Sign in to follow this  
Dionysus

Dion Dublin

Maybe not quite ready for management yet!

“If it was me I''d have Andy Hughes, Matty Gilks and Peter Thorne in an instant, because they are winners.”

He would make a fantastic assistant, and a good coach as well.I hope he comes back into the game in some shape or form, he''s a top bloke.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

We need a manager...........not another bloody legend!

[/quote]Yes not Dion Dublin for Manager, but if we had someone with a footballing nous like Dion, we''d have the chance of appointing the right manager.Plus Dion Dublin is a pundit now, I think he understands management better than Bryan Gunn

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]Yes not Dion Dublin for Manager, but if we had someone with a footballing nous like Dion, we''d have the chance of appointing the right manager.Plus Dion Dublin is a pundit now, I think he understands management better than Bryan Gunn[/quote]I was talking about Dion on the board there by the way.

That was my thought too, Mr Bump. Dublin speaks sense and is widely respected in the game. He has loads of experience of being managed and is astute, so I reckon he could tell a good one. (That is not the same as being a good manager though). What we need most at the moment is someone on the Board who has Dublin''s intelligence and good sense. That might prevent another almightly c**kup appointment.

Dublin on the board would almost certainly lead to the reappointment of Gunn.

''Dublin said altering the composition of the Canaries'' dugout may not necessarily prove the best way forward. “I don''t think Gunny is a bad manager at all.” He said the players need to be on permanent contracts not loans.'' (Evening News)

[/quote]

Absolutely. We have no idea what sort of a coach, manager or board member Dion would make. Great players seldom make great managers etc.

got to agree with first wizard and pablo, it would just be another risk, which we dont need....would be a bad move

[quote user="valiant"]got to agree with first wizard and pablo, it would just be another risk, which we dont need....would be a bad move[/quote]

I would certainly rate Dublin far far far higher than either Peter Grant or Bryan Gunn in terms of tactical nous in football.

I think too many people underestimate Dion''s knowledge and capability in the game.

Indeed, Dion would have a lot of contacts as well. Gunn retired quite early, and apart from Ferguson doesn''t seem to have many other contacts in the game, but i may well be wrong.

so would i! but i would still prefer someone else...(was going to say experienced but roeder was experienced)

Aidy Boothroyd would be the only other man in contention with Dion Dublin for me in an ideal world. Thats on the basis of the imposing style of footall he plays, as i know that if he could build and compose a side of his own in League One i know for certain that it would just steamroll over the league. Also his former connections with the club, and the potential of bringing back a character like Malky Mackay is certainly an interesting prospect.

And after all it''s only been a year or so since he was being touted as an England manager in the making.

[/quote]

You''ve hit the nail on the head for me Wizard, no disrespect to any of our legends but what is people''s obsession with having all  ex players in all the key roles??

Surely we must have learnt about our managerial appointments. We need to appoint using our heads not our hearts!!! The board should have an objective list of questions that should include (but not limited to the following:

Proven track record of delivering promotion contending sides (preferabaly at more than one club)

Well respected within the game with extended and genuine "footballing" contacts.

Able to deliver proven results whilst working on a stringent budget.

Proven man management skills, having the ability to use the carrot and the stick technique (in appropriate situations) in order to raise player performance.

Well respected and successfull backroom staff, ie having high calibre coaches, scouts, physios, sports scientists who will bleed for their gaffer.

Proven track record of nurturing youth talent and introducing younger player into the first team (and then selling on for a profit!!)

The key words above are proven / evidence of!!!!!

Don`t get me wrong Dion is a legend and I would love to have him back at the club in some capacity, but not as the head honcho. Everyone needs to do their apprenticeship. Having said that I`m sure he wouldn`t touch us with a sh**ty stick in any capacity 

[quote user="valiant"]i like the idea of aidy but would he come to us?[/quote]

I strongly feel he would myself.

He was often believed to be in contention for clubs much smaller (Brighton and Huddersfield) than ourselves to be fair, and is well known to hold us in high regard as a club, and is familiar with the structure having worked here as a youth team coach.

And the crowds, if we''re being honest, and not modest, are far more impressive and loyal than Watford, and i''m sure provide a much more fulfillng experience in itself.

I firmly believe that with the right backing (questionable though i know) he would be delighted to take over a club such as ourselves.

Outside of the boardroom, as a club i think we are an attractive prospect. It''s just a shame that those at the top are ruining things so horribly, and in truth, very thoroughly.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

You''ve hit the nail on the head for me Wizard, no disrespect to any of our legends but what is people''s obsession with having all  ex players in all the key roles??

[/quote]A master stroke of genius from our wonderful board - going from one extreme to the other. Employing people who don''t care about the club to employing ever ''legend'' they possibly can!

[quote user="John"]

He was often believed to be in contention for clubs much smaller (Brighton and Huddersfield) than ourselves to be fair, and is well known to hold us in high regard as a club, and is familiar with the structure having worked here as a youth team coach.

And the crowds, if we''re being honest, and not modest, are far more impressive and loyal than Watford, and i''m sure provide a much more fulfillng experience in itself.

I firmly believe that with the right backing (questionable though i know) he would be delighted to take over a club such as ourselves.

Outside of the boardroom, as a club i think we are an attractive prospect. It''s just a shame that those at the top are ruining things so horribly, and in truth, very thoroughly.

[/quote]

I`m slowly coming round to the idea of Mr Boothroyd. I wasn`t much in favour when Gunn got the job, due to his prefered style of play. Direct long ball tactics utilising very physical play. I didn`t think it fitted the Norwich way. But lets face it League 1 is going to a whole different type of game. If we attempt to play prissy prissy nice one touch football along the ground, we are going to get murdered by every mental clogger centre back in the division.

[quote user="Mutley"][quote user="John"]

[/quote]

I`m slowly coming round to the idea of Mr Boothroyd. I wasn`t much in favour when Gunn got the job, due to his prefered style of play. Direct long ball tactics utilising very physical play. I didn`t think it fitted the Norwich way. But lets face it League 1 is going to a whole different type of game. If we attempt to play prissy prissy nice one touch football along the ground, we are going to get murdered by every mental clogger centre back in the division.

[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts.

Neither did i want Boothroyd (at all in fact) for the very same reason as yours during the appointment of Gunn. But as games have gone on, and we''ve gone on to be bullied by almost every side in the division on the pitch, i''ve realised how little it (the style of football) has mattered to me. It''s the results, and currently our prefrences are costing us dearly.

We''re in trouble, and we need some bite back. And with Gunn, i honestly believe there will be quite a few clubs in League One that will walk over us if we persist with him.

[quote user="valiant"]got to agree with first wizard and pablo, it would just be another risk, which we dont need....would be a bad move[/quote]Who is the risk free appointment?