Sign in to follow this  
reacher

Why GUNN must not be Citys manager

1. He has no managerial experience

2.He had 19 games in charge enough time to impress and came up way short.

3.He has no tactical knowledge, just look at the Charlton game , wrong team selection and it took him till we were 3 down to realise we needed to

change things.

I will not accept any excuses from the board or gunny, if they say it was not his team that got us relegated, do not forget he was in charge of player

recruitment under Roeders reign.

He is big friends with Sir Alex Ferguson, did we get any loans from Old Trafford during this time, no but Burnley and Stoke  managed to get Chris

Eagles and Ryan Shawcross between them good job done there then.

What hope have we got if the board give him the job of rebuilding the whole team, I wrote a letter to the EDP  which was not published, when they gave him the job till the end

of the season saying the boards decision could relegate us to league division one and that an experienced manager would keep us up.

I am a Home and Away supporter, and feel so strongly about this decision that if Gunny is given the job I am seriously considering not wasting my money

travelling away next season, our fabulous supporters deserve better.

If the board make another drastic decision we could easily be heading to league division two.

PS Gunny is a lovely bloke, City legend and City thru and thru but not management material, please board do not put him and his family through hell.

Why do people assume that we''re going to get loanees from Manchester Utd just because Gunny and Sir Alex are friends for crying out loud?

I totally agree, for gods sake get rid of the people that "bleed yellow and green" whatever that means and go and get Jim Gannon as our new manager....top bloke

the fact that he played Jason Shackell at left back when we had a perfectly good replacement in Lappin sums it up for me why he shouldnt get the job.Im not a professional football person, but there were 4 men who are, Gunn, Crook, Butterworth and Deehan, and all of these guys decided they thought Shackell at left back was a good choice.Never in a million years would i have put shackell there as he has floundered at left back everytime he has played there in the past. And i work in sales. So why is it then that four professional football men decided to play shacks at left back. And what happened? 2 goals conceded from the left back berth whilst shacks was there and its game over after 30 mins.

I''m glad other people were as gobsmacked as I was at that decision. How could Butterworth who is supposed to be a defensive expert allow that to go ahead? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and shows just how inexperienced Gunn is. Lappin is hardly the best left back in the squad but at least he has a clue about how to play there, putting Shacks there made an excellent championship centre half look like a sunday league player. It wasn''t the only reason for us going three nil down inside 30 minutes but it played a major role in it!!!!! After the first goal he should have seen just how out of his depth Shackell was and changed the formation around, why put your best central defender out in that position, what on earth was he thinking?

On a related topic Billy davies had a similar amount of time in the job to Gunn and look what happened to Forest; safe before the last game of the season and looking forward to a play off challenge next term. Also he loaned in a striker with a proven championship record who can actually score goals (Dexter Blackstock) rather than a waste of space like Mooney!

[quote user="DontPanic"]I totally agree, for gods sake get rid of the people that "bleed yellow and green" whatever that means and go and get Jim Gannon as our new manager....top bloke[/quote]

100 % agree.

Although i agree wholeheartedly with the ''Shackell isn''t a left back'' thing, just to be pedantic, he has had a couple of good games there before.

His first game for the club was at left back and he played a blinder, away at Derby i think it was. Wasn''t he also played there against Cardiff in the promotion season when we won 4-1 and Hucks ripped them to shreds? Theres'' definitely been a couple, either way.

That said when a player has been our best for about 10 consecutive games in one position you don''t go and move him, especially not when there''s other options available to you. Madness, Gunny, pure madness!

But an even worse decision on the day, for me, was not starting Cody.

[quote user="reacher"]

He is big friends with Sir Alex Ferguson, did we get any loans from

Old Trafford during this time, no but Burnley and Stoke  managed to get

Chris Eagles and Ryan Shawcross between them good job done there then.

[/quote]

To be fair, these were PERMANENT signings, Shawcross was on loan at Stoke last season.  I also doubt that we could afford them.

On your other points, I agree, he simply isn''t good enough.  Just a terrible manager.

Sorry to be even more pedantic, but Shackell was at centre-back in that Cardiff game a few years ago (Malky was suspended).  However he did play at LB against Ipswich that season, but had a mare at Palace soon after and Worthy never tried it again.

But yes, playing him at LB against Charlton was madness.  When I saw Leijer on the pitch at kick-off, I assumed Shacks was injured, and was bewildered to see him on the left side.  As somebody said, I think all the staff, not just Gunn, have to take the rap for that.

...and his No.2 - Ian Butterworth says already that getting promoted will be a "big ask".

What the f**k is a "big ask"? Is it football speak for a difficult challange? If so will t be more difficult than losing five of our last six must win matches and getting relegated?

[quote user="SNAP"]...and his No.2 - Ian Butterworth says already that getting promoted will be a "big ask". What the f**k is a "big ask"? Is it football speak for a difficult challange? If so will t be more difficult than losing five of our last six must win matches and getting relegated?[/quote]

Just ask leeds or any other relegated club - of course its a big ask. 

