Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Promotion...A big ask says Butterworth

Why do you lot read into everything that somebody says - of course it is going to be hard - we will not have the same standard of players once the likes of Croft and Clingen (and maybe others) have left and of course other teams are going to play out of their skins when they face us (dont we when we play the big teams) - the man is only being realistic - he is not hardly going to come out and say we are definately going to be promoted is he cos then you lot would then slag him off for not keeping to his word - it is true what he has said Leeds and Forest both struggled and Forest nearly went back down there this year so nobody be fooled that we are going to beat teams 3 or 4 nil cos it just aint going to happen - even if this coaching team are not here and the likes of Robins or whoever come in I would bet your bottom dollar that he does not say we will be promoted and would probably go the other way and say what a tough task it will be   

I reckon there is more chance we will go down AGAIN as opposed to get promotion next season. Unless there is a serious change in how the club has been run for the last few years.

Just as I thought. After reading Pinkun''s version of his comments it seems they are ultimately more positive than what the BBC site made it out to be. Whilst ultimately it didn''t matter certainly think our defence looked far more comfortable with Butterworth coming in than during the Roeder era.

And have any of the current City squad admitted they do not fancy the battle?

“That''s what all these meetings are with the manager at the moment, so we''ll find that out over the next couple of weeks and hopefully we''ve got a squad with new additions which will challenge in League One; but obviously there''s a few more problems that need to be sorted out before that,” he added.

Quote from Butterworth:

In addition to most of the comments above, I find this alarming. IF we currently don''t have a manager, then who exactly is conducting these talks with the players and making decisions about who stays and who goes? And presuming no decision is yet made, what will the new man think if all contract negotiations are completed before he even sets foot in Colney?

I apologise if I have missed something concerning any announcement, but not surprised the same old disjointed thinking prevails at NCFC.

A few problems that need to be sorted out first? I''d say, like a manager being appointed and left to make his own decisions.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]And have any of the current City squad admitted they do not fancy the battle? “That''s what all these meetings are with the manager at the moment, so we''ll find that out over the next couple of weeks and hopefully we''ve got a squad with new additions which will challenge in League One; but obviously there''s a few more problems that need to be sorted out before that,” he added. Quote from Butterworth: In addition to most of the comments above, I find this alarming. IF we currently don''t have a manager, then who exactly is conducting these talks with the players and making decisions about who stays and who goes? And presuming no decision is yet made, what will the new man think if all contract negotiations are completed before he even sets foot in Colney? I apologise if I have missed something concerning any announcement, but not surprised the same old disjointed thinking prevails at NCFC. A few problems that need to be sorted out first? I''d say, like a manager being appointed and left to make his own decisions.[/quote]

I think that may be a euphemism by Mr Butterworth. I think the meetings are to find out who is willing to take a pay cut - and who isn''t. 

I would have thought the first priority of the club is to sort out the finance for next season for without that you are unlikely to get any outside candidate interested unless they know what sort of budget they will be given.

That''s fine in itself Cam, but why would Butterworth be mentioning it? What''s it got to do with him at the moment?

I fear the worst.

As for sorting out the finances, how long do we give them, considering their past record on this matter? I won''t hold my breath eh?

Gazza,

Like you I suspect that the Gunn team has been given the nod and they are simply softening up expectations to avoid having  too onerous a target or next year.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]That''s fine in itself Cam, but why would Butterworth be mentioning it? What''s it got to do with him at the moment? I fear the worst. As for sorting out the finances, how long do we give them, considering their past record on this matter? I won''t hold my breath eh?[/quote]

Whether it is Gunn or someone else ultimately running the show surely you need to know what sort of squad you are left with before the season officially ends.  Also they have to prepare a new contract if there are wage reductions - you cannot use the old one.  You can''t think about recruitment until you know who you may need to replace.  I presume that while Mr D is doing sums, Gunn and Co have been asked to find out who is really up for it and who isn''t.

I am just pointing out that if you do want to go for an outside candidate all this other side of it has to be sorted first.

[quote user="Lambo"]Until we''ve worked out what we''ve got to play with financially, which i very much doubt is alot, i do see promotion being a big challenge in all honesty.[/quote]

But our Delia said we will fight tooth and nail to get us back to the championship and give these fans what they deserve, O hang on, she said we had loads of Investment this time last year, hands up if you think someone is telling porkies again

In what way are Gunn and Co qualified to decide if a player is up for it? I would presume that means Pattison is deemed "not up for it" because he is angry about not playing. My issue is that this process needs to be handled by a new manager not Gunn.It leads me to believe that Gunn''s got the job if he''s judging whether players want to play in League One. Another ridiculous decision from the board who have known since Reading that we were to be relegated and plans should have been put in place then as to the future management of the club.

[quote user="Lupo Loop"]In what way are Gunn and Co qualified to decide if a player is up for it? I would presume that means Pattison is deemed "not up for it" because he is angry about not playing. My issue is that this process needs to be handled by a new manager not Gunn.

It leads me to believe that Gunn''s got the job if he''s judging whether players want to play in League One. Another ridiculous decision from the board who have known since Reading that we were to be relegated and plans should have been put in place then as to the future management of the club.
[/quote]

It''s a question of finding out who is prepared to take a pay cut.  They don''t have to take it - they can get out if their agent can find them something better.  The contract has to be renegotiated if a wage cut is involved.  I have little doubt that a number of your current players will be going out of the door as soon as the transfer season opens.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

sad to hear that he didnt come out and say "league 1? Pfft... will pi** this league!"

which is what we all want them to say.

jas :)

[/quote]spot on jas[Y]....as if we need to hear promotion will be a struggle FFS

delia and co "well mr butterworth do you think we will get promoted from league 1 this season"

mr butterworth " ummm it will be a struggle"

delia and co "you are hired"