Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 III

Clingan future - Rumour only

Rumour from a friend of a friend whose friend knows Sammy Clingan, or some such, so feel free to disregard if you wish. Seems reasonable so I give it some credence but I''m not vouching for authenticity, just passing on what I''ve heard.

Apparantly Sammy is in no hurry to leave. He likes Norwich and is settled here and has no wish to jump clubs after only a year. Also he does want to help dig us out of the mire. His agent is respectful of this and isn''t flogging him around the clubs like others are (this is the bit I struggle to believe, but what the hey, this is what I was told).

He has no interest at all in playing in the Championship next year, and even with the relegation wage reduction, he''s unlikely to get much more money than he''s still on here anyway. He would consider Premiership, but doesn''t think he''ll get much interest there and says that Fulham never made an offer, just a tentative enquiry which they never followed up. The only other fly in the ointment is that he''s a Celtic fan (again, odd for a Northern Irishman, but then Neil Lennon was too so....) and they may be interested although nothing has happened yet.

Feel free to shout bulls*** if you will and I won''t hold a grudge as I don''t know how much of it I believe either!

Sounds reasonable to me. Always seemed to be very committed when he was playing for us. I think it would make sense to let him go to a Premiership club/Celtic if we received a far enough offer.

At the end of the day the relegation won''t effect his international career since Worthy is the manager and his performances for them have been excellent aswell.

Lets just hope we can keep him till January and if we are close enough to promotion he might stay till the end of the season.

I would prefer to see him stay till his contract runs out next season because I''m not sure we will receive much in the way of a transfer fee with only a year left on his current deal.

We need to keep the better performing players from this season if we are to have any chance next season.

Hope your friend of a friend is right. He''s a quality player and it''d be a huge boost to keep him next year.

If he does want to stay I hope the club don''t have to try to force a sale to make some money.

.. but wouldn''t that mean he leaves on a free at the end of next season.  Do we really want another Croft situation ?  

I think we should sell him unless he is willing to sign a contract extension, and if he likes it here as much as the OP states then surely he would be willing to, otherwise I smell a rat.

[quote user="paul moy"]

.. but wouldn''t that mean he leaves on a free at the end of next season.  Do we really want another Croft situation ?  

I think we should sell him unless he is willing to sign a contract extension, and if he likes it here as much as the OP states then surely he would be willing to, otherwise I smell a rat.

[/quote]

i spoke to semmy on the open day, he said he was contracted and liked norwich......but you never know! i hope he stays!

I really don''t think he will bother with another Champ team, so would only leave for the Prem, which to be honest, isn''t that likely.

Depends how much we can get for him. If its 500k then is it really worth it? Will we be able to get a similar replacement for that money. Or will the manager even get that amount to spend.

Plus Clingan was a free transfer so we would not really be making a loss on him like we are with Crofty.

Also not that its a huge point but it isn''t that surprising that he supports Celtic.A lot of Irish footy fans follow/support Celtic or Liverpool - or at least that has been my main experience.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

i feel with the nucleus being sammy clingan, with doc at the back, and lee and cody up front, it could be a perfect combo to push up out of the league.

besides, if we get promotion, hed sign a new contract ?

If we kept Clingan and get in some form of dynamic partner for him, we would have a brilliant center. The problem is even if we keep him I see him being paired with Russel again who really is not very good.

I made the right decision to get him on my shirt then [Y]Hucks, Crofty (i know hes off now but hes been here for like 4 years?), Cureton (dont ask) and Clingan are all v. loyal

That would be good;  an early season Clingan is a bonus with the squad we have.  But if a big team are interested we should snatch their money and use it well.

Does sound more like he is only staying because we are paying him well over the odds though...

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]If he stays then we should build our team around him and make him captain.[/quote]Definitely agree with this. By far is the most crucial player to keep imo. If this is true it would be very, very good news [:)]

Clingan would be immense at League One level, but I get the feeling he could be pushed rather than jumping by the board, we need all the money we can get and he would be our biggest asset, financially.

