to have a group like us. Bear that in mind. I’d like to think we have more of the spirit of Charlton as a club and their board, along with their fans who volunteered their time to clear the weeds at their ground and reclaimed The Valley after having to play their home games on the premises of other clubs many years ago. Charlton has not had a revolving boardroom. Act more with that spirit rather than what is often demonstrated at Newcastle. Delia and Michael may not be everyone’s cup of tea but Geoffrey Watling looked upon them favourably for a reason. Perhaps he saw Delia more as a daughter figure, having lost his own daughter at a young age. Nobody is perfect in this world but we have majority shareholders who are feeling the same pain you are. That’s not always the case so be careful what you wish for. And finally, for those who say let’s reclaim our club back into our community, I say balderdash. You’ve already got your club in your community. Push hard for improvements and clearer statements of intent but rally round together and the club will return to its previous standing.            

Great perspective on the current situation....thanks for the post, this should get the same billing as ''Whatever Happened to Norwch City ?''

As you say Yankee that team probably cemented The Canaries into our lives and ensured our  loyalty to them for the subsequent fifty years or so and gave us pleasant memories of the third sphere of British football.

The thing about that team was that they all fitted, each one was sound in their respective playing positions and each gave their all every match, there was never a man-of-the-match in my eyes because they were each the best. In essence they were a "team" in the real sense of the word and much of the credit for that was for manager Archie McCauley who blended this probably unrepeatable formation.

Top post mate, although I would definitely like to see some sort of change in the board room.

Top wage £20.00 a week regardless of what team what division etc. Players like The Count (Terry Alcock)could join us,enjoy the "relaxed" atmosphere in Norfolk and still earn the same money.

No false stars, and people you could identify with (and still can)

Never crossed your mind what division we played in just shouted your heart out for the team.

Most of them stayed and made a life in the County.

Somebody posted the other day about crossing the ball after running at pace (Croft) and how difficult to achieve. He obviously never saw Errol Crossan in full flight or Terry Bly on the end of the crosses!