Sign in to follow this  
slaphead

what happened to lol morgan

Has  any body out there any info on our manager in the late 60s his name is Lol Morgan , he never seems to come up in dispatches regarding the clubs history etc .Thanks .

According to the centenary supplement from the EDP, Lol Morgan having tried his hand at management with Darlington and us, kept a promise made to his wife and quit Football altogether. He became a Manager in the brewery trade and stayed there until he retired at the age of 60. At the time of printing, he was a director of Rotherham Golf club.  Now having answered that, what happened to Willie Reid?

The last I heard of him, he was living back in his home town of Rotherham with his Missus Pauline, thats was a few years back now, I now he took up playing golf a far bit. I would say he would be nigh on 80 if still alive. I found this little snippet from The Northern Echo speaking of him as a true legend in Darlington''s History, I love the bit about when he joined City as manager.

On June 22, however, he succeeded Ron Ashman as manager of Norwich City after days of almost MI5 secrecy.

The

first caller had refused even to identify the club he represented; the

first clandestine meeting was in a hotel near Doncaster. When finally

he arrived by train at Norwich, he left the station on the floor of the

secretary''s car - Lol knew he was coming; Ron Ashman didn''t know he was

going.

He was sacked early in 1970, became a work study officer -

"I hated it, going through those factory gates every day was like going

to Wakefield jail" - turned down the chance to return to Darlington,

and to Bradford City, because both clubs insisted he move from

Rotherham.

Apart from a brief spell scouting for Spurs, and a £72 a year pension from the League, he has had no football connection since.

From the Northern Echo, first published Friday 21st Sep 2001.

The highlight of his tenure was the FA Cup 4th round 2-1 victory at Old Trafford in February 1967 against the Man U team who won the European Cup the following season - Charlton, Best, Stiles, Law & co.  It was my first ever away game . . .

Otherwise we''d established ourselves in the second division following promotion in 1960 but were treading water while he was in charge.  The board had the sense to realise that football is like trying to run up the ''down'' escalator, if you stand still you start going backwards, so they replaced him with Ron Saunders.  The rest is history . . .

He works in our local chip shop peeling potatoes.

He says hello to anybody who remembers him..................

Broadstairs, Was it not Ron Sanders that got us Laurie Sheffield. He did score a hat trick against Reg Mathews Englands number one keeper, playing for Coventry City. His first shot at the river end he almost knocked down the corner flat!.

Not sure. Thought it was Lol. Someone will remember.

Did Sheffield come from Plymouth? He turned out to be a bit of a flop overall.

here''s the man himself in his Doncaster Days[img]http://www.doncasterrovers.co.uk/pic/StoT/Sheffield,Laurie.jpg[/img]

[quote user="canary cherub "]

The highlight of his tenure was the FA Cup 4th round 2-1 victory at Old Trafford in February 1967 against the Man U team who won the European Cup the following season - Charlton, Best, Stiles, Law & co.  It was my first ever away game . . .

Otherwise we''d established ourselves in the second division following promotion in 1960 but were treading water while he was in charge.  The board had the sense to realise that football is like trying to run up the ''down'' escalator, if you stand still you start going backwards, so they replaced him with Ron Saunders.  The rest is history . . .

[/quote]

That was the highlight and I''m jealous you went to that game Cherub!! My first game was in the next round against Sheffield Wednesday where I was one of the 42,000 packed into Carrow Road.

