Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Mark Robins is the only answer

Because he probably satisfies the board''s "red and green blood" requirement, even if they have abandoned that absurd mantra now, PLUS, he offers strange and unfamiliar things like EXPERIENCE (esp of league 1) and a TRACK RECORD. They might need a dictionary to look those terms up. He will know the existing team were Butterworth and or Crook to stay on in any capacity.

As far as i can see he''s the only option that both board and fans would be comfortable with.

My worry is, are the board even thinking about and approaching other candidates? And would he take it?

Jim Gannon is a maybe but i''ve heard a few Roeder-esque stories about freezing out players he doesn''t see eye to eye with. Robins has to be the number 1 by a mile.

Robins doesn''t have any experience of managing in League One. I''d agree he is a good option but Gannon would be my first choice - the important difference between him and Roeder is that Gannon is actually a half-decent manager. And he took Stockport from a League Two relegation battle to spending most of this season challenging for the League One play-offs despite their financial problems, and did inevitably fall short in the end. Robins has done a fantastic job at Rotherham though.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

As long as we dump Gunn and his mates I''m not bothered no more.

[/quote]But good ol jamie lad bleeds yellow and green and is a totally inept striker- just like gunn cant manage...Would you keep jamie but not gunn?

oops - i thought Rotherham were in league 1!! better familiarise myself a lot more with these leagues now eh! :(

well, maybe he would take the opportunity to move up a division then.

plus not sure what impact this might have on things:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rotherham_utd/8044147.stm

Robins has managed for one season, do not think he is Ferguson yet and am concerned at the hype surrounding him - could he live up to the expectations of him on this board.

I really do not think 1 season constitutes a track record you can count on yet.  Seem to remember Bryan Robson won the League cup with Boro, still was not a good manager.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Yeah but everyone has to start somewhere. Give me a young, promising, hungry manager who wants to better themselves any day.[/quote]

Peter Grant? [Y]

Lets face it the fact that he has managed before means he''s more qualified than Gunn, Butterworth and Crook put together. He was at Rotherham in League One aswell so he would know that division quite well.

Would still rather bring in a manager with a few years behind him (who is not Glenn Roeder).

That''s unfair. Weren''t they given a points penalty last season as well and he nearly got them out of it.

They did have a 17 point penalty and am not suggesting that they did not do remarkably well considering, but also think a lot of these circumstances were so extreme that it is hard to take a measure of Robins'' managerial stones.

Think while he was there they had to sell the ground and training facilities as well.

[quote user="rjwc22"]

Robins has managed for one season, do not think he is Ferguson yet and am concerned at the hype surrounding him - could he live up to the expectations of him on this board.

I really do not think 1 season constitutes a track record you can count on yet.  Seem to remember Bryan Robson won the League cup with Boro, still was not a good manager.

[/quote]

Accept all that, but we need to wake up to where we are now. We''re not going to get Bryan Robson - not that i''d want him - or anyone close to his level of experience. The sort of experience that Robins or Gannon or Tilson has - where they have made notable achievements at a single club - is the best we can hope for. Although i''m not as keen on Tilson as others seem to be.

I hardly think he''s the only answer. Tilson is my choice. Young with exactly the experience we need and would bleed for this job if given the chance.

"the Millers sat 13 points adrift of safety, making the threat of relegation almost inevitable. This resulted in Knill being sacked on March 1, with Robins becoming caretaker manager. After a spell of three wins in six games while in charge as caretaker manager, and moving the club off the bottom of League One, Robins'' position was made permanent on 6 April 2007"

he''s spent over 2 years at a club with absolutely no money, consecutive seasons with points deductions and this season is playing at an atheltics stadium in Sheffield. Last season they finished 9th with a 10point deduction and this season would have been challenging for automatic promotion without the -17 start.

The fact he has released 9 players shows that he is already building his squad for next season. I think he''d want to stay at Rotherham for now. I''m out.[IMG]http://www.pleasethink.com/images/duncan-bannatyne.jpg[/IMG]