It is always difficult to gain promotion;  perception of your own status as a "big" club means nothing - on that basis Sheff weds, Forest Leeds and Derby would all be automatic prem league ahead of us in place of fulham, wigan etc etc.

We are in league one on "merit" - that there are 44 better football teams than us;   to gain promotion we have to show that of the next 24 teams we are, preferably, one of the best 2 or can finish the season strongest of the next  4.  Just as every one of the 23 other teams in that league will want to do.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="SNAP"]...and his No.2 - Ian Butterworth says already that getting promoted will be a "big ask". What the f**k is a "big ask"? Is it football speak for a difficult challange? If so will t be more difficult than losing five of our last six must win matches and getting relegated?[/quote]

Just ask leeds or any other relegated club - of course its a big ask. 

It is always difficult to gain promotion;  perception of your own status as a "big" club means nothing - on that basis Sheff weds, Forest Leeds and Derby would all be automatic prem league ahead of us in place of fulham, wigan etc etc.

We are in league one on "merit" - that there are 44 better football teams than us;   to gain promotion we have to show that of the next 24 teams we are, preferably, one of the best 2 or can finish the season strongest of the next  4.  Just as every one of the 23 other teams in that league will want to do.

[/quote]completely agree, but can you honestly say you won''t feel even a little bit sick if Exeter finish above us next year. There''s expectations to be upheld, and us, and the other clubs you mentioned above have underachieved for far too long. Obviously it isn''t run by ''most popular wins'' (apart from the sky 4!) but we need to get back on track, and start being too strong for the Wigans and Fulhams of this world, but before that, the least i expect from us is to be in the same league as the likes of Barnsley and Peterboro, we are an underachieving club that should, (but doesn''t deserve at the moment) be competing at a higher level.

[quote user="reacher"]

1. He has no managerial experience

2.He had 19 games in charge enough time to impress and came up way short.

3.He has no tactical knowledge, just look at the Charlton game , wrong team selection and it took him till we were 3 down to realise we needed to

change things.

I will not accept any excuses from the board or gunny, if they say it was not his team that got us relegated, do not forget he was in charge of player

recruitment under Roeders reign.

He is big friends with Sir Alex Ferguson, did we get any loans from Old Trafford during this time, no but Burnley and Stoke  managed to get Chris

Eagles and Ryan Shawcross between them good job done there then.

What hope have we got if the board give him the job of rebuilding the whole team, I wrote a letter to the EDP  which was not published, when they gave him the job till the end

of the season saying the boards decision could relegate us to league division one and that an experienced manager would keep us up.

I am a Home and Away supporter, and feel so strongly about this decision that if Gunny is given the job I am seriously considering not wasting my money

travelling away next season, our fabulous supporters deserve better.

If the board make another drastic decision we could easily be heading to league division two.

PS Gunny is a lovely bloke, City legend and City thru and thru but not management material, please board do not put him and his family through hell.

[/quote]

I would add that he couldn''t get the players motivated for the big games - games in which they shouldn''t even need motivating. So what hope at the likes of Tranmere, Yeovil, Brentford, Exeter etc.

He has also said the we need experienced League One players to get out of League One - which is completely wrong. You need that extra bit of class to get out of League One. The likes of Swansea, Doncaster, and Bristol City were promoted with teams that played good football and provided a good foundation for the Championship.

[quote user="Barclayman your Carrow Road SuperHero"]the fact that he played Jason Shackell at left back when we had a perfectly good replacement in Lappin sums it up for me why he shouldnt get the job.[/quote]I saw Shackell play left back at Palace a few years ago and he was even worse. I''m not sure that I would have said that Lappin is "a perfectly good replacement" though. My guess is that they were worried about Lappin''s lack of pace/ strength at the back and wanted his crosses up front. Didn''t work out though did it?

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]Why do people assume that we''re going to get loanees from Manchester Utd just because Gunny and Sir Alex are friends for crying out loud?
[/quote]

We got loanees from Arsenal because of Roader''s connections with Wenger. Even if Gibbs felt lightweight at the time, look at him, now. He was quality! 

The number one reason why Gunn should not get the job on a long term basis is his inability to motivate the team in the most important game for the club in many a year.

Every manager makes wrong tactical decisions, but for a team to play like they did against Charlton is unforgivable. I don''t believe we had (past tense) a bunch of bad players, indeed we have all seen them play well at times, but what has been lacking is self belief and motivation.

Where do we find a manager that can deliver this on the kind of budget and squad we are going to be left with is another question

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]Why do people assume that we''re going to get loanees from Manchester Utd just because Gunny and Sir Alex are friends for crying out loud?[/quote]

We got loanees from Arsenal because of Roader''s connections with Wenger. Even if Gibbs felt lightweight at the time, look at him, now. He was quality! 

[/quote]The way he set up that first United goal in the Champions League was a touch of  pure Norwich class.