Looking back Lol had a difficult job because he came in after the death of Barry Butler and the sale of Ron Davies. How would anyone have been able to replace two players like that? He tried with two Lorry''s[;)] Laurie Brown from Spurs at centre half and Laurie Sheffield at centre forward. And from then I remember as a youngster grabbing my grandads evening news every day to check for signings. Life was never dull in Morgans three years. We had a huge turnover of players but although he signed some players that went on to be a huge part of our success in the early 70''s he never managed to get the central defence and centre forward sorted which was his downfall. Strange really because he signed Duncan Forbes and already had Dave Stringer at the club but it took Ron Saunders to pair them up at the back. When the going got tough he brought in people he knew to try and dig him out of a hole. Ken Mallender, his cousin came in at centre half and Albert Bennett, a friend who he played with at Rotherham came up front. Albert was a hot prospect and I guess we only got him because of his injury problems and connection with Morgan. He was a fine player destined to play for England when he was at Newcastle. had his moments for us but the injuries did for him. He was responsible for one of my favourite Pink Un Headlines after scoring a hat-trick at Portsmouth on Grand National day in 1970. A horse called Gay Trip won the national and the headline was "Bennett makes it gay trip for canaries".

We can thank Lol Morgan for Alan Black, Geoff Butler, Duncan Forbes (incredibly signed for only £12,000), and Ken Foggo (signed for just £10,000). he also gave debuts to Trevor Howard, Clive Payne and Max Briggs. And of course the support of canary cherub, nutty nigel and others?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

That was the highlight and I''m jealous you went to that game Cherub!! My first game was in the next round against Sheffield Wednesday where I was one of the 42,000 packed into Carrow Road.

Looking back Lol had a difficult job because he came in after the death of Barry Butler and the sale of Ron Davies. How would anyone have been able to replace two players like that? He tried with two Lorry''s[;)] Laurie Brown from Spurs at centre half and Laurie Sheffield at centre forward. And from then I remember as a youngster grabbing my grandads evening news every day to check for signings. Life was never dull in Morgans three years. We had a huge turnover of players but although he signed some players that went on to be a huge part of our success in the early 70''s he never managed to get the central defence and centre forward sorted which was his downfall. Strange really because he signed Duncan Forbes and already had Dave Stringer at the club but it took Ron Saunders to pair them up at the back. When the going got tough he brought in people he knew to try and dig him out of a hole. Ken Mallender, his cousin came in at centre half and Albert Bennett, a friend who he played with at Rotherham came up front. Albert was a hot prospect and I guess we only got him because of his injury problems and connection with Morgan. He was a fine player destined to play for England when he was at Newcastle. had his moments for us but the injuries did for him. He was responsible for one of my favourite Pink Un Headlines after scoring a hat-trick at Portsmouth on Grand National day in 1970. A horse called Gay Trip won the national and the headline was "Bennett makes it gay trip for canaries".

We can thank Lol Morgan for Alan Black, Geoff Butler, Duncan Forbes (incredibly signed for only £12,000), and Ken Foggo (signed for just £10,000). he also gave debuts to Trevor Howard, Clive Payne and Max Briggs. And of course the support of canary cherub, nutty nigel and others?

[/quote]

And Kathy Blake.

Your first game was the same as mine NN.

Yes, I can well remember that Sheffield Wednesday game as well - I ended up sitting pitchside directly behind the Barclay goal and was able to see myself on Match of the Week on the TV the next day!  Wasn''t that the 2nd highest ever home attendance?  I think that I had been to two FA Cup games before that - Blackburn Rovers and Sunderland (although the Sunderland one may have been after the Sheff. Wed. one.......senility creeping in here!!!).  Those were the days.

[quote user="Kathy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And Kathy Blake.

[/quote]

Glory hunters . . . [:D]

[quote user="slaphead"]Has  any body out there any info on our manager in the late 60s his name is Lol Morgan , he never seems to come up in dispatches regarding the clubs history etc .Thanks .[/quote]

It was suggested at a certain dinner that he should go.   Soon afterwards he did!

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="Kathy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="canary cherub "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And Kathy Blake.

[/quote]

Glory hunters . . . [:D]

[/quote]

The pair of them are mere part timers Cherub.

I''d already seen a re-election a semi final cup run and a promotion by then.

Not to mention the club nearly going bankrupt and being bailed out by loans from Eastern Counties Newspwapers and Kings Lynn FC.

Strange how things come full circle if you wait long enough.