Hope I''m wrong, we can afford to keep him and he proves to be better than he was this season.

TBH it is not beyond the realms of possibility that this is true - and there may be several players who think they owe us something.  If so, Clingan is one I''d definitely like to keep, he could be very important having recently got out of League 1 with Forest. 

There are, of course, other factors to consider - but re: finances, for some, life isn''t all about money (even if footballers are more renowned for grabbing every penny they can) and I imagine even League 1 wages for our players will be several times what the rest of us have to live off.  Also, at times, quality of life has a huge impact - I know from personal experience that it can be difficult to entice people to East Anglia (been trying on and off to move back for years), but once they get there it can get into the blood - we all know of plenty of players from the (recent) past who hang around.

People on this board keep going on about re-claiming the season ticket cash.Well if they do,then this clearly will  increase the likelyhood of Clingan being sold.Season ticket holders must wave the rebate !

[quote user="chicken"]Also not that its a huge point but it isn''t that surprising that he supports Celtic.

A lot of Irish footy fans follow/support Celtic or Liverpool - or at least that has been my main experience.
[/quote]

Just to clear this one up he is a RC the same as Neil Lennon.

[quote user="Croydon Canary"]People on this board keep going on about re-claiming the season ticket cash.Well if they do,then this clearly will  increase the likelyhood of Clingan being sold.Season ticket holders must wave the rebate ![/quote][|-)]The club can wave it goodbye...

A friend of a friend also told me that he has no desire to leave here, but then added Reading have put in an offer for him.

[quote user="Norwich74"]Hope he stays or my sister will have to get a new dance teacher [:D]

Clingans girlfriend is the teacher not sammy haha[/quote]SAME!she is a bit of alright tbh haha.

it always makes me laugh how people Rave about Sammy.. but nottingham forest didnt fight very hard to keep him.. they clearly didnt miss him either.. they stayed up and the player who has been going through the motions for half a season helped us get relegated.

jas :)

[quote user="Croydon Canary"]

People on this board keep going on about re-claiming the season ticket cash.Well if they do,then this clearly will  increase the likelyhood of Clingan being sold.Season ticket holders must wave the rebate !

[/quote]

No Croydon Canary, the season ticket holders can make their own mind up as to whether they waive the rebate. They are entitled to have it back, just as they are entitled to give it back to the club. Im sure that they are all independant enough to make their own minds up. Some will give it back out of principle, some will keep it out of principle, and it them as individuals that decide what their own principles actually are. Not a stranger on a messageboard.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

it always makes me laugh how people Rave about Sammy.. but nottingham forest didnt fight very hard to keep him.. they clearly didnt miss him either.. they stayed up and the player who has been going through the motions for half a season helped us get relegated.

jas :)

[/quote]

In fairness, we would have been relegated long before if we had been playing Fozzy or Patty in the middle of the park instead of Clingan.

I also seem to remember that Forest offered Clingan a contract, which he rejected. End of, they tried to keep him, he said no.

Whether HE regrets that decision is a another question.

Clingan will boss most midfield battles in League One... as others have said, if he stays we need to build our team round him.As a testament to our squad''s deterioration, relegation will finally allow us to build a team around a midfielder for the first time since Francis and Holt. Which can only be a good thing, I think.

Clingan is possibly the most overrated player in the squad. Runs about a lot, passes sideways, passes backwards, passes to the opposition. Has been treated like our playmaker all season, but has no creativity at all. Still, he does take a good penalty!

Get rid, if anyone''s stupid enough to pay over £1 Million for him, snatch their hand off. Would be the best bit of business since getting  7 figures for Dickson Etuhu.

I''d love to see Sammy here next season, he might not always pass it forwards but in all fairness, why go forwards if it''s only going to give the ball away?

All we need now is for Hoolahan to say he wants to stay and i''d start to feel slightly more hopeful about a play off push next season.