Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Promotion...A big ask says Butterworth

This is exactly why Gunn, Butterworth and Crook should NOT be given the job to try and get us promoted next season. It''s quite shocking really when your assistant manager is already saying promotion next season would be a big ask and other teams would raise their game against us because were are one of the biggest teams in league 1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/8042618.stm

[quote user="colneycanary"]

This is exactly why Gunn, Butterworth and Crook should NOT be given the job to try and get us promoted next season. It''s quite shocking really when your assistant manager is already saying promotion next season would be a big ask and other teams would raise their game against us because were are one of the biggest teams in league 1.

[/quote]Promotion is a must for fooks sake!

[/quote]

The Canaries'' board has yet to decide if the trio will remain in

charge next season, but Butterworth wants the chance to restore some

pride at the club.

"We''ve had a couple of meetings this week and it''s been very positive," he said.

"When we came to the club there were one or two problems that are

well documented, and were not going to be solved in two months.

What are these "well documented" problems?  Apart from the fact most of the players are sh1te.

[/quote]

The sad thing is, he''s probably right.

This is not the kind of thing that our assistant manager should be saying. Has everyone at the club just given up?

[quote user="Destort"]This is not the kind of thing that our assistant manager should be saying. Has everyone at the club just given up?[/quote]

This is exactly what i was thinking. The management if it is Gunn and Butterworth should be quite confident that they''ll get us promoted next season. Very negative thinking Mr Butterworth!

The other strange this is that Butterworth doesn''t actually have the job for next season.... apparently.

Do you think this was part of the Gunn interview discussions?

So we''re considering a management team who have a poor record over 19 games resulting in relegation and think putting us back in the championship, where we came from, is a big ask.

You watch them get the job!

Why is he being vilified for stating the obvious?   We are a physically weak team,  bereft of goals and a midfield that only turns up one game in 5.   Thats before we get rid of the decent ones.  And before we mention a management team devoid of tactical or motivational ability and a fan base focused on board room battles rather than on pitch matches.  That really sounds like a team that will push from promotion next season.    

If we dont invest in some physical experienced players we will suffer mid table at best. 

If anyone thinks that promotion at least is all but guaranteed they are in for a shock.

We can get immediate promotion but everyone one associated with this club needs a change of attitude and focus. 

The only bit that annoys me is"We''ve had a couple of meetings this week and it''s been very positive," he said.

Regarding the going back up thing, if you look at the quotes he''s not actually said he doesn''t think we''ll go straight back up. All he''s said is that teams will raise their game against us and it will be a big ask, but in no comment does he say he doesn''t think we have a chance in hell. Did anyone actually listen to him on Radio Norfolk? It seems to me like this site has taken his words out of context a bit.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Why is he being vilified for stating the obvious?   We are a physically weak team,  bereft of goals and a midfield that only turns up one game in 5.   Thats before we get rid of the decent ones.  And before we mention a management team devoid of tactical or motivational ability and a fan base focused on board room battles rather than on pitch matches.  That really sounds like a team that will push from promotion next season.    

If we dont invest in some physical experienced players we will suffer mid table at best. 

If anyone thinks that promotion at least is all but guaranteed they are in for a shock.

We can get immediate promotion but everyone one associated with this club needs a change of attitude and focus. 

[/quote]

never a truer word spoken

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]The only bit that annoys me is

"We''ve had a couple of meetings this week and it''s been very positive," he said.
[/quote]

Well its not going to be negative is it? 

The board have to keep options open in case they cant find anyone else or genuinely (god forbid) believe that Team Gunn is the best option,  to give them the belief and confidence that the board are behind them

[quote user="pennywise "][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

never a truer word spoken

[/quote]

Its the whole sentence that needs addressing,  not just that bit pennywise.  The board have an all too clear part to play in this,  appoint the right manager and give him the funds to get experienced manager the club needs,  not an armchair manager whose best days since he hung up his excellent keeping jersey were as a corporate match day host.  

Does he actually say this? I couldn''t find it. We must go up next year regardless of who the manager/ board is.

[/quote]

PROMOTION PLEASE!

Is that a big enough ask?

He''s just being realistic.  Do we really have a side capable of streaking to the top of League 1??  I don''t think so.  It could take 2-3 years of building before we achieve that.  But achieve it we will!!

Until we''ve worked out what we''ve got to play with financially, which i very much doubt is alot, i do see promotion being a big challenge in all honesty.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more ZLF.

Surely nobody is expecting us to cakewalk it back to Championship football, are they ? The team will be vastly different from that which turned out - but didn''t usually turn up - last season. There''ll be lots of youngsters sprinkled with a few old heads and it''ll be a miracle if they gel straightwaway and unrealistic to expect them to do so.

It''s more likely that we''ll be able to climb out of our new home if some decent investment is forthcoming but even that will be no guarantee.

I think we''re marginally more likely to go up than go down again but I''ll be surprised if we''re not in the wilderness for at least two or three seasons. Looking at the current shambles that is NCFC I think a mid-table finish this time next year would be a reasonable outcome.

Is a very big ask under Smith & Co.

I would be planning for a relegation scrap under Smith & Co if I were you Butterworth.

Dampening down expectations of 3 points at home to Wycombe, Yeovil & Co... whatever next??? [:$]

I sack him purely for trotting out a classic cliche.What next we''ll be giving 110%?  You bet he will, as certain as night follows day.

[quote user="Smudger"]

I would be planning for a relegation scrap under Smith & Co if I were you Butterworth.

Dampening down expectations of 3 points at home to Wycombe, Yeovil & Co... whatever next??? [:$]

[/quote]

Look on the bright side Smudge.  You aren''t doing the planning.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And you won''t be there...

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And you won''t be there...

[/quote]

Absolutely right.  I can''t go so I just pay over the money in expectation and because they are my club (s).  You?

Here am I, one of 150 people who wrote four figure cheques to save the hapless Lincoln City not from adminstration but from going out of existence, who argued with the Administrators that uncleared cheques should be counted (and lost) and had to get it out in cash instead - meetings at 11.45 pm with the "action group" and the Administrators, the blokes physically counting out the money.

Here is a question Mello.  Aside from the smart IT posts, how much physical cash would you put into your club to save it from disappearing if push came to shove.

If Delia said: "Save me, save me" how much are you in for?

Or would you let it go out of existence?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="colneycanary"]

[/quote]

What are these "well documented" problems?  Apart from the fact most of the players are sh1te.

[/quote]Sounds reasonable, why look for more problems when that one''s enough?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="colneycanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Sounds reasonable, why look for more problems when that one''s enough?

Here we go again - it''s "little ol''Norwich" all over again - only this time in reverse! Instead of suggesting we will struggle because we are too small, now we are suggesting we are too big!

Maybe a bit more application in the last six games Mr B and we could have stayed in the Chumpionship where we were just right!

In all my many years of following football, this is the first time I''ve ever heard of a manager, or rather, an assistant manager, publicly write off a season before its even started!

What message does that send to the players?

Staggering!

sad to hear that he didnt come out and say "league 1? Pfft... will pi** this league!"

which is what we all want them to say.

jas :)